(XB1/Win10) Gears Of War 4: Official Discussion Thread

News has been pouring out of the wet-works for Gears 4, and I've decided to make a thread for the pre-discussion, and discussion about the news for the game before it drops later this year. I've always been a big fan of the Gears series and have been replaying Gears 2 since it's backwards compatible on Xbox One along with the rest of the franchise.

Are you excited for the next game? Let's talk all things Gears! Official game discussion topic will be dropped about a week off of release which again is later this year.

E3 2015 - Gameplay Trailer

Game Informer Coverage Trailer

Meet The Gears 4 Cast - Gameinformer

Let's talk Gears!
  • Gears 2 was awesome. I used to love the horde mode. I liked all the Gears games, but I can barely remember that spin off game. The one that didn't focus on the 2 main dude bros. I'm interested to see how Gears 4 turns out, and I will play it on a friend's Bone as I do with all the M$ exclusive stuff these days. Will it follow Halo down the drain? Or rise to the occasion?
  • I like the idea of it having more of the horror..ish aspects of the original.

Looking forward to seeing more of it.
  • Halo? Down the drain Halo 5 was an incredible game. Okay so the series isn't held with as much reverence as maybe 10 years ago but 5 was still a great game.

The shitty, shitty Gears game was Vengeance also. My god that game was terrible.

I'm hoping Gears 4 will be good but the last release didn't leave me with much hope. Vengeance wasn't made by epic's main team either. This one does t even have epic's touch. I'm worried because I loved Gears 1,2 and 3. I don't think it will work I really don't.
  • 4 and a half hours with 1 of those hours being cutscenes? Incredible?

Like I've said before. I guess we have different standards of excellence.
  • Not sure how I feel about the news that the campaign is 30fps and the multiplayer is 60fps on the Xbox One.

Having played a few locked 60fps games (and some that mostly stay close to 60fps) I really like the feel and responsiveness of 60fps even on campaigns. I would have rather liked the campaign have a dynamic resolution but Gears has been fine running at 30 in the past so hopefully it shouldn't be too big an issue.

• Old Man Marcus & Robots.
  • @amardilo I always loath the fact that 60fps is often overlooked particularly on consoles. Yes we get shinier graphical effects and the game looks better in trailers. But the difference between 60 and 30 really effects the responsiveness of gameplay and completely changes the whole feel of the game for the better at 60. It should definitely be the standard for games by now. But games get tolerated at 30fps and for the majority I cannot see changing any time soon unfortunately.
  • @8drawt I recently got a gaming PC so hopefully I'll be able to play the campaign at 60fps.

The PC specs are out now

Gears 4 PC specs

• @amardilo Hopefully you will :) 

Always nice to have the ideal specs except i have a 4770k (as opposed to 4790k)  but it is clocked at 4.6ghz thanks to water cooling. At this point my PC doubles up as a wind tunnel, the only way it can survive as it is in the attic room and somehow it is 20 degrees hotter than the rest of the house.

Does anyone play at 4k? I cannot see even a gtx1080 putting out a comfortable 60fps at 4k, but then I don't play on a 4k monitor.
  • I still feel like 4k is in the minority right now. I don't know anyone who games with a 4k set-up, but I might transition to that when Xbox's Project Scorpio comes out. I'd love to build a new 4k capable PC right now, but I'm currently unemployed since I went back to school, so things are tight.
  • I have got a GTX 1080 and a beasty PC I am tempted to try it at 4k on the main TV just for the hell of it to see how it looks, but it would be pushing out a crazy amount of pixels I am sure it would just flop dead under the load.
  • Recommended 1060 already? Lmao what. That card just came out. Ridiculous.
  • Anyone been playing this? Looking for some thoughts/opinions before I dive in.
  • I played a little bit. It's Gears. If you liked them up to now you will enjoy this one. The new enemies seem to be just reskinned Locust. I have heard the ending sucks because it's sudden and clear sequel bait but is anyone really surprised by that at this point?
  • I might just con one of my buddies into giving me their Gears 3, and Judgment codes for the time being
  • @Manio. Just ask for 3. Trust me. You don't want judgement.
  • I'm about halfway through the campaign and so far so good.

The game looks amazing, the added effects from stuff like wind flares really changes the way the game plays, not dramatically but it's more than just a visual thing. Also the sections in the dark really make it seem like the original Gears. 

Gameplay wise it plays like other Gears games and everything you do (weapon fire, snap into cover and movement) feels like has a weight to it.

I also played some multiplayer, I was on PC and my friends were on Xbox One. We were all in a Party Chat playing a few rounds on a Private lobby (not sure how Ranked play works with this setup) but it all worked (server loading took a while though but this could be due to launch issues).
  • I think ranked seperates console and PC gamers.

I have just started act 3. Not played any multiplayer yet. I think me and my girlfriend are gonna have a run through horde this weekend. Put it on easy for her see how she gets on.
  • Compared to the previous Gears titles (Judgment included) how would you guys rank the games?
  • Toss up between Gears 1 and 2 for first place, then probably as they've been released is my order of preference. But I haven't played much of Gears 4 yet so that could change.
  • Really I would probably go 4,2,3,1 then judgement way way way down below. So far down you can barely see Bairds smug assed, annoying face.

2 made huge improvements in story and Horde obviously. 3 followed that through. 4 is more Gears with a few sweet extras. I like the cross play, it looks beautiful and the leap over cover and the grab moves are kinda awesome. 1 was great when it came out but the others built on the foundation Gears of War set down.

And judgement just sucks dick worse than my ex girlfriend who had the bucked teeth.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week