• I know there was probably a wrestling thread back in the day, but come on now it's long since dead.

So I was wondering who actively watches wrestling here? What do you watch, and hey lets just shoot the shit about the state of Wrestling nowadays.

As for me I lost interest a long time ago. I used to avidly watch Smackdown and Raw weekly up until I was probably 16. So 10 years have passed and I would occasionally pop back in. Watch the occasional Wrestlemania at a friends or the Royal Rumble (easily my favourite PPV). I would tend to stick my head back in whenever I heard The Rock had made a return. Watch for a week or two and then lose interest again.

But now it seems the world of sports entertainment has hooked me all over again. It's probably down to listening to the power bombcast over on Giantbomb (their infrequent wrestling podcast) and wanting to know what's going on but I'm all in and loving it.

I probably started watching again at last years Rumble (The one Daniel Bryan won) since then I have watched Raw every week and now subscribe to the WWE network at the low low price of 9.99. I watch a little NXT but not too much also.

Recently I also got my girlfriend into it, which is cool. We can sit and watch it together and we have started going back and watching the standout PPVs in recent history (she especially liked the HHH and Brock match from 2013s mania).

So do we have any fans here?
  • The new guys don't interest me at all. I lost all faith in the writers when I heard Brock beat the Undertaker and took his undefeated record from him at Wrestlemania 30. PPVs 2006 or older are the ones worth watching in my opinion. NXT was somewhat interesting with Stone Cold, but then I realized I only liked it for Stone Cold. I'd rather watch American Ninja Warriors nowadays anyway.
  • I have WWE on in the back when i am painting but lots of story lines are uninspiring lately and the wrestling quality has become less IMHO, TNA has suddenly vanished from the Japanese cable channel and i suddenly saw  Samoa Joe and the dudly boys show up on NXT. I want to go to the next New Japan pro wrestling event because A.J Styles is wrestling for them. 
  • John Cena is flavorless nothing. Mick Foley came out with character after character. These used to be artists. Now it is corporate marketing. That Iron Sheik documentary takes you back to a time where these guys were actually allowed to develop their own ideas. Dusty Rhodes is dead. 244 pounds of solid steel. What a giant fat slob. What a performer. CM Punk is kind of a throw back at this point. He is going to be destroyed if he actually starts doing UFC.
  • Yeah Punk doesn't have a prayer. What's interesting to me is that it's not a question of Punk vs someone else's skill - it's Punk's lack of skill vs Dana White's quest to find someone who looks credible but not too credible so Punk can win. He's signed to a multi-fight deal. If Dana's good at picking his first fight, they're gonna rake in the cash. Ideally, Punk beats 2 nobodies then on his third fight, goes against someone credible, makes a huge gate, and loses.

Epke, NJPW was on fire the past few years - you gotta go see them if you can.  Power Struggle is looking decent, here's the card. It will be a waste of AJ Styles in that matchup but I love Yano and he can do no wrong, that fucker.

JPW, "POWER STRUGGLE", 2015/11/07
    Osaka Prefectural Gymnasium

. IWGP Intercontinental Title: Shinsuke Nakamura (c) vs Karl Anderson
    Hiroshi Tanahashi & Kota Ibushi vs Kazuchika Okada & Kazushi Sakuraba
    . NEVER Openweight Title: Tomohiro Ishii (c) vs Tomoaki Honma
    Toru Yano & YOSHI-HASHI vs AJ Styles & Bad Luck Fale
    Hirooki Goto vs EVIL
    Super Jr. Tag Tounrnament - FINAL
  • How does one view NJPW in an affordable and convenient way, or is this all PPV? Old matches? This is all new to me.
  • njpwworld.com is around $8 a month and has a bunch of their content available for streaming.

A buddy of mine wrote up a sign-up help page. Here's the general, translated write-up for what they offer (they also have English pages) - the summary was written in 2014, all 2015 content is there as well

• over 1,000 matches from 1973 ~ 2014
    • all major PPVs from 2012 ~ 2014
    • every Tokyo Dome show from 1992 ~ 2014
    • numerous events broadcast live each month
    • ¥999 a month, cancel any time with no commitment
    NJPW World is the newly launched online streaming service from New Japan Pro-Wrestling, the no.1 professional wrestling company in Japan. For ¥999 a month (£5.39, €6.74, $8.40) you get access to archive content spanning NJPW's 40 year-plus history, with over 1,000 matches currently available. NJPW World also has the complete set of 'New Japan Burning Spirit' & 'World Wrestling Returns', which are made for TV compilation episodes that highlight some of the best matches from New Japan's past and present, respectively. Also included in the subscription price each month are a number of events streamed live worldwide, including the upcoming WrestleKingdom 9 megashow from the Tokyo Dome on January 4th!

Amongst the 1,000 strong line-up of matches from 1973-2014 available on NJPW World are some of the all-time classics of professional wrestling, featuring the likes of Keiji Mutoh, Shinya Hashimoto, Hulk Hogan, Tatsumi Fujinami, Stan Hansen, Ric Flair, Antonio Inoki, Andre the Giant, Bruiser Brody, Masahiro Chono, Jushin 'Thunder' Liger and many more. Currently featured on NJPW World is the complete series of January 4th Tokyo Dome shows from 1992-2014;

Lastly, I've made a quick guide to the sign-up process, which is fairly uncomplicated;

This pop-up should appear when you first load the page. Tick the box and click the button to proceed.

Fill in the registration form, confirm that the test videos work, tick the box and click the button (which is just cut off from the bottom of the above screenshot).

The next page will just simply ask you to confirm the details you've entered so far, once done proceed to payment details;

Click to confirm once again and that's it.

There's also a great Google doc with the best stuff on their site as well, it has some seriously great recommendations. I love 90s strong style wars.

Enjoy! No, there are no working apps right now for your consoles - not in North Am, at least.
    Noobied by 1Epke
  • Thank you for the overwhelming amount of information.
  • It's nice when people show an interest in an alternative to WWE (which I actually have no complaints about right now) - NJPW was absolutely on fire from 2012-2014, and is still really good. I can't recommend it enough.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week