E3 2013 in a week
  • [youtube]ryB-hdtpQRw[/youtube]

To quote my Twitter, I threw up all over my living room while watching this. According to Angry Joe consoles are dead. We can all go home guys. No need for E3 this year. Yep, no need for any presentation. They're dead! Hooray, no need to worry about the X1 vs PS4 debate. I'm so sick of all the negativity and fucking bitching.
  • Here's a better video drumz:

[video=youtube;et8X0H6JslY]

I have to say, giving publishers the ability to basically cripple your ownership of your games in the way that you can't resell or give the game to your friends, that there are gonna be a lot unhappy sports game fans. Because nobody keeps playing FIFA 11 when FIFA 13 is out. And guess who Microsoft seem to be appealing to the most at the moment? Sports fans.

I agree that the bitchiness is at an all time high with this one, but my God I almost don't blame them!
  • If you aren't angry about what's going on, you either don't have the mental capacity to understand what's happening (like the dude in FirLocke's video), or you don't care.

Both options are equally awful.

If people don't say no, it won't end here, just like it hasn't ended until now. It'll get worse, as it has gotten worse over the past 20 odd years. It ends with your last blood-drenched dollar sliding out of your irreparably ruptured rectum.
  • Pretty much.

Every single media industry has learned to co-exist with used goods and rentals. The movie industry did long ago, and continues to do so through their pirating and 3D crusade of the 21st century. Even the music industry, in all of its pirate-crusader 'glory' from back in the 90s, when the media and consumer understanding was much lower, has understood this is an area you don't touch.

But only the games industry seems to believe it can take an entirely anti-capitalist ideal (that what you own is not under your purview) and apply it wholesale. They hide this argument behind words like "licensing" and "digital data" but are the 0s and 1s on your disc so different from the As and Bs in a book? And are both not, ultimately, physical goods in your hands?

Newsflash; companies don't go out of business because of consumer practice. Aggressively pursuing new technology wasn't average Joe gamer's edict; none of us sit on MS or Sony board of directors. It wasn't the gaming consumer who was egregiously slow to react to free-to-play and mobile. It was mismanagement by the companies themselves that got them here. But for the last few years, these companies, and the publishers, have been waging a media war to blame everyone and everything for the gaming industry's rapid shrinking and struggles on everyone but themselves. "Used games," they'd say, or "piracy." The Xbox division has lost money for MS over the course of both consoles. Sony lost money on the PS3. At some point, maybe these companies should do some internal investigations for why they can't figure out how to make a profit on games. There's even a direct competitor who has made a profit on just about every single console they've made, until their most recent release (hint, their mascot is a plumber). That much larger, international companies with oodles of resource can't figure this out is rather baffling, but then again, MS got their ass kicked by Apple and just about everyone in the mobile market, so maybe it was inevitable.

McDonalds, Walmart, even Amazon and Google (other tech companies) don't start pointing fingers at the consumers if their shit hits the fan, because it's both false and alienates their consumer base. But "gamers" in all their nerd-clique glory have swallowed the pill here. There is no difference between the rabid Apple fanboy who extols their greatness and fairness as a company, and the MS, Sony, or Nintendo fanboy who does the same for their games.

Even the common argument that "it's just like Steam!" is so flawed it makes me scratch my head. If I don't like or agree with Steam practices (who, coincidentally enough, offer way, way more sales and slashed prices that MS or Sony), I can use any number of other similar services; GoG, Gamefly, Origin (lol), Green Man Gaming, GamersGate, and more. There is hardly a monopoly over distribution. On your console, all of your purchases will go through one entity alone, and they will exercise total control of the pricing. Forgive me for being cynical and not expecting that the 25% cheaper prices involved in making and distributing digital games will not be passed onto a consumer through the console stores.

Look, the Xbox One isn't "the end of the world" of gaming or anything. And it's hard to deny some aspects, particularly some of the media ones, are pretty neat. I'm sure there will be some pretty awesome gaming experiences to be had on it, and Xbox Live (from all that I have read or heard) is a pretty darn fun and streamlined experience. But it's also hard to not be incredibly frustrated with the fact that these companies have been blaming you - yes, you, the one reading this - for all that ails the gaming industry, and then when they penalize you for it, it gets excused or justified, as though the gaming industry is so unique it deserves to ignore ideas of self-ownership and free movement of goods that has been a quintessential building block of western media success for, you know, centuries. But hey, if gamers are willing to shoulder the blame for multi-billion dollar international corporations, that's cool I guess. Just don't come crying when it doesn't provide the experience you want.
  • DRUMMZ79 said:

I'm so sick of all the negativity and fucking bitching.

Get used to it dude thats what people do. It is just so much easier to bitch and moan about things than actually say something interesting that is positive or even say something negative that is constructive.

