Your favorite films
  • A few years back we had a discussion that was intended to aggregate the communities favorite films into an all encompassing top 10. I don't intend to do that, especially when we don't have enough active members to create such a list, but I would still like for everyone to say what their favorite(10 or so) films are and why. 

Noobied by 1Manio
  • To be honest, I can't really think of a top 10 clearly. My favourite films fluctuate a lot and upon rewatches or time gone by, things can easily rise or lower. These are the ten that most jumped out to me as of right now.

Amelie: Infinitely whimsical and Parisian and uplifting. Fantastic soundtrack and really clever visuals and narration. 

American Beauty: Super upper class but still incredibly universal in its pursuit of seeing beyond the surface and looking for something beyond a consumerist rat race. All four main actors hit it out of the park, allowing the movie to transcend cliché angst and suburban plight. Kevin Spacey's ending voice over is tragic and still imparts a sense of hope that we learned something from the experience.

Blade Runner: Tech noir perfection, visually perfect and the soundtrack just pushes the mood even farther, cigarette smoke caught in the light of blinds, neon signs, offworld utopia, the grime of earth. "Tears in rain..." speech probably is the best improvised speech/moment in cinema history, all respect to Casablanca and Star Wars. More to chew on than most movies. Is Deckard human or replicant? 

Drive: Infinitely watchable style meets substance. Opening sequence that just nails it. Minimalist and gripping and utterly pace changing halfway through. Music is used to perfection, drenched in 80s synth. "My hands are dirty." "So are mine." Fantastic quip. Treats violence with the respect it deserves. Probably my favourite movie of the 21st century.

A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night: Noir spaghetti western. Very 80s and feminist and scenic and doused in visual jokes. Lead actor is commanding as a vampire. Taut love story without really being about love. Some scenes here that are drawn out to perfection.

The Matrix: Best discussion of free will and reality in a movie, ever, hands down. Best action sequences perhaps, too. It is not perfect. But from beginning to end it's roaringly entertaining and it eschews pop sensibility for sci-fi weirdness and philosophy.

No Country for Old Men: Maybe the creepiest villain since Hannibal circa Silence of the Lambs. Mostly a straight thriller but done to perfection. Has a truly amazing scene involving a coin and a cashier, easily a modern classic. Dark and not bursting with anything in the way of positivity. Violence begets violence.

The Place Promised in our Early Days: Still melancholy perfection, discussion of the nature of dreams and reality, still a love triangle done well, and an opening monologue that instantly conjures all the feelings of something lost. We all grow up too fast.

The Shawshank Redemption: This is nothing but a well written, immensely polished, triumphant story about human survival. That's it. But it's done so well it's hard not to love it.

Sunshine: Maybe the best acting from an entire crew on this list. Combination of nobodies and minor somebodies and yet they are all in stride. It feels like a crew that has grown up together. Eerily drums up the suspense as it goes to the point of definite creepiness. Really good soundtrack. 
    Noobied by 1shozaya
  • The Dark Knight
    Wonderfully directed and brilliantly scripted. It's also full of wonderful performances, with Heath Ledger and Gary Oldman leading the pack. Chris Nolan's middle child in his post 9/11 commentary has more ideas than it knows what to do with. At it's core it's a piece on morality, featuring the most deontologically consistent hero of all time, showcasing that in our worst times the best comes out of us. It's also works as an adaptation of both "The Long Halloween" and "The Killing Joke." 

Blade Runner
    I can't think of a film more perfectly designed than this. Aesthetically it's one of the most breathtaking films I've ever seen; the best of science fiction coming to the big screen. Outside of its immense style, the main driver of this film is its ideas. What does it mean to be human?

The Shawshank Redemption
    Put simply, it's a film about hope. Even when that's all you have, it's really all you need. It also has Morgan Freeman's single greatest performance. Nothing better than his speech regarding "rehabilitation." 

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
    The scene in the bookstore alone is more than enough reason to put this film on anyone's top ten. Joel is doing all he can to hold onto Clem, but the damage is done, the covers begin to fade and in their finest moment everything goes white; he's lost it. 

Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back
    This is pure gold. Han says okay. Vader is revealed as the father. "Do or do not, there is no try." It's the high water mark of the franchise. 

Apocalypse Now
    Coppola's best and most brutal work. The juxtaposition of glee and war, happiness and hate; "I love the smell of Napalm in the morning." Turning a man's soul inside out until he's something he never dreamed to be. I'm met many great men who have served, and through them I've seen that war is the most unholy of our creations.

Chinatown
    Perfect script. Nothing more needs to be said.

The Secret of Nihm
    I sometimes wonder what we'd be like if we weren't aware. We all constantly live in a state of cognitive dissonance. I guess that's part of what actually makes us human. The other part is our love and empathy. The rats of Nihm and Mrs. Brisby are perfect analogs for the best and worst of humanity. Oh, and that wonderful Don Bluth animation; who doesn't love that?

Once Upon a Time in the West
    This film is stunning. You learn so much about production, design, sound, and cinematography just by watching it. It's a slow burn with Leone deliberately pacing each and every scene. You get to soak in every moment, and subtle glance and stare. Also, that soundtrack is perfect.

That's nine. I'm stuck on another 5 or 6 films that I would willingly put in my top 10. Those nine, I'm quite confident about.
  • No clue, really. I've got a top 10 for every year since 1920. There's no way I could slim it down to 10 overall.

For something recent I really liked Blackhat.
  • Really? Heat was the pinnacle for me. Mr Mann just makes the same movie over and over. Even as good as Heat is, it would not make my top ten.
  • Yeah, Heat's better, but Blackhat gets a lot of stuff right. I think it's his most forward-thinking aesthetically. The use of sound and image alone was enough for me to love it. Definitely one of the 3 or so best I've seen from 2015.
  • Kung Fu Hustle.
  • The Big Lebowski
    Leon
    Rocky Horror Picture show
    Night of the living Dead
    A clockwork Orange
    Hard Boiled
    Saviour of the Soul
    Totoro
    Seven Samurai

And that are just the tip of the iceberg
  • Star Wars (original unfucked trilogy) - If I had to choose 1 from the 3 I guess it'd be New Hope.

Clash of the Titans (1980's version)

Highlander 1 -a Frenchman playing a Scotsman while a Scotsman plays a Spaniard. Whoever did the casting for this movie snorted cocaine a little too heavily before making his final calls. Comedy gold. And Christopher Lambert somehow managed to marry Sophie Marceau, which I can only assume is the gods having a laugh.

Battle Royale

Fight Club

Downfall

This is Spinal Tap

Aliens

Caddyshack

Rain Man

The Godfather

Just the ones that popped into my head now. My only selection criteria were movies I've watched several times and wouldn't hesitate to watch again. There are plenty of others that I love but mostly from the 80's or 90's or earlier. I generally don't do movies anymore, and my knowledge of movies after the early 2000's is pretty shady at best.

• Akira
    Spriit away
    Brazil
    Alien
    The thing(80)
    Godzilla 1958/ godzilla vs Gamera
    Planets of the ape( the orignial)
    Its an mad mad mad mad mad world

• My favourite film still remains Porco Rosso.

Spoiler:

---

A close second is actually the recent Daniel Craig Bond films because of how stripped back and less-cheesey they are. I'm very much so looking forward to seeing Spectre as soon as possible!

I just think the aesthetic of these recent films are so cool. With how the locations become like a character of the film, Bond's dress sense which I secretly aspire to, and then there was that scene in the first of this quartet where Daniel emerges from the sea with his beautiful six pack. I'd never considered him too attractive previously but that scene totally turned me gay.
    Noobied by 1shozaya

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week