Anybody willing to help me in making a website?
  • Hello!

I am not a programmer and the little code I know is shameful 
    I would love to have somebody help me in making a website. If you are decent and can show me some work I would like to talk to you. I would also not be expecting anything for free so no worries on that end. 

It would be a video game website of coarse, where I would post my video game reviews and videos as well as blogs and stuff. 

Noobied by 1sloth
  • I don't know much because I felt overwhelmed when I tried.
     But when I got a domain name a started looking at lots of tutorials and stuff. CodeCademy seemed like a good place to check if you're looking to learn stuff.
  • Why don't you try making your own at www.wordpress.com or www.squarespace.com for a bit? Your video game content can be posts carefully filed into categories like reviews, videos, blogs and stuff.

Keeping it simple and focussing on the content is key and it doesn't really matter if it looks super professional or not as you'll get there through consistency and a bulk volume of work.
    Noobied by 1GameByNightReviews
  • This thread kind of makes me want to try using my domain again.
    @Sloth Would you say wordpress.com or squarespace.com are good places to practice? Or do you think there's another way to build and look at your page making skills without having to use a host? I was paying for hosting but stopped because I didn't want to pay for a site I was just learning how to make. After I canceled the hosting I kind of quit reading up on all of it..
    Noobied by 1sloth
  • Neither are good places to practice in terms of coding because you get 90% of the way there without much coding at all (you're leveraging existing templates and plugins). The final bits that push your site into "I'm happy with this" territory you would just google the solutions or existing code to and then implement accordingly.

I suggested these two because they're good at getting you into the workflow of producing the content of your website. I find that people worry too much about presentation and get stuck on this aspect rather than ploughing ahead with content.

Success comes from achieving a bulk volume of work over time.

If you would like to hone web development skills, a local server like MAMP is ideal because it lets you be very agile in your local environment; so long as you backup. But otherwise, a $5 per month hosting package from somewhere with a $10 per year domain is worth it because it allows you a third-party space to upload and share that is independent to your PC where things get lost and cleaned out. I've got NooBTooB currently on MediaTemple and its a solid web host but they're lagging behind the curve with new SSD-based suppliers outstripping them.

There's no real right way of learning code but what I suggest is you start a blog/personal site that you commit to where you can upload directories of the micro-experimental sites that you produce and accumulate over time. These micro-sites should be goal-oriented because if its code-oriented, you'll get bored and it's sort of like skating to where the puck was rather than will be. Code is constantly updated and evolving so achieving and building things is more important than the analogous perfect penmanship for instance. Making things that are fun or matter to you will keep you at it much longer leading you to eventual success.
  • Agree with sloth completely. I know guys who can't program at all yet they have managed to put together nice looking blogs/sites using wordpress or squarespace. As Shia Leboof and Nike say, "JUST DO IT".
  • 2 week trial at Squarespace, see how you take to it.
  • Yeah, definitely go take a gander on Squarespace. All I hear is praise from it.
  • Thanks all, I will give it a go and if it works out Ill give a update! 

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week