E3 2013 in a week
  • Well, we are about a week out from the most interesting E3 of the last few years. What are folks predicting? Hoping for? Fearing?

    Nintendo has run for cover and the Steam Box will not be there. (Although testing of actual Steam Boxes has been rumored to start in July.) Sony and MS have both held early events, so how many surprises can there really be?

    Will we actually get clarity on used games? My bet is that it'll be five bucks to play a used disk. More than that really changes the model, for rational adults anyway. If MS and Sony do not have the same model for used games, that will be very significant, but that is unlikely. Sony has already said PS4 will not require an internet connection, but that does not mean they can't require you to link up if you want a used disk to run.

    Games games games. That is what both are promising. Sony has already shown some gameplay. The fact that Jonathon Blow is going with Sony feels significant for indies. Sony has had more exclusives lately, so much so, they are often forced to resort to montages. With Sony, everyone is expecting The Last Guardian to resurface. That and Agent have been eternal promises that may end up as vapor ware. MS said 15 exclusives, 8 new IPs. Beyond Halo, Gears, Forza, Crackdown and Alan Wake; I don't know many MS franchises. The Wake guys are doing a new IP, so that leaves many blanks for me. Maybe others know better. Of the 8 new IPs, we don't know how many are actual Triple AAAs, how many are fifteen dollar jobbies, and how many Kinect Sesame Street and the like. If it ends up being 5 or 6 Kinect titles, that would be very disappointing. The last few MS presentations have been "You didn't buy the Kinect yet? Well I hope you really really like early Call of Duty DLC, asshole." I hope this does not end up being "You now have to buy a Kinect and here's what you're getting, asshole."

    I am worried that MS may just buy some exclusives, from third parties, which is just plain bad for gamers. Do you want people investing money in new first party games, or investing in restricting consumer access to games that are already going to exist? Anyone who is actually a gamer, or understands anything about consumer economics can only root for one of those answers. It may be MS interest to buy third party exclusives, but it will never be in yours or mine interest. If they paid off Bethesda to not put Fallout 4 on Sony (stunningly unlikely example) I would feel very trapped. Either I have to buy an Xbox or invest in a real gaming PC.

    Hey speaking of actual games, exclusive or otherwise, what are people dying to see? Fallout 4 leads the charge for me. My three favorite franchises may be Bioshock, Fallout, and inFamous. We already know about Sons, so maybe we can see some gameplay for the new inFamous. Uncharted 4 would be nice, but I hope it looks like the kind of leap we saw from 1 to 2. The jump from 2 to 3 was much less impressive. Speaking of whacky surprises, if Sony announced Fallout Vita, I would be both excited and pissed off. Great, now I gotta buy a Vita.

    I wonder what the subscription services will look like and cost in the next generation? PS Plus has turned into a helluva deal in the last year. I hope they continue something like it. Hell, I hope they continue it as is, I am paid up to 2015. Is Xbox live going to crank up to twenty bucks a month? Is that service going to change? I think not, but what do I know?

    Are there going to be any real surprises? The big surprises I was hoping for were on content, and the recent conferences would have been where they would do that. I just can't think of anything that I am really hoping for. It would be very nice to be shocked, of course.

    The upcoming generation is going to have more inertia than any generation before it, for the reason of identity. Achievements and trophies have created a quantifiable gamer identity that did not exist before. I am trying to let go of plats, but I really want to hit level 20. I am sad to say how much that sways me for a PS4. I know many people here, whose desire to keep adding to their Xbox gamer score will play big role as well. I have been trying to look at my own inertia more critically. If these consoles cost six hundred, require subscriptions to use, and make used games non-cost-effective; I hope I will have the strength to see Valve comes up with. I want an excellent gaming experience in the living room, with the lowest overall cost over time.
  • Personally I'm sitting back and waiting to see who impresses me more this E3. As of right now I'm not leaning either way so I'm looking for either company to knock my socks off with what they have to say. Price is huge for me as well. I'm not really looking to spend more than $500, but if one of the companies really brings it and makes me a strong supporter of their unit, I'll shell out $550.

    I know it's kind of stupid to say, but I want one of the companies to show off something that really makes me sit back and say "WOW" with a huge smile on my face. For me, gaming is all about making myself happy and enjoying the time I have devoted to the game I'm playing. If Sony or MS can get that big smile from me, whether it be due to one point in their press conference or one thing as a whole, that will really sway my decision.

    Games wise it's all about what exclusives look the best to me. I am interested in this deal that MS has with EA. I'm a big fan of sports games and if MS is going to bust out some sweet deal with EA that could effect my decision. I want some new IP's as well. I'm sick of the same old song and dance from Sony and MS. I want one of them to show me a game that makes me say, "Holy balls, I need the system just for THAT game." I know it's a long shot, but I would love for that to happen.

