• Ash vs The Evil Dead

Only one episode, but unholy necronomicon is it good. It is Bruce and Sam, so it is true to the source material. The gore level is way past what I thought TV would do, but the times they are a changin'. I hope they can keep the quality up. If you have not seen Army of Darkness, go do that. It still is my pick for greatest B movie of all time.
  • Just finished episode 5 of Marvel's new show "AKA Jessica Jones." It honestly has very little in common with the source material; definitely more of an interpretation than actual adaptation. There are a lot of characters in this series that are clear analogs to comic book counterparts; with the police officer and Trish being the most obvious. So far it's very good; not Daredevil or Nolan Batman good, but pretty damn close. 
  • That first episode sure set the stage. Amazing what good writing will do for a D list villain. Least Marvely thing from Marvel, hints of a horror vibe every now and again.
  • Jessica Jones was described by AV Club as a "hardboiled neo noir feminist" work (well, those 4 words, maybe a different order) which means I am dutybound to try it out.
  • It's definitely feminist in regards to its assault on male privilege, and that's not a bad thing. The power dynamic is obvious, and Killgrave is the epitome of patriarchy/male entitlement. Every negative connotation associated with those ideas, he embodies. He's so very creepy.

As I mentioned before, it's not even remotely like the source material, but it's fixing a lot of the problems that are in the comics. The relationship between Luke and Jessica is actually believable, where it felt forced in the comics. The eternal superhero question of identity is dealt with much more sophistication here than it was in the comics. Everyone is having an identity crisis, and for good reason.

I've got 5 episodes to go and I'm becoming more and more impressed as the show progresses. Nolan changed the game. The guys who made Daredevil expounded upon it. Now Jessica Jones is maintaining it. This is the best of the Superhero genre. 
  • It has definitely changed from when little Sam Raimi and Toby Maguire burst onto the scene. X-Men was first, but Spiderman and its first sequel opened the flood gates. A decade later and every other media creation it seems is Marvel. It is too bad those movies have been quickly lost to time. Without them, Marvel probably doesn't care about re-acquiring Iron Man, Captain America is much less lone worthy, and this whole empire never gets going. 
  • Anyways, I finished episode one of Jones. It is a pretty good first episode. It is probably not going to be something I finish. TV takes commitment I rarely have patience for. I don't know why I still have patience for MMO and open world games but not TV. Maybe I am just jaded. There were shows I used to occasionally watch. There were some mid aughts shows I watched and liked but they all eventually cratered, back when I was more open to TV. I will refrain from naming them out of shame. Many anime I have watched were much the same. It is super hard to sustain a story and character arcs for 20, 50, 100 hours of content. Even good writers struggle the same way with long book series. Wheel of Time goes from fun pop fantasy to literally making Star Wars prequels look like impeccable masterpieces. I am rambling again.
  • I think Killgrave became sociopathic because of his power. If literally everyone does what you say, how long until you just think of them as cattle and get very very bored with humans? How hard would it be to have an honest conversation, when your words are power? You lose your fellow man as a sounding board for your thoughts and spiral off into a lonely narcissistic world. Goodenough, it's 13 episodes. But you should watch Daredevil, it's Omazin.

I think X-men is more important to the genre than Spider man. X-men showed you could do a team film with lots of characters. No X-men, no Avengers. Before X-men, half or all the movie was origin. X-men said let's just start with the good stuff. The last X-men movie had characters they barely named. You don't know Bishop? Go read some comics asshole.
  • David Tennant is PERFECT as Killgrave, and I'm enjoying this eons more than Daredevil. Good stuff all around.
  • Two episodes to go. 

I'm so pissed I didn't realize who Simpson was until a few episodes ago. Its been so long since I've read Born Again, I forgot his name.

