Favourite "Souls" Game
  • Since I said I'd do a few more of these, and since this forum sometimes doubles as a Souls game fan forum, considering how those are the most popular threads, I figured; I've already asked what the hardest is, what about simply people's favourite? So here you go. Knock your socks off. Favourite Souls family game. Feel free to elaborate why you chose a certain game and not others.
    You died
    1. What is your favourite game in the Souls family?13 votes
        Demon's Souls
        23.08%
      1. Dark Souls
        30.77%
      2. Dark Souls II
        23.08%
      3. Bloodborne
        23.08%
  • At first I thought this was a tough question, but after a bit of reflection I came to the conclusion that my gut response was the correct one: Demon's Souls.

The reasons are:

1. It was a game changer. It has created its own genre now, has spawned clones and influenced many other games, and has been good for the industry.

2. People will no doubt say the world in Dark Souls was bigger, more intricate, and deeper and in some ways that's true, but in other ways not. Demon's Souls had smaller, unconnected maps, but that world was deep as Hell. What was better, and what has NOT been seen since in any Souls game, or any other game that I can think of, is that actions performed in one play through would carry over to the next, via the world and character darkness and light tendencies. This would mean some areas would be open or closed in a subsequent playthru provided you met certain conditions in the previous one. Areas would also become more difficult or easier, and populated with different enemies, depending on these tendencies. Other Souls games upped the enemy count and toughness based on NG+ or NG++ etc, but none of them ever did it based on how you were playing your current playthru. I can't think of any other game that does this, and it was awesome as fuck.

3. Speaking of awesome as fuck, one of the bosses in this game could be controlled by an invading player if conditions were right. Again, I've never seen this before or since Demon's Souls.

4. The bosses and soundtracks for them were all great. There was a lot of variety in the bosses, and each presented their own challenge in a different way.

5. "Sticky white stuff" being an item.

6. The message system which started a whole new style and level of troll goodness, and funny moments.

7. The lore and atmosphere was fantastic. The NPCs were great, had their own stories and motivations, and weren't just generic retards. Yurt.

So yeah, Demon's Souls for me, but it's a bit like asking which of your children you like best.
  • My heart goes to Demon Souls. I think that world was a perfectly contained one to lose yourself in. It had the right amount of mystique and I loved my mute protagonist the most for some reason. It felt like Zelda on the Super Nintendo; it was a complete experience and it was my world to explore. I feel as if I could replay that game again and again.

Despite my heart lurching to Demon Souls, I picked Bloodbourne because I feel that it is the Souls game for me. The added agility, the more accessible world (people are talking to me and telling me wtf is going on!), and that cane that I could strut with was glorious. I felt fabulous wrecking monsters with my cane. I felt as magnificent as a pimp with the feather hat, fluffy coat and cane! Oh and then the small details like the way the werewolves winced and backed away from your fire.

As complete as Demon Souls was, Bloodbourne felt more alive and with more pronounced energy from the faster combat. As a game, Bloodbourne is the favourite. As an experience and world, my favourite is Demon Souls. I think this is also heavily tainted with how Demon Souls was the first and you know, back then it was mind blowing to play with how it just didn't have shits to give.
  • Reading your post, Flibble, I think I've made the wrong choice. Ah well!

That cane and the way you could shift your weapon while strutting like a pimp was everything to me.
  • sloth, my first ever Bloodborne character was a cane cracking head smacking gentleman of the arts too, so I know where you're coming from. ;)
  • DS2, cuz the bonfires were closer together.
  • I've only played a little bit of Dark Souls and played through Bloodborne once so I went with Bloodborne.

I really like the combat of Bloodborne although I'd like to get back into Dark Souls and learn the combat.
  • Demon's souls the game where i didn't blame the game but myself for dying! And running into holes a lot, ask flibble :P
  • COME ON DS2 LOVE.
  • I am shocked, SHOCKED I tell you, that Dark Souls 1 is coming last in this poll.
  • I've yet to finish Dark Souls 2, and don't have a PS4 for Bloodborne, but I'm certain my choice would still be Demon's Souls.

