The Witcher: Wild Hunt (PC/XB1/PS4)
  • This game is so beautiful it makes me want to cry. It's by far the prettiest game I've ever played.

Gameplay is great, I'm a little bit worried by how they've changed the alchemy system though, I'm pretty sure it used to be that ingredients fell into different categories and you just needed enough of an item from each category to make a potion. Now it's like theres a thousand different ingredients and you need specific ones for each potion. Makes the process so much more tedious because now every time I see the little leaf icon anywhere I have to pick it up just in case it goes to making something important.
  • @epke and Dr Flibble I'd imagine if you really wanted it you could buy some codes and buy the American/EU version from their respective stores right? No idea if that's a good notion conversion wise though, and you can't trade it in if you don't like it.

Can't wait for my copy to arrive. Ta' l-ittri ahjar jigi ghada! ('The postman better arrive tomorrow!' in my native language)
  • @Orion. And at the same time you need to make potions only once, and then only need alcohol to renew it. I am not sure how I feel about it. I'd definitely prefer if they would go the the alchemy system that they had in the first game.
  • Because alcohol solves everything. Apparently.
  • I already thought of that Firly, but to do that would require buying a $50 and $20 PSN card, then with the exchange rate and the retailer's cut being considered, the final price of doing it that way is over $100. Granted I'd have $10 PSN store money left over but still, in that case I may as well just pay the $90 for a physical copy. I'll wait for that price drop.

Also, here are some links for people who like me, never finished the previous 2 games (when you have a spare 8 hours).

Oh, and Firly, Slán go fóill! :p One of the few phrases I remember from my days studying Celtic languages.
  • The game crashed on me last night trying to play some guy at Gwent and boom ps4 home screen.
  • Yo i am Old Skool i dem gamez phizikal  man ;)

I'll just wait until the import one comes down in price.
  • @nutta27

Your not the first person I've heard that from. Think it's a bug. One thing I will say, I've noticed quite a few graphical bugs, the most common being the sound freezing and the image keeps going, then pauses and waits for the sound to catch up.
  • There's this whole 'downgrade' conversation going on and while I don't think the game has been downgraded in any major way, CD Projekt Red are still addressing the issue. I love these devs. http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-05-19-cd-projekt-red-tackles-the-witcher-3-graphics-downgrade-issue-head-on

There is also already a patch out for PC, which will soon be heading to console. http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-05-21-witcher-3s-latest-patch-tidies-up-nvidia-hairworks-performance

Here are the patch notes, as published on TheWitcher.com.

Improves stability in gameplay and the UI

Improves performance especially in cutscenes and gameplay

Fixes grass and foliage popping that could occur after density parameters were changed

Improves Nvidia Hairworks performance

Boosted texture anisotropy sampling to 16x on Ultra preset

Sharpen Post-process settings extended from Off/On to Off/Low/High

Blood particles will now properly appear after killing enemies on the water

Corrects a bug where player was able to shoot bolts at friendly NPCs

Improves menu handling

Corrects an issue with Stamina regeneration while sprinting

Fixes a cursor lock issue that sometimes occurred when scrolling the map

Generally improves world map focus

Improves input responsiveness when using keyboard

Corrects some missing translations in the UI

Corrects an issue in dialogue selections

Rostan Muggs is back

Minor SFX improvements
  • Am I right in thinking pretty much all of you are playing on ps4?
  • I will be, hopefully by Monday. Stupid postman. I'd say most of us are, but maybe @Jerom is playing it on PC?
  • I played for a good 12 hours yesterday and did a single main quest. 1. If anyone knows and you should it's like the third actual quest. It was the one with the blonde witch with the boobs.

Everything else was sidequests. Hunting the ?'s on the map and Gwent. I am all on on Gwent. I wish I could bet more than 10 coins though. I wanna go all out. Smash my whole pot in.
  • Yep, PC all the way. In the 30ish or so hours of playtime i I've had multiple freezes (about 3 or 4) and 2 hard crashes. I was pleasantly surprised that I've managed to push most of the settings to ultra. Even after all of the invested time (more than majority of single player campaigns in other games) I feel that I barely scratched the surface. I'd rate it as about 17% complete as I did a lot of side questing and gwent playing before even touching main story. I also never used fast travel, horseback all the way and walk around (not run) when in settlements.

