• Marriage
    1. Are you down with marriage?15 votes
        Yay
        53.33%
      1. Nay
        46.67%
    Noobied by 2sloth shozaya
  • All I can tell you is that that once multiple children enter the picture, it is all about labor. There are not enough hours in the day. You just want a good teammate. "You complete me." is a laughable sentence once shit gets real and tiny, seemingly death seeking humans depend on you. If the only other person in the canoe is rowing like mad, you love them. My view of marriage is somewhat myopic at this point. Many many more stages to go. It is hilarious that I get to use the same word as folks who have been together for half a century.
    Noobied by 2sloth tallchick
  • So do you feel it's necessary westsw? If you weren't married would anything be different?
    Noobied by 1sloth
  • If I were not married things would be massively different. Marriage is clearly not mandatory, but affords many advantages in presenting a relationship as legally recognized, especially in regards to children. Child rearing is a crushingly important unpaid gig.
    Noobied by 1sloth
  • Noobied by 1sloth
  • I had a cheap wedding because I married a sane human. The ceremony is literally the least important part. A lot of these complaints seem to be about marrying an asshole. Marriage is a massive committment, second only to children. If you do not want to be responsible for such projects, do not start them. A massive part of being a good father is keeping their mother happy. If you can't figure that out, manhood may not be for you. Conflating your fear with the institutions right to exist is silly. Marriage may or not be for you.
  • I just want to marry pizza.
    Noobied by 2sloth zebure
  • Noobied by 1sloth
  • Lots of people get married who have no business getting married. In the US, divorce is highest in the bible belt because folks get married too early. I absolutely think you should live together first. Making the woman happy is not the only goal, but it is required if you want to make a go of it. As a 17 year old, I thought the getting a woman was hard. But courting pales in comparison to the work required to keep things going. My wife works her ass off with my offspring, what does she not deserve for that? My wife makes me very happy. It just seems like some of the young man posts have been self centered, where manhood entails putting several other people before you in importance.
    Noobied by 2laphamking sloth
  • Noobied by 1sloth
  • It changes taxes, medical decision making, inheretance, and a million other legal things. Like it or not, you live in a state.

My wife has a PhD from Harvard. She is choosing to raise my kids and deserves some reassurance this is not some fly by night operation. You are approaching this as a person who thinks they are risking income without considering all the unpaid labor the other member is contributing.
    Noobied by 1sloth
  • What does she have a PhD in?
    Noobied by 1sloth
  • Psychology, she did vision research. She knows more about the back half of the brain than I do. Ah memories, if there is anything sexier than a NIH grant proposal to shove off a kitchen table before you have sex on it, I do not know what that might be.
    Noobied by 1sloth
  • Well this thread went in a direction I wouldn't have expected!
    Noobied by 2sloth zebure
  • What were you expecting Littleg? You're one of the married NTers, how do you feel about it?

I'm surprised the poll is an even split. It's also interesting to see what makes people tick.
    Noobied by 1sloth
  • Noobied by 1sloth
  • Noobied by 1sloth
  • I think part of this male resentment of marriage is actually part of a larger resentment of loss of male power. Men used to literally own their wives. Even in the 1950s, the husband ruled the home. The world has gotten more fair, as a white guy, I suggest letting go of a model that gave you massive favoritism for no other reason than white guys already had all the power. Momentum is not justice. Women are kicking our butts in education and productivity in the work force. Guys still have advantages, but we are losing ground on merit. If your response is to give the fuck up, well enjoy your mama's basement boy.
    Noobied by 1sloth
  • Noobied by 1sloth
  • Be careful not to get sperm-jacked Epke, child support will financially destroy you as much if not more than a divorce.
    Noobied by 3zebure sloth Juic3
  • Noobied by 1sloth

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week