Saying that I do think Microsoft have a shit tonne to do at E3 because their reveal conference was terrible. An hour long and hardly any of it was about actual games. I wanna see some banging X Bone exclusives. Lets see an awesome Rare game (that's not for kinect). And as for Sony. C'mon gimme a bit more than infamous and killzone.
  • There seems to be a lot of negativity and bad news and rumours at the moment (honestly I would be OK with no pre-owned/reselling of games as thats not a something I do but it's still not good news and the rumours about the Xbone having yield issues resulting in lower clock speeds making the PS4 seem even more powerful) and as a result my level of hype for E3 has lowered.

nutta27 said:
    Saying that I do think Microsoft have a shit tonne to do at E3 because their reveal conference was terrible. An hour long and hardly any of it was about actual games. I wanna see some banging X Bone exclusives. Lets see an awesome Rare game (that's not for kinect). And as for Sony. C'mon gimme a bit more than infamous and killzone.

Still have a little hope that after this MS will come out swinging with some big games that are not all Kinect and family orientated and Sony announces more core games and goes all out to capitalizing on MS' bad situation.
  • Listen, I know Microsoft has really screwed the pooch with the way they've handled all of this and as someone who has ate up everything about both of the upcoming console, I can't say that I've been happy with what I've heard from Microsoft's side of the camp. It's not even the complaining that I'm fed up with, it's the people like Angry Joe that are raging over certain topics. I can understand being pissed off about things but once you start screaming and spitting everywhere, even if your points have something to them, I'm not going to take you serious. I guess that's why I like coming here so much. Yes we don't all agree with what MS is doing, or each other's views on the topics, but none of us are going to type in all caps and call each other stupid and retarded over these things.

When it comes to the used games DRM thing, it effects me in an indirect way. I do trade in games, but that's the extent to which used games have any impact on me. Now I really DO feel for those that can only afford used games and use trade-ins to buy games as well. I know that not everyone is middle class like I am and for them I know this news has to really fucking suck. I guess in my case, I'll just be more selective when I buy games and try my best to build a game library of games that I want to constantly go back to.

Now, always online. I still don't know exactly where I stand on this one. Part of me says that it doesn't matter because my current console is already ALWAYS connected to the internet anyways, but on the other hand what if the MS servers get fucked and they all go down? That's something that has me nervous and I know that if it did happen to me, I'd be very very pissed.

All in all, instead of screaming at the internet, why not just speak with our wallets instead? No need for us to bitch and fuss and then when the console release comes, we just take it on the chin. If you don't like the console don't buy it. MS will wise the fuck up if their sales plummet to the ground. I don't want to see a company fail, but if they're not impressing you, don't pick one up.
  • Well said, GEFM. I find it amazing how these multimillion/billion dollar corps can't find a reasonable way to make a profit while keeping their consumers happy.

Random thought just popped into my head. Back in the day, games/consoles were very expensive. They're not cheap today, but they were way more expensive. Now, what if that kind of distribution was brought back? Would we see less of this shit? If a console actually cost $600 to buy, and games were $100 each, what would we see? Higher quality of games because the shovelware would be weeded out? More appreciation for what games we buy? Less of this DRM bull shit from the corporations?
    Maybe this should be in a new thread..
  • DRUMMZ79 said:
    Listen, I know Microsoft has really screwed the pooch with the way they've handled all of this and as someone who has ate up everything about both of the upcoming console, I can't say that I've been happy with what I've heard from Microsoft's side of the camp. It's not even the complaining that I'm fed up with, it's the people like Angry Joe that are raging over certain topics. I can understand being pissed off about things but once you start screaming and spitting everywhere, even if your points have something to them, I'm not going to take you serious. I guess that's why I like coming here so much. Yes we don't all agree with what MS is doing, or each other's views on the topics, but none of us are going to type in all caps and call each other stupid and retarded over these things.

Now, always online. I still don't know exactly where I stand on this one. Part of me says that it doesn't matter because my current console is already ALWAYS connected to the internet anyways, but on the other hand what if the MS servers get fucked and they all go down? That's something that has me nervous and I know that if it did happen to me, I'd be very very pissed.

All in all, instead of screaming at the internet, why not just speak with our wallets instead? No need for us to bitch and fuss and then when the console release comes, we just take it on the chin. If you don't like the console don't buy it. MS will wise the fuck up if their sales plummet to the ground. I don't want to see a company fail, but if they're not impressing you, don't pick one up.

1. People can become wrapped up easily with something they're very passionate about. It's their right to say what they want and it's ours not to listen :)
    2. Always online has me afraid simply because I don't always want to be online. Weird to think that, but I don't. I don't know about you guys, but my internet is a pain in the ass, despite being pretty damn good. It's not consistent, and I have problems with it slowing down or doing random stuff quite frequently.
    3. I completely agree. The wallet speaks for ALL! :D
  • Slixshot said:
    Random thought just popped into my head. Back in the day, games/consoles were very expensive. They're not cheap today, but they were way more expensive. Now, what if that kind of distribution was brought back? Would we see less of this shit? If a console actually cost $600 to buy, and games were $100 each, what would we see? Higher quality of games because the shovelware would be weeded out? More appreciation for what games we buy? Less of this DRM bull shit from the corporations?
    Maybe this should be in a new thread..

