Sony's E3 2013 Presentation Discussion
  • [center]image

Monday June 10th, 2013
    9 PM EST
    [/center]

The big reveal is upon us! We will finally be able to see what the PS4 looks like. I know for some this is a huge deal, while others don't really care. At 9PM EST Sony will show us the final product of what they are entering into the next generation of gaming!

What games are you looking forward to being announced? Are there any features of the PS4 that you hope that will be highlighted? What can Sony do to move ahead of MS in this console race?
  • Sony basically gave a beatdown of MS of amazing proportions, dropped the mic, and walked off the stage with Kanye West's "Power."
  • To sum up:

No DRM
    No online authentication
    Tons of indies
    $399
    PSN+ full carry over, 1 free game a month

And this:

[youtube]kWSIFh8ICaA[/youtube]
  • [video=youtube;kWSIFh8ICaA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=kWSIFh8ICaA[/video]

That pretty much summed it up. Sony will not restrict used games. They will not require online. They will not require a subscription for online. PS Plus is coming to PS4 day one with free stuff. It will also be a hundred dollars less than the slightly less stylish black box.

I had resigned myself to Sony going along with the death of used games. It was gonna be a debate between PS Plus and Steam sales for me. This presentation made my choice so very very simple. I feel for the folks that have so much invested in Xbox friends lists and Xbox achievements. MS is going to charge you as much as they possibly can. Xbox One will be the most expensive way to play games. Unless MS totally caves on used games, and I hope they do, that is all there is to it.

In terms of games, WatchDogs had the best demo. It is not exclusive, but it just looks so original. Destiny looked like it was gonna eat Borderlands alive. Exclusive-wise, the massed array of Indies was nice. I am a total inFamous head. There was no Fallout 4, call the Hague.
  • Well the games looked spiffy, there where some small glitches here and there, they said all the things i wanted to hear, just one thing, the base model is 399$ but what does it include or not include? i controller? no camera? HD size?
  • Epke said:
    Well the games looked spiffy, there where some small glitches here and there, they said all the things i wanted to hear, just one thing, the base model is 399$ but what does it include or not include? i controller? no camera? HD size?

Did not think about that, but still, I can not contain my excitement. This was EXACTLY what the sony consumers needed to hear. I hope I can get this on day one, but with the backlog I have, its best to wait.
  • GoodEnoughForMe said:
    To sum up:

No DRM
    No online authentication
    Tons of indies
    $399
    PSN+ full carry over, 1 free game a month

And this:

[youtube]kWSIFh8ICaA[/youtube]

[center]image[/center]

Although, I'm super bummed out that Versus XIII is now XV. I couldn't be less interested in it or Lightning Returns and it just means waiting even longer for another title. Boo hiss : (
  • Random thoughts: Infamous Second Son is the only announced game I care about. Driveclub should be nice too, I guess(free for PS+ right away by the way). You do have to pay 5$ a month for online, but that's inevitable I guess. I'm just super juiced for PS+ and Infamous.

MS really didn't sway me. Lots of generic looking sci-fi games(honestly between Watch Dogs, Destiny, Titanfall, KZ: Shadowfall, etc. sci-fi stuff is wearing even harder than zombie stuff), shooters and cars. To be fair Sony went the same direction but had another installment in my favorite open-world series lined up too. Some nice looking indie stuff as well and DriveClub could be a game me and my buddy get hooked on early lifespan via the challenges system.

Oh, and ND should have something real nice set up(smells like a new IP...)

By the way, am I the only one NOT pumped for Destiny? Borderlands without personality.

In the end, it's cheaper, has more indie and first party support, my friends are sony fanboys like me, I love Naughty Dog and Sucker Punch, KH3, and PS+.
  • Yikes! MS better do some clean up or something. The internet has called this fight already. Sony came out swinging and said/did what they needed to do to put themselves ahead of MS as of now. The crowds reaction to the slideshow and price was amazing. My buddy and I were watching it together and we were just in shock the whole time. That turned to excessive high-fives when the price was announced.

