Microsoft's E3 2013 Presentation Discussion
  • [center]image

Monday June 10th, 2013
    12:30 PM EST
    [/center]

Today is the day we've been waiting for. Time for Microsoft to try its damnedest to fix its image in the public's eye. There's a lot of talk that games will be the focus of this event and I really hope that MS can deliver.

What will MS have to done today to fix their image in your eyes? Are there certain games you're looking forward to? Is there anything that MS can do to ensure your purchase?

Let's talk it out here and toss our thoughts during and after the conference as well!
  • I'm kind of hyped and nervous for the MS press briefing with all the bad news (such as no backwards compatibility, anti-consumer DRM, lower spec hardware compared to the PS4, yield issues and possibly having to reduce the clock speed of the hardware making it weaker) and cancelled press meetings (and by going by the last couple of years E3 presentations) I am not sure MS are focused on new IP and core gamers that much. But it also means they could be preparing to get all the other stuff out of the way and really blow away people with great games.

Geoff Keighley tweeted that Microsoft Studios VP Phil Spencer said there would be 20 titles on stage. I would imagine this number would have to be a combination of 360 and Xbone games and not all would be exclusives.

That's a lot of games but my guess is we will see:

Announced for a MS console
    • Call of Duty: Ghosts
    • Titanfall
    • Forza 5
    • Qantum Break
    • Ryse
    • Fable: Aniversary
    • LocoCycle
    • Ascend: Hand of Kul / Ascend: New Gods
    • Metal Gear Solid (either Ground Zeroes or The Phantom Pain)
    • FIFA 14
    • Madden 14
    • South Park: The Stick of Truth
    • Fortnite

Unannounced for a MS console
    • Historic IP from Rare (going by rumours and renewals of trademarks I would say it's Killer Instinct 3 or a reboot of it)
    • World of Tanks
    • Hawken
    • Kinect Sports: Season 3
    • New IP from Black Tusk Studios
    • New IP from Microsoft Studios Victoria
    • Game from Bethesda/ZeniMax (putting it here as I'm hoping it's Fallout 4 but it could be Wolfenstein: The New Order or at a stretch The Evil Within - the later is unlikely as it's a horror game that might not be suitable for the time of day)

I think with that they cover all bases for Microsoft and will keep a lot of MS' larger (developer and publisher) partners happy. As it's a 90 minute presentation I think they would show very small glimpses of FIFA 14, Madden 14 and South Park: The Stick of Truth and more of those games can be shown at the indvidual publishers presentations.

But saying that I'd rather they showcase more first party studio titles and show loads of unannounced exclusive games (not timed or exclusive DLC).

I'm not sure what MS would have to do to insure my purchase of an Xbone. I'm kind of up in the air about it at the moment. At the moment I'm leaning towards getting a gaming PC or a PS4. If they increased the hardware specs to get closer to the PS4 and added backwards compatibility (through an add-on or something) then I may go for it. But the main thing would be loads and loads of great core first party games.
  • Kinect Sports Rivals was just announced. Meh. I figured a KSports would be on it's way.
  • Opens with the new open world Metal Gear 5. It looks great, with the sort of ridiculous characters we have come to expect. No mention of exclusives, so it is not an exclusive.

Short presentation on 360, but they mention we are down to 13 exclusives from 15, already. New Xbox 360 box, “quiet as ever” is a hilarious quote. Two free games a month is huge, starting with AssCreed 2 and Halo 3. World of Tanks is coming to 360. Wow do I not care, could be huge for some. 15 on 15 seems like a big step up for 360, of course “free to play” usually means “pay to win.” Max the Curse of Brotherhood looks way kiddee. Dark Souls 2 in March, woohoo! Don’t think it is exclusive, but woohoo just the same.

And on to the actual Xbox One. Trailer for Ryse is totally trying to do Saving Private Ryan, finally breaks into something that like gameplay, QTEs?, looks interesting. Killer Instinct looks much less interesting. Holy crap, Ted Price, Fuse is bombing, and Insomniac has switched sides. Sunset Overdrive trailers tells very little, does not really get me going, but Insomniac switching sides is huge. Forza 5 will make many people happy. Drivatar just sounds retarded, but what do I know?

We love indie games speech leads into more Minecraft, hoopdeedo. Thank god we finally have a machine powerful enough to run Minecraft, har har. Quatum Break game footage has a neat premise, but no real gameplay. D4 trailer reveals almost nothing. Project Spark starts with voice controls, then smartglass adds crude details. Do you have to have smartglass to use this game? Seems like they are trying to one up LBP. Man we won’t know if that thing is playable until it comes out.