    I am excited for what Nintendo has to show us as well. I know they aren't doing an official presentation, but I can't wait to see more about Pokemon and Super Smash Bros. I've always been a huge Pokefan so seeing the series taking the leap into 3D is one that has me very excited. In the case of SSB I just want to hear anything and everything they have to say. I know I'll pick it up for the 3DS, but if it looks good enough that game may be a reason to pick up the Wii U.

    For me, at least the past couple of years, I've really tried to make E3 a friend-oriented experience. Last year I had my buddy over for the MS presentation and this year I'm having a few friends over for pretty much every presentation. I'm very excited for this year's E3 and I want to share that with other people. I can't wait to see what you all have to say about everything as it's happening as well. I'll be on here, talking with friends and live blogging every presentation. I love this time of the year. This site's activity picks up and we get some great discussions going and I think this year in particular is going to generate some AMAZING topics.

    Well that's about all I have to say I think. Sorry I dragged it on for awhile. In short, I'm very very excited for this year's E3. I'm going to be like a kid on Christmas morning that whole week. Now is one hell of a time to be a gamer, that's for sure.
  • westsw said:
    I am worried that MS may just buy some exclusives, from third parties, which is just plain bad for gamers. Do you want people investing money in new first party games, or investing in restricting consumer access to games that are already going to exist? Anyone who is actually a gamer, or understands anything about consumer economics can only root for one of those answers. It may be MS interest to buy third party exclusives, but it will never be in yours or mine interest. If they paid off Bethesda to not put Fallout 4 on Sony (stunningly unlikely example) I would feel very trapped. Either I have to buy an Xbox or invest in a real gaming PC.


    I really hope MS don't just buy exclusive access to some other publishers IP. I also hope MS don't spend more of that rumoured $1bn games budget on more time exclusives. I would much rather Microsoft spend the money to make their own games.

    Also with just buying games from other publishers how much are those games going to show off the power of their console. I think first party studios are better placed to make games that really get the most out of the hardware.

    DRUMMZ79 said:
    Personally I'm sitting back and waiting to see who impresses me more this E3. As of right now I'm not leaning either way so I'm looking for either company to knock my socks off with what they have to say. Price is huge for me as well. I'm not really looking to spend more than $500, but if one of the companies really brings it and makes me a strong supporter of their unit, I'll shell out $550.

    I know it's kind of stupid to say, but I want one of the companies to show off something that really makes me sit back and say "WOW" with a huge smile on my face. For me, gaming is all about making myself happy and enjoying the time I have devoted to the game I'm playing. If Sony or MS can get that big smile from me, whether it be due to one point in their press conference or one thing as a whole, that will really sway my decision.


    I am waiting to see what happens too. At the moment I'm not sure if I want a Xbox One, PS4 and/or build a gaming PC. If the prices are low enough I think I may get a gaming PC for multiplatform titles (as backwards compatibility is less of an issue) and a console for exclusives.

    Generally I'm pretty hyped up for E3 and looking forward to seeing some games.
  • They're going to have to really bring it for me to give a toss. I've all but given up on XBone unless Billy rolls out a shitload of impressive games. I do not care at all about any other non-gaming functions.

    I'll mainly be watching for Sony, and depending on what's revealed will determine where I go next. I'm already browsing Steam a lot more these days.

    Contrary to you guys, this is one of the least anticipated E3s for me. I expect mediocrity all round from the actual consoles, consumer rape of epic proportions from publishers, and then fanboy apologist huffing and puffing for the remainder of the year. I hope to be proven wrong however. There will no doubt be a few good looking games -and a lot more gimmicky shovelware- but I still have a huge backlog on the current gen, plus the WiiU is getting cheaper and more attractive every day here. I won't be jumping on board day 1 like I did with the Wii, 360, and PS3.
  • Dr Flibble said:
    ...and a lot more gimmicky shovelware...


    Haha you're expecting gimmicks with another Kinect, a system with a camera and touch pad on it's controller, along with a system that is all about a dual screen experience? Yeeeeah right! Hahaha all jokes aside I agree with ya man. I expect a fair share of VERY gimmicky games from all of the big 3. I just ope that the other games that are shown are presented with more of an emphasis and outnumber those gimmicky games.
  • Dr Flibble said:
    ...and a lot more gimmicky shovelware...


