Gaming and fitness
  • This week I've moved my squat routine up to 200 pounds, continuing the 8 sets of 5 reps. Everything has been going well and I'm noticing consistent gains in strength. The one caveat I have is in regards to my physique. I've been adding sushi to my diet in order to get the protein from the fish, but the carbs from the rice are adding up. This wouldn't have been a problem if I was consistently doing cardio, but I haven't done any cardio since my Tough Mudder back in May. I'm not fat, but there is a slight bit of pudge showing where my stomach was once mostly flat; I need to remedy this. I'm going to have to start incorporating more cardio into my new routine (which means I need to buy new headphones for the gym). 
  • Yesterday I increased my squat yet again to 205 pounds for 8 sets of 5 reps. This was a little harder to finish so I think I'm going to do this weight for the rest of this week and all of next week before adding another 5 pounds. Overall I'm really hoping this is helping to increase my overall max which I should be attempting within the next month or so. 
  • Last week I improved my deadlift by 5 pounds, which makes it a 320 lb deadlift. This week I improved my bench by 5 pounds making it 190 lbs. I'm going to continue my current squat routine for at least another two weeks and then attempt a new pr there. Hopefully when it's all done all three of my lifts will have improved and I can refocus my training to hit bigger numbers by the end of the year. 
  • Update:

Mental health:
    I'll start with the bad news. I think it was the beginning of August when out cat finally passed on from his illness. It was sad but understandable. He had lung cancer. Anyway. Succumbed to a serious bout of not feeling like anything. Because grief. Still dealing with this somewhat, but much better than I was a few weeks ago (literally I was crying every night both for my grandma and the cat, seriously depressed, it was bad bad news all round last month). Getting better though. Every day, onwards and upwards.

Now the GOOD NEWS! Renos have started. Half our house is ripped apart. It feels great to have a purpose and that purpose right now is taking care of business around here. Home is in disarray so keeping it clean and tidy takes up a lot of time but feels good. Looking after the finances and getting on with life. For instance, it's really sad that our kitty passed on but I can't pretend that him being gone has lifted an enormous weight in terms of caring for him, that frees up another time block to deal with my life now. It's great working together with my husband to accomplish these renovations.

In terms of physical fitness:
    On working days, I want to start doing the track limit checks on the hoists every day. Just go and do them. That's a headframe, at least once a day every day. Since most headframes are about 100' tall... let's just say the stair and ladder climbing would do wonders for me. I want to get to the point where I no longer feel half dead when I get to the track limit equipment.

I NEED to kick my Tim Hoton's habit. Fuck it. Done. Cold Turkey. Now. French Vanillas, 10g of fat per. Switching to only homemade tea. Still eating fairly healthy considering our renovations have made life....interesting with available time to cook. Been doing lots of batch cooking; homemade shrimp gumbo yesterday for dinner. MMMMMM. Mr TC is really participating in the cooking end now, after at first resisting. It's great to see.

Since I weighed 210 lbs in February, I have lost some.
    I now weigh 194.2 according to the scale this morning.

My goal is to get back to a fit 180. This includes the muscle I gained working underground. And the muscle I hope to gain when I start weight training again. I am really feeling the need to drop some of this fat first.

I am also looking into an in-home cardio option for the winter. Probably a treadmill or a stationary bike. I already have a rowing machine but Mr. TC wants to try something different, so yeah. Costs a bit of cash so am saving now.

(Edited to clarify headframe climbs are working days, not all days)
  • This week I'll be taking off from squatting in order to give my legs a rest for the 10K I'm doing on Saturday. I'll be doing long cardio sessions post chest and back days this week. 
  • Yesterday I managed to get a 10 lb pr on my deadlift, making it 330 lbs total. This puts my overall lifting total at 800, just 200 away from the 1000 lb total most beginning lifters strive for. 

Also I picked up my bib and shirt for my 10k tomorrow. I have a total of 7 hours to finish the course, and considering I finished my Tough Mudder in 3 hours and that was 12 miles plus 22 obstacle courses, I'm feeling very confident. I'm still trying to raise money for the children's hospital as part of the event. If you want to help, go here and donate:

• So I finished my 10K earlier today. I managed to pass the six mile checkpoint in 1 hour and 8 minutes (roughly), and then passed the actual finish line in 1 hour and 10 minutes (roughly). I finished the first mile right around 9-10 minutes, and I had I managed to maintain that level of speed and endurance I would have had a much better time. If I do this again next year(which is likely) I'll need to do a lot more cardio prior to the race and really build up my endurance. Also, I'll need to get sleep next year because I had absolutely zero going into the race; too much anxiety the night before. 
  • So I'm impatient and couldn't wait until the end of the year to see if my lifts have improved; they have.