I'm just sitting here in awe of that $399 price tag with a big ol' grin on my face. Oh and Kingdom Hearts 3, fuck yes!
  • PS4 will have 500 GB HD and Cam is not included

http://kotaku.com/the-ps4-has-a-500gb-hard-drive-and-other-misc-details-512521805?utm_campaign=Socialflow_Kotaku_Twitter&utm_source=Kotaku_Twitter&utm_medium=Socialflow

500 GB is fine with me. Since we aren't DL'ing games to the HD directly, it'll be enough space. As for the camera, meh. I wouldn't use it that much anyways. My room is probably too small for it anyways.
  • DRUMMZ79 said:
    PS4 will have 500 GB HD and Cam is not included

http://kotaku.com/the-ps4-has-a-500gb-hard-drive-and-other-misc-details-512521805?utm_campaign=Socialflow_Kotaku_Twitter&utm_source=Kotaku_Twitter&utm_medium=Socialflow

500 GB is fine with me. Since we aren't DL'ing games to the HD directly, it'll be enough space. As for the camera, meh. I wouldn't use it that much anyways. My room is probably too small for it anyways.

The PDF in that article says the Eye is US $59, Canada $59, €49 and £44. So even with the camera added in it's still cheaper than a Xbox One. Did anyone mention if the 500GB HDD is expandable or can you use an external HDD for storage?
  • Sony wins. Was nice knowing you M$. How does that bukkake feel?
  • 500 GB sounds good. I put 500GB in my PS3 years ago. I have like 72 games (mostly a catalog of PS Plus) and a season of Doctor Who on there, with 160 GB left.

I am still so pleased that Sony is giving me a reason to stick with consoles. Between Plus and Amazon trade ins, this should continue to be an excellent value of dollars to hours of entertainment.

I suppose many said that if you let MS charge for multiplayer, it would open the door for further charges. They charged for LIVE, made a pile of money, and are looking for another pile. It is simply a matter of whether consumers will let them. When I walk into Starbucks and the line is 12 deep, I walk out. I am not waiting 20 minutes for the privilege of giving you 5 bucks for a cup of coffee. You gotta draw lines as a consumer. Clearly MS is going to have to do something. I have a hard time believing that the meager exclusives, snap mode, and fantasy football are gonna make consumers forget that they are being fucked. Maybe MS is willing to take a hit on numbers if they can just charge the Hell out of who is left, but that does not strike me as a great strategy. One new problem MS has is that if they change their policy now, who would trust them? Especially over time? We now know they are just waiting for the opportunity. I said inertia would play a huge role in the next gen. Between friends lists and achievements, there are identity costs involved in walking away. MS is going to test the shit out of that. How many are coming on down for the (financial) Boning?
  • I'll say that because I owned an Xbox360, I would have purchased the new Xbox even if it was slightly worse (at the same price), given that I was so used to the console, controllers, and my gamerscore/gamertag. However, these two consoles just seem to be on two different levels, and even if they were both priced at 400, it would be no contest to me to go with the PS4. The extra 100 dollars is just icing on the cake.

MS is definitely going to lose a lot of people who were fairly loyal to their console (as I was). They didn't even need to completely match Sony, for many people. People loyal to the Xbox would have gone with MS if they were close enough. I'm not sure they're going to get as many casual gamers or new gamers as they intended. Someone who is just getting into video games would probably go with a cheaper console. A casual gamer might not want to throw down 500 dollars.

Unless something amazing and super surprising comes up, it looks like I'll be switching to PS4. Which I am quite excited for.

Edit:
    I also find it kind of surprising that they are such different prices. I almost feel like coming out around the holidays, a lot of parents will be buying their kids consoles. People buying consoles who don't know much would generally go for a cheaper model. Unless some think because it's more expensive it's better? I'm not sure. Just seems off. Sony seems to have learned from the pricing of the PS3 and Xbox 360 that people want cheaper consoles.
  • Just so you know, Plus will be required for online. However, the benefits of plus FAR FAR FAR FAR FAR outweigh that of live. The service provides hundreds of dollars of content for that $50 price tag or w/e it is.

