Hideo Kojima And Guillermo del Toro Team Up For New Silent Hill

Yeah, this is actually happening. And
    Walking Dead TV show actor Norman Reedus is the star. It was revealed in the form of an interactive teaser on the PlayStation store.

The video shows a man who turns out to be actor Norman Reedus on a
    darkened street before revealing the the names of Kojima and del Toro.
    He looks at the camera, and then the Silent Hill logo appears.
    ---
    Pulled from Kotaku. Let's just talk about this for a minute.

Noobied by 1sloth
  • Guess Silent Hill is about to get the "movie that occasionally lets you press a button" treatment.

Well, they can't really fuck up Silent Hill any more than it already has been, so what the hell, why not?
  • Guillermo del Toro has got an eye for arresting, freaky visuals so I can see that side of things working pretty well in the Silent Hill universe, at least.  Anything's got to be better than just trotting out 'sexy zombie nurses because sexy zombie nurses are creepy' like they have been doing since SH2, neatly missing the point of what said zombie nurses were supposed to represent.
  • I'm interested. Loved how it revealed as that p.t game first, but then turned into Silent Hills. That's quite Kojima.

Reminds me that I have Silent Hill 1 on my PS3, but I've not played it yet.
  • The teaser for the uninitiated.

• Wow they are even using the character likeness too. Also hasn't Kojima been wanting to make something other than mgs for a while.

I haven't played a a silent hill game so have no reverence for the series and I have lost interest in metal gear.since 2 but it's safe to say I'm interested.
  • @nutta27

Silent Hill is my favorite horror series. Give it a go!
  • Whyyyyyyyyyyyy PS4 only. Why. Please come to PC or something. :(

Also, Silent Hill 2 is one of the best horror games ever.

• @GoodEnoughForMe

Has it been confirmed as PS4 only? If so that's mega lame.
  • The hd collection is fucked right?
  • @nutta27

Personally, I haven't encountered any issues with it. It's how I've been playing 2 & 3 lately.
  • @Manio So far, everything I've read says PS4 exclusive, but obviously take that term with a grain of salt for now.
  • Silent Hill belongs on PS4 anyway. The systems need more exclusives. If everything is going to be available on every platform there's no point even having multiple platforms. For fuck's sake, can we at least graduate from Business 101 on this frigging forum?

The HD remakes might be OK if you never played the games in their original form, but if you did you will notice the suck factor pretty quickly. They made a horrible mess of just about everything.

Watch this guy's review of the HD collection. He rips it to pieces, but he's right. The original PS2 versions look better than the HD remakes.

• IGN put up this preview. Is the game going to be in the first person? If so, that kind of sucks. And what's the point of getting Norman Walking Dead into it if you won't be able to see the guy outside of cutscenes?

• I feel like there is a resurgence of horror happening. Silent Hills, Evil Within, Resident Evil REmake REmake and even a Fatal Frame (although Japan only at the moment.)

It would be weird to have Silent Hills in first-person. I mean, yeah games like Amnesia, Outlast and Slender popularised first person horror, but I don't think first person is necessary or better for for horror.
  • The teaser was in first person buts that's so you didn't see the dudes face (same reason the fucked the mirror up in the bathroom) I totally expect this game to the 3rd person.
  • OK, but why would you go and make a big thing out of the dude being part of the game and then hide him in the gameplay? It's not like it's a spoiler or anything...unless the player character is not Norm Of The Dead?
  • I was interested until i saw that is from kojima, i am not interested in 15 minute gameplay and 45 minutes cutscenes
  • Well it's running on the Fox engine, which is a good sign for a multiplat release. Nobody has used the term PS4 exlcusive yet, in reading the reveal, so there's that. "Business 101" would suggest that the devs would want the game to release on as many platforms as possible. ;P
  • Who gives a fuck what the devs want? Do you even live in reality? :p
  • Well, I guess I should have said publishers, but I would be surprised if this was a legit exclusive considering we have a Fox engine game also coming to PC now. But who knows. They're just becoming really rare.
  • They're becoming rare because nobody wants to gamble on a potential bomb, which is interesting because it means the console makers are bringing about their own destruction by not doing that.
  • On the point about mirrors, if you're lucid dreaming, you're supposed to never look into mirrors for the horror that you will see. It would be nice if you spent the entire game amongst broken mirrors until the last stage where you can finally look in.

On Silent Hill(s), I clicked play to watch the video but chickened out ten seconds in. I scrolled quickly over the second video because it looks terrifying. Nope nope nope.
  • Haha, watching people play this is pretty fun!

http://youtu.be/ckJAIlwkU9E

He doesn't finish the whole thing, but it's fun watch for the most part.

This is so genius. Well done Kojima and Del Toro! Silent Hills is now firmly on everyone's mind and lips.
  • I just hope Del Toro is in charge of the art direction. Could be fun.
  • The Grate Debate: The Solution to P.T.'s Final Pu…: http://youtu.be/nUTTCfZe8Yc

Spoilers! So many cryptic things to figure out, but it's all so interesting! And yet there's still more to figure out!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week