My bench is 195 lbs.

My squat is 280 lbs(no belt).

My deadlift is 335 lbs(no belt).

Hopefully by the end of the year I can further improve these lifts by ten or more pounds.
  • I went ahead and did another deadlift session last Saturday and it's up to 340 lbs (no belt). I've also been improving greatly on my squats. Every Monday I do 70-80% of my one rep max for 5 sets of 5 and then follow it up with hypertrophy and accessory work. Then every Wednesday I start with heavy front squats, follow those up with 60-70% of my one rep max for 5 sets of 5, and then follow that with hypertrophy and accessory work. Finally on Friday I do heavy pause squats where I hold the weight at the bottom position for 5 to 10 seconds at a time. 

My only failings right now are that I don't get enough sleep, and I don't do proper stretches pre or post workout. I'm working on getting more sleep and have a foam roller in my amazon cart waiting for me to purchase. Both will help with recovery, which will lead to more strength gains. 
  • If you are doing deadlifts, Sleep, stretching and warm ups are key. You don't want your tendon's rip off of from your bones because you didn't warm up.
  • I'm still pushing myself in the gym and increasing my strength. I'm still waiting to do new pr's till the end of the year, but my I can tell my overall strength is improving as I increase the weights in my five by five rep range. I'm now doing 210 pounds for a 5 by 5 on the squat, and on the bench I've increased it to as much as 165 pounds for 5.

I'm also currently considering I new diet, not because I'm worried about my physique, but because I'm becoming more conscious of what I'm eating. For the past 4 days I haven't eaten any land animals, at all. I've essentially started moving towards a pescatarian diet. I'm not opposed to eating animals (obviously), but I have become opposed to the treatment of animals for my own consumption. If I was running my own farm and out hunting, I wouldn't mind, but knowing how animals get treated on some farms and in slaughterhouses is making it more difficult for me to acceptably consume meat. 
  • I'm giving my legs a break, so no squats this week. I did do deadlifts yesterday, but that's the only exercise I did that directly involved my legs. The rest of this week will simply be push and pull days(all upper body work). My left leg has been really sore, so hopefully the week away will give it the rest it needs.

I'm also sticking to the pescatarian lifestyle, even going so far as to cut out all dairy and egg products completely. I'm literally eating nothing but fruits, vegetables, grains, nuts, soy based protein bars, and fish. For my milk intake(which was a staple of my diet) I've started drinking oat milk and it's absolutely delicious. 
  • In just over a month the new year will be here, so I'm focusing more than ever and hoping to achieve some pretty decent lifts at the end of December. My goals are as followed:

Squat: 1 rep max between 290 and 300 pounds
    Bench: 1 rep max between 205 and 210 pounds
    Deadlift: 1 rep max between 345 and 355 pounds.

If all goes well and my training has granted optimal results, I should be hitting 300, 210, and 355 by the end of the year.
  • Squats felt really good tonight. I think it's time for me to add more weight. Been doing 215 5 by 5's for a few weeks and I feel comfortable enough to push it to 220. If I can maintain this for the rest of the year, I'm certain I'll hit the numbers I want.
  • Did pause squats this evening and managed to hold 195 lbs for 16.3 seconds. 
  • Next week I'm going to attempt my three new 1 rep maxes for each major lift. After that I'm going to change my programming for the next few months, and this is what it's most likely going to look like.

Monday (Back)

-Deadlift

sets of 5 reps

-Start
    at 275 lbs.

-
    Increase weight over time

-Pull up

sets of 8 reps

-Barbell Row

-3 sets
    of 8 reps

-Start
    weight at 185 lbs.

-Lat pull down

-6 sets
    of 8 reps

-Start
    at 140 lbs

-End at
    190 lbs

-Face pull

-3 sets
    of 10 reps

lbs

-Chin up/Hammer pull up

-3 sets
    to failure

-Cable Curls

-3 sets
    of 8 reps

Tuesday (Chest)

-Bench Press

-5 sets
    of 5 reps

-Start
    at 170 lbs

-Increase
    weight overtime

-Drop
    weight to 135 lbs

-Do 3
    sets of 8 reps

-Military Press

-3 sets
    of 5 reps

lbs

-Increase
    weight overtime

-Incline Bench

-3 sets
    of 5 reps

lbs

-Increase
    weight overtime

-Floor Press

-3 sets
    to failure

-Start
    at 135 lbs

-Dips

-3 sets
    of 8 reps

-Tricep pull down

-3 sets
    of 10 reps

lbs

-Rope pull down

-3 sets
    of 8 reps

-90 lbs

-Close grip bench

-3 sets
    to failure

-Start
    at 135 lbs

-increase
    weight overtime

Wednesday (Legs)