I am very pleased with the game in general in spite of the several issues that I found with it. 1) Controls on PCs are abysmal. I am so close to saying "screw it" and play with controller (only done it from Dark Souls). Who the hell thought that using arrows keys in and page up and page down buttons in menu screens is good idea, have they not actually tried using keyboard to play?! 2) Tutorials are bad and lacking necessary information. Just like in previous games there is so much information that you need to know and they don't bother explaining or explain so poorly that it doesn't even register. For example possibly spoiler  when fighting moon/noonwraith and the likes you deal only 10% of weapon damage unless you fight inside Yarden Sign (if they ever mention it somewhere I have no recollection of ever reading or hearing it and had to find out about it the hard way) (as a side not it might might have something to do with them being higher level than you, not sure about it as I never went to the wiki to avoid spoilers) 3) Somewhat similar to the previous point, not enough information. No visible way to tell if what you are going to do is stealing and will annoy soldiers. Looting some crates pisses them off, while other are fine. When shopping no way to tell if you already have that recipe or not (maybe the system is smart enough and hides already known recipes in vendor screen, again no way for me to know)
  • @Nutta27 there is high stakes gwent tournament with 1000 buy in price, I won't tell more as it would contain spoilers and I have no idea how to make spoiler tags these days.
  • I am in love with this game.

It arrived this morning and didn't stop playing until 3 and a half hours later. Game is gorgeous. Combat is very enjoyable. Exploring feels great. Just talked to Vesemir about setting up the trap for the griffin and will be doing so when I get back to the game. @Jerom There was information overload at the start of the game, but I feel like they emphasized using the bestiary a fair bit. After your first encounter with the noonwraith, details of her are added to the bestiary which explained that Yrden is effective on her. Tutorials could use some work though, for sure. They dumped so much on you at the start that this can be easy to miss. When I was about to loot some stuff with guards around, I got a big ass prompt saying something along the lines of: "There are guards, this could end badly!" So I was warned about it, but it didn't seem to come up for you. Playing the PS4 version, the game feels great on controller.

I can't stop thinking about the game though. The urge to just keep on playing is the best sign a game could give me about its quality! I've not touched Gwent outside of the tutorial of it, which unfortunately crashed for me. I press Triangle to pass the round and it booted me straight to the PS4 menu. Tested it again and the same thing happened. Something buggy with the Triangle button there. It seems like it's ok in normal matches going from @nutta27 's post about Gwent!

Also, look at all this stuff it came with!

An actual manual, a small compendium, soundtrack (31 songs!), a map, stickers, a thank you letter and a slipcase to hold it all in. No special edition here, just the standard edition which I pre-ordered. I love these guys.
  • @Firlocke I'll look into bestiary some more, but I sure as heck did a tutorial without skipping anything and didn't get much from it.

Also for the "There are guards, this could end badly! " line , maybe I am too used to Bethesda "He is just looking, so it's fine" mentality. I am pretty sure, if you just open 2-3 containers without taking anything they will attack you.
  • Was playing last night while on chat with some friends, made a bad decision while I wasn't concentrating, suddenly it spirals out of control into just awful thing after awful thing happening. So annoyed that I'm actually going back to an old save to redo it, even though its about 2 hours back. 
  • This looks like the baby of Skyrim and Leisure Suit Larry
  • Showing off their localization in the most beautiful way:

1. English

2. German

3. Japanese

4. Polish

5. French

6. Portuguese

7. Russian
  • So how are people levelling their Geralt? I have put most points in quick attack, the sign that gives me a shield and the sight that gives me mind control. I have also picked up the extra 500 points of vitality.

I'm level 12 at the minute just wandering around Novagrad.
  • I've put points into vitality, quick attack, igni and axii. It's not bad, I wish I could go back on some of my skills, maybe improve quen. The sun and stars skill appears to do nothing.
  • I'm only lvl 4, I've got the 500 extra health, Igni boost, faster health regen outside of combat and a mutagen to boost igni even more.

Side quests really don't give a lot of exp in comparison to the main quest, but main quest stuff can get pretty difficult when there's a lot of enemies that are higher level than you. I'm also finding myself to be piss poor and spending most of my dosh on repairing, whilst finding armour and food by exploring. #TheStruggleIsReal
  • Money is easily solvable. Buy seashells (cost around 10), dismantle them (costs 1), then you get pearls (worth about 150), then sell the pearls. Rinse repeat. I've started carrying around pearls with me so if I'm buying anything I can sell a load of pearls and get my money back.

I started pushing my skill points into quen now, and that is awesome. Got the active shield which absorbs blows to increase vitality. One more point and it won't use my stamina up so I can use it practically infinitely.
  • Ah, excellent tips. Thank you, I'll keep that in mind. :)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week