Noobtoob's Week in Gaming: 23/11/15
  • Who likes video games?  You bet you do.

(360) Red Dead Redemption It's the same with any game like this - I make massive surges forwards in main-lining core story missions and then go away, look at a walkthrough and get really bummed out over how far I still have to go.  It's at time like that that I have to remind myself that the story missions are 10-15 minutes long at the outside and are generally fun, so it's not necessarily a bad thing...

(360) FIFA 14 I was sooo close to walking away, but I had made it to a mid-season transfer window and couldn't resist.  Mario Balotelli (free transfer) was off-loaded for a healthy profit, as was the other high-profile free transfer I had made at the start of the season (Toni Kroos) to make way for a younger, more mobile central attacking midfield option.  It's weird, in my previous career mode, Kroos was an absolute monster for me, but this time round he could barely hold onto his starting position in the team.  

Then, just as I was thinking that I was going to be able to rely on Julian Draxler to help me bed-in this new kid, he handed in a transfer request and, days later, Real Madrid came in with an absolutely insane £60+ Million bid for him.  Now I had already been worried that I had been fleeced when I bought Draxler for somewhere in the region of £38M, so I almost had no choice but to accept the bid.  As it stands, I'm going to have to make it through the rest of the season with the new signing guy supported with two (admittedly very promising) youth team guys.  In a slight panic, I re-signed Ross Barkley back to Blackpool on a free transfer when his current contract runs out.  People with oddly-specific long memories will know that I had never really wanted to let Barkley go in the first place, so getting him back for free (and after what appears to be a couple of very strong development seasons at Lille - his stats are in the high 80s now!) is pretty cool.

Finally, with Balotelli and his enormous wage bill gone, I can now give my other three strikers the time on the pitch they need to develop, as all three have the potential to be megastars.  On that note, I also signed the Yaya Toure re-gen from Spurs and he looks to be a handy signing too.

What was it I was saying about stopping playing this again?

OK, enough from me.  WiG on Wigglers.
  • Fallout 4, hours and hours of Fallout 4. Maybe it should be called Fallout 3.75, but it makes me very very happy.
    Noobied by 1Juic3
  • Walking Dead Season 1 (PS4) - This included the DLC I hadn't played before so I went through it all again. The DLC was pretty worthless. I don't recommend it. The main game was OK though, and it got me 1 plat closer to 100.

Borderlands 2 (PS4) - Finished off the main story and levelling up my characters now.

Bloodborne - Prep for Old Hunters, which is now here!

Currently at 98 plats.
  • Go! Go! Go!
  • Little gaming was done this week, too caught up watching Tokyo Ghoul and Dragon Ball Super.

Rocket League - Trying to get up to Gold rank in Doubles. I don't see this game getting old for me any time soon... It's crack
  • Fallout 4 (PC): Lots of this, I am around 33-34 hours. It is fun. Flawed but fun, with Bethesda's bread and butter exploration and questing shining through the half baked (maybe even quarter baked) settlement and building system. I don't know how much more time I will put into it, but I imagine it will still be fairly substantial.
  • Stop looking at walkthrough, Egg. Why would you do this? Why?

Finished AC Syndicate. Did a thing with a rift that really surprised me in a great way. Good game. Still prefer Unity though. Combat still trash.

Picked up Rise of the Tomb Raider. Holy fuck that's an incredible game. Glad I picked it up. Mega-sized improvement over the last one, which was also really good, but MAN, this is good.

Put Fallout 4 aside for a while. I'm just not invested. I'll come back.

Battlefront is a lot of fun due to its more accessible nature. I like it a lot.

Blops 3 is still good in short bursts. As an old-ass man in my 30s, I find the hardcore modes more appealing because I don't get reflex-crazy children killing me after I start shooting them. This might just be the way to go from now on.

Been trying to play more Starcraft II Legacy of the Void but I gotta say it, I think RTS games are mostly dead at this point.

I picked up Guitar Hero Live based on a big price cut ($54 I believe, maybe 60? as opposed to $99) and I'm pretty interested in their live channel. Sounds like the solution to everything wrong with rhythm games imho.
  • Just trying to gauge how much further I have to go Sunny, no spoilers...
  • Transformers Devastation (XbOne) I beat it! It was a ton of fun! A little on the shorter side but I had a good time all the way to the end. It took me about an hour to get used to the controls so I played on Normal difficulty but once the gameplay clicked I wish I had played on Hard! The combat is pretty deep. I will probably replay it at some other time though.

