Another 3DS Model?!
  • Nintendo are planning to release another 3DS model (on top of the 3DS, 3DS XL and 2DS). This has a very much similar feel as to the DSi being released midway through the console's cycle (i am guessing) with an updated processor etc.

The thing that i find the most interesting is that this model is supposedly going to have a second analogue stick and two more shoulder buttons. This means that from an input perspective the new 3DS is going to have a much more home console feel to it which is something that i find more appealing. Also i believe they are going to improve how the glasses-less 3D works which can only be a good thing. 

I can see this causing all sorts of confusion and problems in terms of which games are compatible with all 3DS/2DS models or just the new 3DS. But overall i think this is a positive step, i am not convinced on how it is all going to fit in around the other models. Perhaps just go the whole hog and release a brand new platform if they are making this many changes? But i am sure it is too soon into the lifespan to justify doing that.

But if this means better framerates in existing 3DS games such as when 3D is turned on ( I am thinking about you Pokemon ) I would snap one up instantly. Or for example in a lot of games when 3D mode is switched on the anti-aliasing is switched off; if this was no longer the case, i think i would be sold. 

So any speculative thoughts NoobToobers?

• Not my thing. The second stick is smaller than most buttons, pain ahoy. The short generation cycle seems nakedly exploitative. It will sell a cajillion, further bury Vita, and give Nintendo time to think about it's next console.
  • @westw That second analogue stick looks much too small to be comfortable.
  • The new 3DS XL sounds interesting. Might have to take a look at my finances to see if I can afford that when it comes out ;)
  • Hopefully this will be a large upgrade in terms of graphics and multitasking.  With Nintendo finally expanding into the online market with DLC and more multiplayer I can't wait to get my hands on it. 

I do have to agree with 8drawt on the compatibility confusion.  How will that work?  Or will the cartridges be a different size for the newer model?  I remember they had to cartridge slots on the old DS's, not sure about the newer ones though. 
  • Just to clarify, this upgrade is a bit like DS going to DSi, except to a larger degree. The 3DS carts will still be the same size, and it will still be backwards compatible with good old DS games. The CPU upgrade isn't going to be a massive jump. The Xenoblade Chronicles port looks very much like a 3DS game still, and as a result looks worse than the Wii version. It's too soon for a proper 3DS successor.

The c-stick is by far the biggest difference. Smash Bros players in particular will have a natural advantage playing on the New 3DS, and Monster Hunter will probably be easier to control. I love those coloured buttons too!

I don't see this as an essential upgrade, but it's definitely a nice upgrade. I hope there aren't many exclusive games for the new 3DS models though, I'm quite happy with my XL.

Noobied by 28drawt shozaya

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week