Episode #020 - 11/20/2006
  • Holy crap! Episode #20 has hit the wires and we go on and on about the Wii.
    We're limiting ourselves to only talking about three launch titles so we have something to talk about next week, but don't fret cause we ended up getting our hands on most of the decent launch titles. Zelda's our featured game so let us know if you think we're totally off base on our review.

Culture topic goes on about our 10 hour Wii line up experience, and how amazingly smooth it was compared to the craziness of the PS3 launch.

Anyone else get any of the launch consoles? What'd you think about the games?
  • ROFL, "wiiiiiii".

You can script for amazon? o_O
  • So far I havent gotten any launch consoles of the next-gen kind .
    I have stepped off the idea of getting an early PS3 (as written in other topic) , I already have a 360 but I didnt get that untill Chrome Hounds was released (1+ year after launch) followed by a string of awesome 360 games such as Dead Rising , Saints Row and etc.

I have set my sights on a Wii now too , I wont bother importing one even if that can be easily done .
    I`ll just wait for the European launch wich is in 2 weeks .. giving me enough time to play more Gears of War .. finish Saints Row and Dead rising before I commit myself to Zelda : Twilight princess wich main quest is said to be 70 hours in length .
    The sidequests total to 20 hours giving you a whopping 90 hours of estimated gameplay .

Now the funny thing about launch consoles in Europe is as follows.
    There are no people camping out in stores .. there are no people waiting in hour long lines ... there is no at night store coupon things cause we dont have a 24/7 economy .
    Subsequentially there will be no killing , maming , mobbing, rioting over any hyped wannahave consoles such as the PS3 either :)

I just tought back about every console I purchased and that goes back to the Atari 2600 ... there have been no launch line up issues ever here .
    Why ?
    Well I can speculate on that .. historicly speaking Europe always gets stuff last , and seeing as every console has have its launch issues be it hardware , software or weak launch game line-up has led the Dutch people a bit cautious .
    Whilst there is a big general annoyance over the fact that we are always last whilst they make the biggest profit on games and hardware in our region (The math was done on this somewhere but I dont feel like looking it up .. its 6 AM)
    But on the other hand , at least we got the PS2`s that didnt have the launch hardware issues as seen with Japanese or American units at the time.
    Our PSP`s didnt have squeeky buttons and casings and no widespread broken pixel issues .. it goes on.

That is the true advantage behind a delayed launch , the bugs get worked out of the units .
    Now since this has been going on for years on end , we Dutch people are simply used to waiting longer for our stuff to come out.
    And when launch day actually does come out , people have the

"meh I dont feel like rushing from work beating traffic to get the PS3 .. I waited half a year already a day isnt going to kill me "

Hence you wont ever see any lines in Holland.
    Sure , there are chances that some store might be sold out .
    But go to any one of the three mayor online dutch communities being Gathering of tweakers , Geenstijl ( it means no style ) or FoK! and there will be specific threads where people post information on wich stores have wich kind of inventory or specials , so if you havent ordered a unit to be sent home you can always get your hands on one relativly easy enough.

It does take away that 'extra' magic after you waited 10 hours in a line , surviving on take-out food and portable gaming untill you finally. . finally get that unit , but yeah I geuse thats the way it is for us over here :)
  • Djeez .. why cant I ever write short messages ?
    Funnily enough it didnt take me more then 5 minutes to write that up .
  • gwenster said:
    historicly speaking Europe always gets stuff last , and seeing as every console has have its launch issues be it hardware , software or weak launch game line-up has led the Dutch people a bit cautious .

Lies!
  • Australia -> England -> Europe :roll:

Welcome to the logic of Gwensters mind ! :twisted:
  • gwenster said:
    Australia -> England -> Europe :roll:

Welcome to the logic of Gwensters mind ! :twisted:

So where's Canada fit into that logic? Same as NA in general?

Oh btw, speaking of the Dutch, on the way home from Thanksgiving I had the pleasure of stopping by Solvang, CA (http://www.solvangusa.com) , which is considered to be the Danish capitol of America. They had windmills, wooden shoes, a little mermaid statue, and a bunch of bakeries with strudels. I had this awesome dessert called Aebleskiver which is like pancake balls with raspberry jam and powdered sugar (tasty!).

The best part was passing an internet cafe where they had instructions on how to play WoW in English and Dutch.

And I don't think any of their stores got any PS3's or Wii's either :(.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week