The End
  • Or so it seems. With Konami out of AAA games development, and Kojima out of a home, it appears that, for all intents and purposes, the Metal Gear franchise has seen its last hurrah. For over two decades, we've been sneaking, tranquilizing, and cardboard boxing our way through games that were at times somewhat politically prescient, and at other times, cringe inducing and full of poop jokes. But while the story could be an adventure, to put it nicely, the games themselves, rather consistently, were always fun to play, providing intense, stealth-based gameplay that frequently created white knuckle moments. Perhaps most bravely, the series has always stuck to its own morality; killing - even in a game of nuclear weapons, giant mecha, and possible world wars - is seen as the worst option, forever damaging your in-game score. Creatively finagling your way past enemies and cameras, and darting in and out before anyone notices your presence is still, with the exception of Tom Clancy games, not the norm in a world full of video games of gung-ho machismo not unlike Hollywood.

So, with all that said, I open the floor to you. What have been some of your favourite moments in this series? What has been your favourite game? What has the series meant to you over the years? Because beneath all the endless narrative posturing, inane dialogue, and toilet humour, this series had a beating heart of its own, and Kojima, in his own twisted way, never shied away from telling the story he wanted to tell. That it was far from perfect, in a game universe of nearly perfect soldiers, is perhaps one final last irony. See you on the other side, Snake.
    Metal Gear
    1. What is your favourite Metal Gear game?10 votes
        Metal Gear
          0.00%
      1. Metal Gear 2
          0.00%
      2. Metal Gear Solid
        20.00%
      3. Metal Gear Solid 2
          0.00%
      4. Metal Gear Solid 3
        20.00%
      5. Metal Gear Solid 4
          0.00%
      6. Metal Gear Solid 5
        20.00%
      7. Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops
          0.00%
      8. Metal Gear Solid: Peacewalker
          0.00%
      9. Metal Gear Acid
        20.00%
      10. Metal Gear Rising
        10.00%
      11. Other
        10.00%
  • you may think you're clever with your voting, but i'll have you know i have over 100 bags of doritos and i am laughing at you
  • I liked the first one on Playstation before it became the egostroking franchise.
    And don't worry Konami will make lots of Metal Gear puzzle games and pacinko for all us fans :P
  • They've already trade marked a "Big Boss" pachinko machine.
    Edit: Fuck Konami.

• Same as Epke. The old ones were OK, before all blood in Kojima's body had rushed to his raging hard-on for himself, causing brain damage.
  • I've only ever played Ground Zeroes and the demo for that weird hack-and-slash one. Rising I think?
  • Metal Gear Rising is FUCKING AMAZINGLY Fun! I love that game. :) Parries ALL Night Long! :)
  • Tough choice between Metal Gear Solid, Metal Gear Solid 2 and Metal Gear Solid 3 for me. 

Metal Gear Solid was a massive surprise for me when it came out as I hadn't seen a game like that before. I thought it was the start of some movie style games.

Metal Gear Solid 2 just had so many twists.

I think Metal Gear Solid 3 was a step up on previous MGS games in terms of quality.

Overall I guess I'd have to go with Metal Gear Solid.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week