Themes of power, corruption, identity, apathy, and altruism. It's like I'm watching Batman Begins all over again. Some superhero tropes never die. We love them because they remind us we can always be more, be better; make the world better. 
  • I just finished Jessica Jones last night. Such a thrill ride.
  • Finished Jessica Jones. I need a shower. 
  • @laphamking

Let's not dive into spoilers for everyone else, but how did you feel about David Tennant as Killgrave? Sitting here at the end of it all, he's the standout part of the entire show for me. Aside from some of those amazing supporting characters, and even Kristen Ritter as the titular character.

I'll be honest. I wasn't expecting much from her in the role, and I'll happily eat my words. She was great.
  • I was impressed. He actually managed to be creepier than his comic book counter-part, which I didn't think was possible. Everyone else did great in their roles, with Ritter perfectly embodying Jessica Jones. I loved her in Breaking Bad, and now I'm so happy she was given an opportunity to prove how good she can actually be. 
  • I powered through a whopping two more episodes last night. Three episodes in three days, go me! It's pretty good. The sex scenes are hilaribad. I wish the noir trappings were more prominent, other than music and Jessica being a PI, the visuals and dialogue aren't really at all noir. It is weird when you remember all of these are connected and the alien attack they drop was Avengers. I am not at all up to speed on Marvel. Luckily this is rather standalone. The acting is good. There are weird ancillary moments that feel unnecessary. It's a good show. I wouldn't say I love it.
  • Finished Jessica Jones. It had so many interesting ideas at the beginning that I could not help but feel that it left some stuff on the table. Excellent overall, probably the only real reason I like Daredevil more is that I was reading Daredevil at age twelve, and this compelling broken bitch is all new to me.
  • Watched a couple of episodes of Into the Badlands. Writing is deeply unspecial. The fight choreography is excellent, especially for TV. Matrix really raised the bar on what folks expect. You can check it out and see if the sword fights bring you back.
  • Bojack Horseman is excellent. Extremely funny. Vincent Adultman is my hero and I want to be him when I grow up.
  • I couldn't get into Bojack. :(

I also gave up on Jessica Jones awhile back at a specifically grossly over acted scene in like episode 4 or 5 or something. I dunno. Wasn't really feeling it anymore.

• I love the mixture of cynicism and absurdism. Bojack goes from emotional grit to wacky animal joke in a heartbeat. The counterpoint is pleasurable.
  • Doctor Who Christmas Special this year was a nice change of tone/pace from last year's, and this whole past season. The jolly, comedic tone was nice considering the finale for this past series.

I eagerly await the return of The Flash in January as it's essentially one of the best shows on television.
  • I caved and started watching a couple new shows, one which I plan to stick with and one I don't.

I started Game of Thrones. It is pretty good at first blush. There are fight scenes that make absolutely no sense and are just thrown in to have action. The sex scenes are really bad. It is an interesting world. It is about to have it's sixth season which is just too long. I'm not sure I could stick with a show/world anyways that is this overwhelmingly dark and violent. I think I will probably not continue. I never read the books.

Dark Matter is the second show I started. Almost nobody appears to like this show. It has bad reviews, not very good non-critic scores, and it's a SyFy network show which is... not exactly a compliment. But I really like it! It's a relatively tried-and-tested formula but it has enough twists and the cast is just so good. It's diverse, respectable of women, funny, and it's real sci-fi. Ships, space stations, mega corporations, yay! Really, it's propelled by a varied and interesting cast and their pursuit of who they are and why they are who they are, but the show does a good job layering new elements and plot points on that push the narrative forward and keep things tense. And the dialogue is snappy. There are a few well-worn tropes and the romance is a bit so-so but it's an exciting crew and world. I am 8 episodes in and plan on sticking with it.
  • If Game of Thrones does not draw you in, then you either do not like fantasy or you do not like drama. That show may only be behind The Wire, all time, for me.
  • It wasn't so much that it didn't draw me in so much as it's a lot to watch. Coming on 6 seasons of one hour episodes. If I have to commit that much time to something, I'd just as soon read the books in all honesty.
  • You are clearly the offspring of a soviet sleeper cell, and do not "get" our culture, yet. Nevertheless, I welcome you, comrade, and hope you will one day understand your adopted homeland. May the winters be cold enough for your mama.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week