Eschatos (PC/Steam) I played a few different shmups on Steam before I decided to try and beat this one first. Its really fun and runs well. I'm playing on easy and I've gotten to the last boss so I'm really close now to beating this. I want to beat this game, at least on easy but with the new Bloodborne dlc out this week this may be put on the back burner again.

I played a handful of other games on Steam this past week but only for a few mins so nothing worth mentioning right now, I will definitely go back to those other games later though. Oh and Downwell is still fucking fantastic! I still can't get past the 2nd area yet though, but I'm getting close.
  • Pretty much all Fallout 4 all the time. Well when I got free time anyway so much so that at the weekend. I just had to play something else.

In came EA Access. £3 a month and it seems pretty cool. 10 hours of Need for Speed and 10 hours of Battlefront. I played about 2 hours of each. They are both good.

I'm not a multiplayer kind of guy so 10 hours of that will be plenty for me and as far as I'm aware Need for Speed games are generally short. I wonder if I can blast through it in 10 hours. I hope so.

Battlefront also led me to change my stance on Star Wars. I don't know if any of you know but I stood very much in the Star Wars is dull category of people. Too young for the original trilogy and too old for the prequels I think.

Anyway after playing battlefront I gave the films a shot again. I watched all the prequels Sunday and watched A New Hope today. It's safe to say. I'm in. I admit I was wrong. I like Star Wars. There I said it.
  • That's the equivalent of checking your goddamn watch in a movie theater, Egg. Don't do it! Just soak it up. It's over too soon. Heck of an arc, too...
  • The Whispered World

Put a half hour into it and couldn't tough it out. I like point and clicks, but the UI is so unintuitive, its voice acting is awful, and its characters are so annoying I couldn't stand it. It's a shame that such nice art was squandered for such a mediocre game and premise.

CSGO

I don't put much time into multiplayer games, but a bunch of friends from high school that I haven't seen a long time want me to come to one of the few surviving gaming cafes, and I know this is going to be the headliner. I've played this here and there, and it definitely feels more arcade-y and player friendly than the other CS games. It's hard to put into words.

Shining Force

I dig this. It should be said that I've only played the original, famicom Fire Emblem (which is 3 years older and established the genre), but I enjoy this more. I like exploring towns, and I think it moves along really nicely. The battles are fairly short and it's definitely less punishing. I also like that in battles turns are reliant on the units themselves rather than going back and forth between armies; it feels more strategic and units with high Speed are really useful. I just finished Chapter 4, and I read there's 8 Chapters, which means this isn't a terribly long game which is always a plus for me. I don't really like long ones.
  • Skyrim (PS3)  Got my ass kicked by Alruin on the mountain got to change my load out and also had the glitch dat Alruin took no Damaga

Warframe (PS4) Fomorian attack event happening tried that a few times

Destiny (PS4) Deleted this pay to play game, Could not level up, could not use my legendaries, even several trophies from the main game are locked unless you buy the taken king, Fuck you
    Bungievision!

As The walking Dead: Season 1 & 2 Vita/PS4 free on PSN+ i finally finished the first one, i really hate the illusion that your choices matter as certain persons i wanted to survive die, no matter what you do. And now and old friend is back and the game expects me to lie to him?
    Annoying part is that your saves are system bound but your choices are uploaded to the server, as the choices the game generates were almost exactly as how i played or it is just more proof that the choice making is an illusion.

Tried Invizimals on the Vita but it is just an PSP port then you have to use some kind of paper object to catch invizimals. Didn't feel like pointing my vita everywhere so i removed the game.

And used the free space to install Broken age which i played a little, looks interesting

Far cry 4 (PS4) Started this and i am enjoying it is Far Cry 3.75 :P had to get used to the different controls though. It was satisfying to see an elephant destroy the enemies ;) and free the outpost without me lifting a finger, wildlife is nasty though got killed by a badger!

Oh and Skylanders Swapforce (PS3) finished the game now going through the levels on nightmare difficulty 

• (Xbox One) Fallout 4 - Just hit level 28 and planning on getting to level 30 by the end of the week. I spent over a 35 hours without going to the big main city/town but I finally forced myself away from side quests to go there.
  • Those assaultrons are no joke. In Fallout 3, once you are level 12 or so, nothing can kill you unless you screw up. I like that 4 continues to up the challenge even as I am pushing level 30. I managed to clear the entrance to vault 95 with about 50 rounds of 308 ammo and lots of running away and coming back. No way am I going in for mandatory close quarters down there until many more levels... or maybe I just go get my power armor and so fuck it. I have like 24 cores and never use the thing.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week