The difference between Demon's Souls and Dark Souls is that I went into Demon's Souls petrified of what the game would do to me. I heard of how difficult it was; how unfair and antiquated some of the design choices were, and I just wasn't ready for the game. I ended up buying it because of how adulated it was by varying members of the forums (particularly Sunflower) and had a long, drawn out play time with the game. Over the course of months I would dip into it and go further and further along, dreading every single inexplicable event that could come my way. Eventually I got into a groove, noticed the positive design elements that relieved many of my stressors, and beat the game (with some help from Flibble). After this I had no fear of Dark Souls and went into that game with great anticipation for whatever was going to come my way.

Overall I've grown to love and appreciate Dark Souls as much as I do Demon's Souls, possibly more so if I'm being completely honest. Still, nothing can ever replace that sense of dread, and no other game has ever given me that much anxiety. Demon's Souls was my first, and while it might not actually be the best (objectively), it opened me up to something new and made me and even better gamer than I was before. 
  • Look at that beautiful three way.
  • Demon's Souls was my 1st foray into the series. I got into the game late after most people had gotten away from it, and I just could not get into it. The atmosphere and soundtrack were great, but I couldn't wrap my head around all the world tendency stuff and put the game down for a long time.

It was the original Dark Souls where I fell in love with the series. I put something crazy like 400 hours into Dark Souls 1 and continued to play the game even after getting all the achievements. It wasn't until I beat Dark Souls that I eventually went back to Demon's Souls and completed it. And while I really enjoyed beating Demon's Souls, Dark Souls 1 will always be my no. 1 love. :) I'm still waiting for that DS1 Remaster on PS4.
  • Dark Souls 2.

Hands down. Maybe because it sort of kicked my arse into going back and finishing the first game after I beat the sequel. Plus, it was a blast for co-op. When I tried playing through the first game, the co-op was all but dead, so.

Revisited it on PC and the co-op was booming. Still love Dark Souls 2 more though. Sorry everyone.
  • DS2 was the friendliest, the most user friendly, in some ways the least Soulsiest. My pic, but I am stunned the most Souliest, DS1, is getting stomped. Folks do not like the jerkiest jerk.
  • FWIW, I haven't voted yet, but I would vote for the aforementioned jerky DS1 as that's the only one I've actually played.  That said, I don't particularly like the look of Demon's Souls (I think it's the hub-world format that puts me off), the things that changed for DS2 seemed like they removed a lot of what made DS1 special to me and I still don't own a PS4 so I'm a long way off playing Bloodbourne, therefore it's likely that DS1 will be the only Souls game that I play for a very, very long time...

Another FWIW, remember that list of 'Games of the generation' that we did a few years ago?  If we were to re-do that now Dark Souls would be near, maybe even at, the top of that list.
  • I think we should do another 'Games of the generation.' I don't know if it'd be in my top 5, but one of the two Souls games I've played would definitely be in the top 10. 
  • Definitely do it. Souls :)
  • Dark Souls 1 would be my very close 2nd, followed by Bloodborne and then DS2. I'm really hopeful that DS3 will become my new #1 though. It looks that good.

Dark Souls 2 was a great game. I'm developing a rage-induced nervous tic here watching people almost apologize for liking it. Own that shit and say it proudly. The people who diss DS2 still played the hell out of it, so it can't have been that bad.

Games of last gen sounds fun. Manio, get to organizing that shit! :p
  • I feel no shame voting for DS2.  I have a love hate relationship with souls and DS2 had the least hate.  DS3 looks like it has the potential set a new standard.  It will really come down to some subtle design choices.
  • I'll put Games of the Gen on my To-Do list, but I think I'll wait until @Manio's Game of the Year stuff is out of the way.  No sense having the two things clash.

EDIT:  Just seen that Noob's Choice is running until Jan 1st - might be a while to wait.  Would people want to do a Game of the Gen sooner?
  • Wow, the 4 games are tied. Smells like justice.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week