Sony came in and just kicked ass. I was speechless, other than going "OH SNAP" and "Nooo.... they wouldn't... they wouldn't... THEY DID", referencing all the flaws of MSFT.
  • I hear if you buy the Bone you get a free T-shirt that says "Sucker".

Fastest Console Wars EVARRR. The arrogant pricks deserved the the humiliation. I'd love to be a fly on the wall at M$ tonight. :D
  • Dr Flibble said:
    I hear if you buy the Bone you get a free T-shirt that says "Sucker".

Fastest Console Wars EVARRR. The arrogant pricks deserved the the humiliation. I'd love to be a fly on the wall at M$ tonight. :D

Microsoft will rethink their decisions/make changes throughout this generation. If they don't, it's over/they're complete idiots. What Sony did was great for the industry's direction, because MSFT will HAVE to follow in their footsteps to remain relevant to us (gamers). At least, that's what I think is going to happen.

I mean, my two buddies who like games but aren't the most hardcore when it comes to consoles were over last night and were getting so into the ass kicking Sony gave microsoft. Part of that was likely from me explaining the shit MSFT was doing, and don't get me wrong, we were very impressed with MSFT's press conference. However, Sony matched the games (that FFXV trailer blew us away) and then just went to town on MSFT. My two friends were clapping and fist-bumping.
  • They started out meh, and ended pretty darn perfect. I'll be buying a PS4, but chances are I'll get both consoles. Doesn't matter to me who "won" E3.
  • PS4 is region free for games (like the PS3) and the HDD is replaceable (like the PS3).

It's clearly two different ideologies at work here. MS is moving towards a set-top box that happens to play games, Sony is providing a game machine with some other entertainment stuff. I would have said early on that the former would win, but MS fumbled the delivery.

That said, E3 represents only a very small portion of the gaming audience.

I also don't think KH3 or FF XV are going to be exclusive, based on the wording around them. They specifically said XIV was exclusive, but omitted said verbiage from the XV and KH3 announcement.
  • I'll just buy both consoles, both have games I want to play. Noticed a pretty strong lack of "exclusively on PS4" but instead wording like "only on consoles on the PS4" or ways to say "this shit is on PC" or even on the Bone.
  • Great stuff from Sony, pretty much hit the nail on the head with everything they said/showed. My only complaint is that online multiplayer is now part of playstation plus. The free games with plus does soften the blow, and I'm sure many will have no issue paying for it due to that. I imagine I'll skip it, as I'm not huge into multiplayer as it is and I'd say it's more likely that plus would draw me in with the free games more so than online play. Beyond Two Souls intrigued me the most though, can't wait to play that. FFXV is looking crazy as well, the action RPG, almost hack-n-slash style is an interesting change. I'd still prefer an old school standard turn based RPG but we'll have to see how the game develops over the coming months.

That used games instructional video is hilarious.
  • Great conference, great freaking console. It's really now starting to feel like next gen is arriving! Absolutely gobsmacked at the €400 price tag, I always thought that 400 would be a perfect and ideal price for the PS4 and by golly that's what they did! Screw whatever else I was planning to get, I'm saving up for a PS4.

Also, Kingdom Hearts 3. Number 3. No colons, no subtitles, just the number 3. FINALLY! I also thought that Versus XIII would be changing its name to XV, deservedly so. XV looks absolutely phenomenal. I also loved the indie game focus from Sony, yet again. :)
  • Well, looks like Kingdom Hearts 3 isn't exclusive anymore.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/6/11/4419318/kingdom-hearts-3-launching-on-xbox-one
  • M$ are really giving the dog a Bone!

Buy the Bone, you get the Shaft!

The hand bone's connected to the X-Bone...

That's it. I'm Bone dry now.

I'll reconsider buying a Bone when or if M$ come to their senses. The current offer is for chumps and idiots.
  • WiiU is the most consumer friendly console of this gen.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week