-Squat

-5 sets
    of 8 reps

-Start
    at 195 lbs

-Increase
    weight overtime

-Drop
    weight to 135

-3 sets
    of 8 reps

-Calf raises

-3 sets
    of 12 reps

plates and a quarter

-Leg curl

-3 sets
    of 8 reps

lbs

-Sled Leg press

-4 sets
    of 8 reps

-Start
    at 300 lbs

-Increase
    weight overtime

Thursday (Chest and Back)

-Bench Press

-5 sets
    of 5 reps at 170 lbs

-Drop
    weight to 135 lbs

-3 sets
    of 8 reps

-Pull ups

-3 sets
    of 8 reps

-Incline Bench

sets of 5 reps

-Start
    at 135 lbs.

-Increase
    weight overtime

-Lat pull down

-6 sets
    of 8 reps

-Start
    at 140 lbs

-End at
    190 lbs

-Military Press

-3 sets
    of 5 reps

-Start
    weight at 100 lbs.

-Increase
    weight overtime

-Barbell row

-5 sets
    of 8 reps

lbs

-Dips

-3 sets
    of 8 reps

-Chin ups/Hammer pull ups

-3 sets
    to failure

-Tricep pull down

-3 sets
    of 10 reps

-Cable curls

-3 sets
    of 8 reps

-Rope pull down

-3 sets
    of 8 reps

-Close grip bench

-3 sets
    to failure

Friday (Legs)

-Front Squat

-5 sets
    of 5 reps

-Start
    at 135 lbs

-End at
    185 lbs

-Back squat

-5 sets
    of 5 reps at 185 lbs

-Drop
    the weight to 135 lbs

-3 sets
    of 8 reps

-Calf raises

-3 sets
    of 12 reps

-Leg curl

-3 sets
    of 8 reps

lbs

Sled Leg Press

-4 sets
    of 8 reps

-Start
    at 300 lbs

Saturday (If able (Chest and Back))

-Bench Press

-5 sets
    of 5 reps at 170 lbs

-3 sets
    of 8 reps at 135 lbs

-Pull up

-3 sets
    of 8 reps

-Incline Bench

-3 sets
    of 5 reps

lbs

-Lat pull down

-6 sets
    of 8 reps

-Start
    at 140 lbs

-End at
    190 lbs

-Military Press

-3 sets
    of 5 reps

-Face Pull

-3 sets
    of 8 reps

-Dips

-3 sets
    of 8 reps

-Chin ups

sets to failure

-Tricep pull down

-3 sets
    of 10 reps

-Rope Pull down

-3 sets
    of 8 reps

Sunday(Rest)

*Abdominal/core work
    will be done every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday post main workout.

• Hit 205 lbs on the bench. It was very slow and I just barely got it, but now I can focus on the squat and deadlift this week.
  • So I failed both my attempts at the squat and deadlift. I'm disappointed, but I take solace in knowing I can try again, and I will. For now I'm going to start my new programming and continue to update my programming every 3 to 4 months, following different exercises and rep ranges to constantly improve overtime. 

I will also be buying myself a belt for powerlifting within the next month, and will most likely re-attempt my maxes once I have that. They say you can get a 10-20 benefit from wearing a belt, and I'll be interested to see just how much of a benefit it actually is.
  • I totally lost my way towards the end of last year. A string of colds and my asthma flaring up really set me back. Excuse excuse excuse. Anyway. Time to quit whining and follow all the sheep back to the gym in the new year.

The question is will it be a 2 week thing like everyone else who feels bad they put on some timber over the holidays? Or will it stick for me?
  • Went in the gym and Monday and managed to deadlift 315 lbs for 5 reps. First time ever attempting that and I succeeded quite well.

Did not go into the gym at all yesterday because I felt like complete and total shit. 

Hoping to get back in there tonight and do some squats. Hopefully I can make it through today.
  • My right lat and pec have been feeling very tense the last couple of weeks, so I'm taking this week off from any push/pull movements and will squat everyday I workout instead. This should be fun.
  • Rest up. Best thing you can do. Stay away from bench!
  • Laphamking, maybe you need a massage or some shiatsu? and you need some rest in between you are over training your muscles, something like 2 days training one day rest. Especially with heavy training.
  • I've been working at minimal levels these last couple of weeks between my right pec and right hamstring being incredibly tense despite constantly stretching and working towards better mobility. I can't even squat because of how much pain it causes, so I signed up to get a massage tomorrow and hopefully between that and resting this weekend I can get back to training at optimal levels. 

I haven't squatted in two weeks...I really miss it. 

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week