Xbox live part of the presentation starts by touting smartglass some more. What devices are going to count as smartglass? I am not buying your damn tablet. Then we see a pro with a fightstick stomp somebody for reasons that appear poorly thought out. Social media matters not to me. Unlimited friends, matters to some, not me. Crimson Dragon trailer runs with no sound. Dead Rising 3 is not my thing, but the gameplay looks really crazy. Shit, you need smartglass again. If they are trying to cram smartglass down consumer throats the way Kinect has been lubed, then fuck that. Witcher 3 announced, is it exclusive?

EA comes out with Battlefield 4. I wish my stream did not suck, sixty frames will never make it through to me. Timed exclusives on map packs, just in case CoD ever looses the crown, I suppose. Below game does not impress me. Black Tusk trailer is devoid of useful information. Halo (5?) trailer for the faithful.

Launch in November 2013, $499.

Last exclusive is: TitanFall by Respawn. Looks pretty spiffy. Jesus you can cover ground, they chose a good closer. If they can do CoD with mechs…

They did not say boo about used games and all the questions we had. God, I hope Sony gives better clarity. The economics of the next generation will drive my decision. More information on the future of Xbox live (pricing, free games on Xbox One?) would have been nice for the same reason.

More surprises than I expected. Free games on the subscription is nice, totally an effect of Plus, hope it extends into Xbox One. Insomniac going Xbox One is very surprising, but felt like it would have been more important a few years ago.

They did not push Kinect like they have, three years running. They also did not show 13 or 15 exclusives, so I suspect many crap Kinect games are waiting in the wings. They did seem to be pushing that smartglass quite a bit. If you need that for stuff the work properly, fuck that.

Ryse and TitanFall jumped off the screen at me, and maybe some of the other stuff will be good. Rumor has it that TitanFall is only a timed exclusive, that it will be everywhere in a year. Closing with a timed exclusive would be kinda weak. They did not sell me an Xbox One, but it was a step up from their last few E3s. I am very glad they are opening studios.
  • westsw said:
    They did not say boo about used games and all the questions we had.

Of course they didn't. They don't have any answers that won't add fuel to the already raging fire. So all the really optimistic types that were telling themselves Uncle Bill would sort it all out at E3 must be feeling really fucking stupid now.

I'm still not interested in XBone. The good games they showed are almost all non-exclusive anyway. Titanfall looks like they might have finally got the formula right that Gundam games have been trying (and failing at) for years. But I won't buy a system for one game, especially since chances are it will end up being a timed exclusive only like so many "Only on Xbox360" games ended up being.

Ryse, or "D-Day: Centurion Edition", didn't do much for me.

The rest like Halo or Killer Instinct blah bladedy blah, do not give an inkling of a shit about any of them.

Also, Walking Dead Rising 3, what the fuck? Where's the comedy gone? I'd be very interested to see more of the game, but nothing in that trailer really felt like Dead Rising. It felt like something new. Where are the teddy bears with machine guns or helicopter helmets? Or extra PP for upskirt shots? A flashlight taped to a gun and a chainsaw on a stick doesn't scream barrel o' laffs.
  • I'm still not sure about the Xbox One. At the moment I don't think I'll put down £429 on a pre-order.

Titanfall, Forza 5 and Quantum Break all looked like good games.

I'm kind of gutted Rare are not doing Killer Instinct and I'm not sure about Double Helix by their track record. The game also didn't seem like a next gen title to me. I think if this was on the previous generation it would have been a XBLA game and I expect this game not to be a full retail title. But it still could be good. I'll wait for some more information.

I'm kind of done with Dead Rising (think there have been too many of them over the last few years). Crimson Dragon seems OK but I think I need more coverage on that to make any decision.

I like the idea of Twitch integration and the upgraded Smart Glass stuff sounds good. Plus it's good to see an indie studio like Cappy supporting the console. But none of that stuff are system sellers for me.

Update/Edit: Apparently Killer Instinct is a download only F2P game - http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/06/11/killer-instinct-is-a-fun-free-to-play-xbox-one-launch-game?abthid=51b6d0edec67b0542a000058

Not sure how a fighting game works when you can't try out every character but it will be interesting to see how that goes.
  • Dr Flibble said:
    Also, Walking Dead Rising 3, what the fuck? Where's the comedy gone? I'd be very interested to see more of the game, but nothing in that trailer really felt like Dead Rising. It felt like something new. Where are the teddy bears with machine guns or helicopter helmets? Or extra PP for upskirt shots? A flashlight taped to a gun and a chainsaw on a stick doesn't scream barrel o' laffs.

