New Graphics API
  • I don't know if this has been brought up before as a discussion but the new graphical APIs being introduced.

Quick summary, the main feature is to reduce the workload on the CPU in PCs and spread the workload across all of the cores and threads the CPU possess; supposedly allowing the graphics card to be less idle and thus more gaming FPS/performance. Basically a more streamlined process. 

This originally started as AMD introduced a New API called Mantle which allowed the developers to have more control over the GPU with a new streamlined API. Being AMD developed tech it was exclusive to AMD GPUs and few games implemented it. Not long after Directx 12 was introduced which made Mantle pretty much obsolete taking a very similar approach to the API but supporting AMD and Nvidia cards. After this AMD donated their source code to the Khronos group to be made use of in the form of a replacement for OpenGL called Vulcan.

Vulkan is just leaving early stages of development and their is no real performance enhancements yet and almost no game support. Saying that their are a lot of companies involved with the API and it seems incredibly promising especially being in development on pretty much any platform. The aim is to eventually replace OpenGL Directx's open source competitor. Personally I feel eventually this will potentially become awesome and I see this as a really positive move for gaming on all platforms. it also introduces some new graphical features/effecrs.

Directx 12 Firstly this is only available on Windows 10 and also leaving early stages of development, you want Directx 12 you have to be running Windows 10. Already warning signs. Their are a few games knocking about that support this API and I am sure more soon but performance has been disappointing/ broken in a couple of articles I have read about multiple games using Directx 12; But here is the real dick move, Microsoft is allowing Directx 12 games to be sold through services such as Steam, but restricting the graphical effects that can be used unless sold through the Microsoft store. It looks as though Microsoft is going head on with retailers such as GOG and Steam. 

Sorry I am too tired too carry on {2 AM) and a little drunk but just gave a little summary. I just wondered if anyone else has any relevant thoughts. {and sorry if this is a repost}. Hopefully soon much better performance in PC games fingers crossed. And godspeed  to the games using the new APIs well and improving perfomance and bringing new effects as well as the improvements of the APIs.

Does anyone else but me give a shit about this being a tech junkie?
    1. Does anyone else but me give a shit about this being a tech junkie?2 votes
        Yes
        100.00%
      1. No
          0.00%
  • I think the key here is adoption. Unless Vulcan is well received and actually practiced, it'll fade into obscurity. Hopefully by open sourcing it, it'll inspire something next along the line if its not implemented.
    The same with Direct X 12 - Microsoft needs to ungate it.

I think immediately this stuff won't make much of a splash but after a certain tipping point, coupled with Moore's law, there'll be a sudden step up for everyone, including the low-end crowd. If I were a console manufacturer; I'd be looking at that.

The CPU optimisation debacle is a disgrace. If you look at how Intel are making their compilers and what they're doing with their Phi cards with the many well-leveraged CUDA core archi; you would think all this would just be common sense and highly sort after. But again, because of Moore's law, we can be lazy and software can get carried by hardware. I wish we strived for the converse.

Personally I was always very excited for AMD's APU plans but they've been outstripped by mobile chip manufacturers. I hope that AMD stay around for a long time because they're great at making these little breakthroughs (garage eureka moments) whereas Intel is more a powerhouse for distributed compute/clusters (i.e. enterprise).

I think the next jump in PC gaming will just be hardware getting better, more compressed and the line up getting flatter to the detriment of the full-size gaming rig crowd. Just look at how they're cramming 980s into laptops - desktop class GPUs should as big as possible and yet we seem to be trying to go smaller (R Nano) and make flat the mobile x desktop divide. Great news for iPad owners, but from running a GTX Titan, a 980, and a Quadro - minus the Quadro - the line is getting blurrier and I'm wondering where we're going with all this.
    Noobied by 18drawt
  • Pascal dropped. Boy I'd be kicking myself if I just bought a Titan.

Its such a large jump too which strengthens the colossal elephant in the room which is Moore's law vs software catching up.
  • Someone buy me a 1080.
  • Wow that 1080 is fucking amazing. I would go for one if I had more PCi lanes. It just gets me excited as to what awesome hardware will be available in a a few years when I build my next PC. Especially when intel eventually do their manufacturing process size drops.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week