Definitely new thread worthy. However, my first thought at the $600 + 100$ games combo sounds like a metric shit ton of piracy and PCs becoming the primary gaming for pretty much everyone.

It's important to note though, that Nintendo seem to believe firmly in the premium pricing model. Speaking about the 3DS for a moment, while the system itself isn't very expensive - and will probably continue to be the cheapest system to afford in the 8th generation - it's games are. Games made directly by Nintendo such as Fire Emblem, Luigi's Mansion 2, Animal Crossing, Donkey Kong, many Mario games, Zelda are all between 40 and 45 euro and they stay at that price for years. However, those games are valued greatly by the people who buy them.

Even when those people aren't happy with the game, they tend to get a fair bit back from their trade in. I got 22 euro back from Donkey Kong Country Returns for the Wii when I traded it in 3 years after release. I got 4 euro back for Batman Arkham Asylum that same day. Of course, there is no bullshit between me and my games when it comes to Nintendo. I own the game, and I can do what I like with it. Whether it be to trade it in, give it to a friend or -gasp- play it offline when I have no internet for more than 24 hours!
  • If this generation is a shit-show I'm glad my PC is up to date specs wise.
  • The more and more I read that press release, the angrier I get. Gah. I'm just sick of MS seeing how far they can push us.

EDIT: Pretty good video on the matter. See? Valid arguments can be done in a calm fashion.

[youtube]9APmJHu8DNs[/youtube]
  • http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/main

So MS released some information on some the questions that have been asked.

You won't have to be connected all the time. But you will need regular updates, check ins at least once a day, and you will need to be online to put any new games on your console. No internet, go fuck yourself.

Discs can only be given to friends once, and they must have been your friends list for at least thirty days. MS does not charge a fee for resale, but the site makes it perfectly clear that publishers can fuck you as hard as they like. Used games will be a thing of the past. You can pass on a game once, under very restricted circumstances, then, again, please to go fuck yourself.

You can turn off the camera. We may be able to fuck you over, but you can not make us watch you fuck yourself.

Pretty damn discouraging stuff. Required connections can be a real pain. Steam has offline mode. I don't care how they try to hide it in the language, it is just total war on used games. Sixty a pop, with no chance to recoup really changes the economics of consoles for anyone with a brain.

The most terrifying part is that I just don't think they would do all this if Sony were not planning something similar. Well maybe not the connection stuff. I hope Sony comes clean by E3. Man, the Steam Box is sounding better and better.
  • http://www.sfgate.com/technology/businessinsider/article/Microsoft-Has-Hired-People-To-Make-Positive-4587677.php

"The story goes: While at Microsoft for a meeting, Misty Silver saw and overheard some employees on Reddit. She looked at one of the employee's screens:
    "I noticed he was mass-downvoting a ton of posts and comments, and he kept switching to other tabs to make posts and comments of his own. I couldn't make out exactly what he was posting, but I presumed he was doing RM (reputation management) and asked my boss about it later. According to my boss, MS have[sic] just brought in a huge sweep of SMM managers to handle reputation management for the Xbox One," Silver reported."

Yiiiiiikes. That doesn't help Microsoft's image at all.
  • DRUMMZ79 said:
    http://www.sfgate.com/technology/businessinsider/article/Microsoft-Has-Hired-People-To-Make-Positive-4587677.php

"The story goes: While at Microsoft for a meeting, Misty Silver saw and overheard some employees on Reddit. She looked at one of the employee's screens:
    "I noticed he was mass-downvoting a ton of posts and comments, and he kept switching to other tabs to make posts and comments of his own. I couldn't make out exactly what he was posting, but I presumed he was doing RM (reputation management) and asked my boss about it later. According to my boss, MS have[sic] just brought in a huge sweep of SMM managers to handle reputation management for the Xbox One," Silver reported."

Yiiiiiikes. That doesn't help Microsoft's image at all.

Yikes.

Oh well. Apparently Sony had people hopping around down-voting anything that had to deal with Xbox One. Could you really expect anymore more out of Reddit?

Keep in mind I'm basing that statement from my experiences over there.
  • Manio said:
    Could you really expect anymore more out of Reddit?

Haha I mean I except this kind of thing from ANY big company dealing with bad PR, but to get caught red-handed like this is only going to make MS look even worse in angry gamer's eyes.
  • Game companies have been doing that on Reddit and internet forums for years now.
  • Wooo! Here we go! Today is the big day!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week