Machinima Payola
  • So Machinima got caught with their hand in the cookie jar.  Evidently M$ paid them under the table to say nice things about the XBone.  Probably M$ secretly paid a number of ohter people and sites, which means public opinion is likely even worse for the XBone than we thought.  Not disclosing what amounted to advertising as actual advertising may be illegal, but I will believe charges or fines when I see them.  M$ is like WalMart, people already think they are the devil, so will their rep really take a hit?  My question is will Machinima end up loosing money because their reputation goes in the shitter?  When a neutral party secretly takes a bribe, people stop thinking of them as neutral.  Armstrong Williams took a real hit for taking money from Bush to say nice things about No Child Left Behind.  Do you think people will tune out on Machinima?
  • Whoops, just noticed that the forum has me under an account I tried to set up when I could not log in.  Their were a few days there where Sloth had the place all to himself.  Anyhoo Gully = Westsw.  Maybe I should have astroturfed myself like M$ astroturfs the XBone.
  • A bribery scandal in game journalism? Say it isn't so!

It's amazing people are not only still shocked by shit like this, but don't actually expect it. Next you'll be telling me other forms of journalism are compromised, or that the stock market is rigged, or that politicians don't have anything other than our best interests at heart. Inconceivable.

Machinima will no doubt cop some short term flak from their fanbase, then it'll be business as usual. Same as always. I will be very surprised if there are any legal repercussions. The law is only for the poor.

• Not really surprised by it. Also don't think it's a big deal. Machinima is known for doing this (being a partner with them myself). Then again, is paying people for positive ads really all that new? And is the commotion only because it's about the Xbox?
  • Paying people for positive press isn't new, nor is it bad, it's the whole paying people but not telling anyone they were paid part that is the source of the uproar. It's just like game reviewers getting paid under the table. It is a big deal if you have any morals, but people nowadays don't, and seem to enjoy being bent over and fucked hard so nothing will come of it. Fraud isn't just an ugly side of the business game any more, it is the game.
  • @Dr Flibble At least not everyone seems to be behaving like a crock of shit, though. I recall the head of Insomniac Games saying something along the lines of "I hope that next time we won't disappoint you", in reaction to one of the Ratchet & Clank games reviewing quite badly. That's honest business methinks.
  • This isn't new, it's been happening for ages, and all companies engage in it. The successful ones you never, ever hear about. This is definitely nothing new. It's like viral marketers, people go bananas when one is found, but there's a shitload of viral marketing that isn't discovered and is doing its job perfectly. We're all influenced.
  • Crappy behavior is not new. Deceit is not new. Should we not still be offended? If your solution is to just give up, then you preclude even the chance of improvement.
  • I am flabbergasted really I though these were honorable companies! :P

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week