Usually Dead Rising reveals are serious first, then later trailers bring the funnies. I'd hang tight, I trust their devs because for instance, DR2 had no reason being as good as it did capturing the original appeal of DR, and they had changed developers.
  • Is it bad that for a second I thought about putting down a pre-order on a Xbox One after I saw this achievement? ;)
  • amardilo said:
    Is it bad that for a second I thought about putting down a pre-order on a Xbox One after I saw this achievement? ;)

Uhm. What.
    ---

Dead Rising 3 looks delicious. Can't wait.
  • I still don't get, unless MS changes their policy, how any gamer with an interest in preserving some semblance of consumer tradition and power could support this console. It's the most consumer-unfriendly console we've ever seen, and is basically MS giving a big "fuck you" to a lot of people (for those of the "support the troops" variety, it completely and totally ends any of their hopes of playing an XBone). It's Sony's 2006 arrogance amplified to actual policies that could irreparably damage console gaming. The head dude or whatever was on BBC the other day and his entire tone was that of "it's a good price because we chose it and the consumer needs to understand that and that's final" as if it's our fault, again.

Maybe it's just me though? I don't see why I should ever support an always online game. Or a jingoist racist military murder fest. I see no reason why I should support a console like this, either.
  • I won't be touching this console with a ten-foot barge pole. Add a high price point, always online and DRM, and you have a cocktail of shit.
  • GoodEnoughForMe said:
    I still don't get, unless MS changes their policy, how any gamer with an interest in preserving some semblance of consumer tradition and power could support this console. It's the most consumer-unfriendly console we've ever seen, and is basically MS giving a big "fuck you" to a lot of people (for those of the "support the troops" variety, it completely and totally ends any of their hopes of playing an XBone). It's Sony's 2006 arrogance amplified to actual policies that could irreparably damage console gaming. The head dude or whatever was on BBC the other day and his entire tone was that of "it's a good price because we chose it and the consumer needs to understand that and that's final" as if it's our fault, again.

Maybe it's just me though? I don't see why I should ever support an always online game. Or a jingoist racist military murder fest. I see no reason why I should support a console like this, either.

Nope, it isn't just you! :)
  • Agreed GEFM. Why anyone would want to deal with an organization that is openly hostile towards them is baffling.

Boners and Boneheads, That's M$' lot.
  • amardilo said:
    Is it bad that for a second I thought about putting down a pre-order on a Xbox One after I saw this achievement? ;)

Wow, if you read those comments...
    People are pissed. MS is definitely losing a lot of the 360 players they had.
  • Manio said:
    Uhm. What.
    ---

Dead Rising 3 looks delicious. Can't wait.

At first I thought it was a joke but it's not the only site tracking it as some other sites are pulling it in too - http://www.trueachievements.com/Microsoft-Store/achievements.htm

MissScooter said:
    Wow, if you read those comments...
    People are pissed. MS is definitely losing a lot of the 360 players they had.

Yeah a lot of people don't seem happy about it. Also I can't tell how exactly you get that achievement. Do you have to go into a MS store pay a deposit on a console and provide them with your gamer tag or does it unlock only for those that start up a Xbox One on launch dat (the Microsoft Store could be the online store).

I guess this is also the start of getting chevos for other things like streaming videos or Skype chatting with someone.
  • If M$ goes back to their old format I wonder if EA will suddenly reannounce online passes?
  • Dr Flibble said:
    If M$ goes back to their old format I wonder if EA will suddenly reannounce online passes?

I have a feeling if M$ doesn't sell many consoles (they most likely will anyways) they may go back to the formula. Would they just need to release a patch to fix the used game, and always online thing, or would they have to make another model of Xbone?

That said, my 360 was always connected to the internet anyways, and I barely bought used games to begin with, so I'll still be buying the Xbone, but I'm also buying a PS4.
  • Don't worry, guys. There's a solution for those with no access to the internet.

[youtube]jzmVcasl3ZU[/youtube]
  • The ONLY way MS will change it's policy is if it costs them money. Period. There will be online protests aplenty. There will be petitions. It won't matter. MS will look at the Christmas sales numbers and make further decisions. If they sold enough, they will look forward to thinking of further revenue streams. If sales stink and the PS4 gets out to a big lead, they will realize they have to do something. Everyone who buys an Xboner at launch is ensuring further shennanigans. You want MS to change? Don't give them money. And after RROD, who would buy a MS box at launch? I just do not get it.
  • People were complaining about Dead Rising 3 not being humorous, and going for a more serious game. I tweeted the official Dead Rising twitter, and got this back.

So, that's good right?
  • Manio said:
    I have a feeling if M$ doesn't sell many consoles (they most likely will anyways) they may go back to the formula. Would they just need to release a patch to fix the used game, and always online thing, or would they have to make another model of Xbone?

The whole thing feels like a policy that would be very easy to walk away from, should they wish. Particularly given the fact that the charge for 2nd hand games is publisher-specific I'm sure that charge could very easily be set to 'zero'. As for the always-online check, that surely has to be a simple thing to patch? Surely?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week