    Haha you're expecting gimmicks with another Kinect, a system with a camera and touch pad on it's controller, along with a system that is all about a dual screen experience? Yeeeeah right! Hahaha all jokes aside I agree with ya man. I expect a fair share of VERY gimmicky games from all of the big 3. I just ope that the other games that are shown are presented with more of an emphasis and outnumber those gimmicky games.
  • Good to see some of the stuff coming, although Fable 4 as center square is not a good sign. That franchise has been a little lawn-darty.
  • So, a new list of Sony games for the conference has surfaced:

    Beyond: Two Souls
    DriveClub
    Everquest Next
    Gran Turismo 6
    Infamous: Second Son
    Invizimals: The Alliance
    Invizimals: The Lost Kingdom
    Killzone: Mercenary
    Killzone: Shadow Fall
    Knack
    Puppeteer
    Tearaway
    The Last Guardian
    The Last of Us
    Until Dawn
    Warrior’s Lair
    Wonderbook: Diggs Nightcrawler

    Man, what a mixed bag. Some killer stuff, and some obvious kiddee shovelware. I don't think I was pining for two "invizimal" games. Not invizimal enough, as far as I see. Everquest jumps off the page, though. I hope to god to never fall down the MMO hole, I have enough addictions; but if Sony is really going to try to fight WoW or LoC by sneaking in the living room, that would be interesting. Probably gonna be kiddee crap, but u nevah no.
  • Sunflower said:
    image


    Could be fun if this is legitimate. I only saw Machinima talk about it, and they aren't exactly the best source for gaming information, and news.

    Either way, could be fun. Halo 5, and Dead Rising 3 from the looks of it. Love me some Dead Rising.
  • westsw said:
    So, a new list of Sony games for the conference has surfaced:

    Beyond: Two Souls
    DriveClub
    Everquest Next
    Gran Turismo 6
    Infamous: Second Son
    Invizimals: The Alliance
    Invizimals: The Lost Kingdom
    Killzone: Mercenary
    Killzone: Shadow Fall
    Knack
    Puppeteer
    Tearaway
    The Last Guardian
    The Last of Us
    Until Dawn
    Warrior’s Lair
    Wonderbook: Diggs Nightcrawler


    I hope they have more than those. I already know I'll be playing Beyond: Two Souls, The Last of Us, and Killzone. I mean, we saw most of those at Sony's initial unveiling.. Not saying they're bad. On the contrary, I'll be playing most of them. However, I think if Sony comes out with over half of the games at their conference already announced, the momentum they've built will shift again.

    All that being said... I want Infamous soooo bad.

    Also, I can't wait to see what the big N does. Been playing the crap out of my 3ds as of late and would love more to play on it. Also been thinking about a wii u...
  • westsw said:
    So, a new list of Sony games for the conference has surfaced:

    Man, what a mixed bag. Some killer stuff, and some obvious kiddee shovelware. I don't think I was pining for two "invizimal" games. Not invizimal enough, as far as I see. Everquest jumps off the page, though. I hope to god to never fall down the MMO hole, I have enough addictions; but if Sony is really going to try to fight WoW or LoC by sneaking in the living room, that would be interesting. Probably gonna be kiddee crap, but u nevah no.



    Final Fantasy 14 is coming out in August so Sony is already down with the MMO's.

    There's not really much on that list that interests me, but I'll give almost anything a shot.

    I'd like to see what's become of The Last Guardian since they fell down a black hole for the past 2 years, and isn't Last Of Us out this week anyway?

    Where is the Yakuza 5 English release?
  • Dr Flibble said:
    Where is the Yakuza 5 English release?


    Right? Now THAT would turn some heads.

    Slixshot said:
    Also, I can't wait to see what the big N does. Been playing the crap out of my 3ds as of late and would love more to play on it. Also been thinking about a wii u...


    Same here. I'm actually really excited to see what news we get on X/Y along with Smash Bros.
  • I'm mostly interested in what Nintendo show. I think they're gonna smash it.
  • Looks like one of the announcements out of Microsoft might be a HD remake of the original Fable for the 360 - [video]
  • amardilo said:
    Looks like one of the announcements out of Microsoft might be a HD remake of the original Fable for the 360 - [video]


    I'd be okay with that. I still own the original Fable, and adored every minute of it.
  • amardilo said:
    Looks like one of the announcements out of Microsoft might be a HD remake of the original Fable for the 360 - [video]


    That'd be pretty cool. I never played the original, so I'd love to give it a go if I end up picking up a X1.

    FirLocke said:
    I'm mostly interested in what Nintendo show. I think they're gonna smash it.


    As much as I'm excited to see Sony and MS do their things up on stage, I'm actually really excited to see the Nintendo Direct they they have in store for us. Albeit mostly due to Pokemon and the new Smash Bros, but I love the attention that they're paying to the 3DS now.
  • DRUMMZ79 said:

    As much as I'm excited to see Sony and MS do their things up on stage, I'm actually really excited to see the Nintendo Direct they they have in store for us. Albeit mostly due to Pokemon and the new Smash Bros, but I love the attention that they're paying to the 3DS now.


    Nintendo said we won't see any Pokemon stuff live at E3 from what I remember. All Pokemon related stuff will be shown before E3.
  • Manio said:
    All Pokemon related stuff will be shown before E3.


    Yeah, that's what I mean! Haha. I'm just grouping it in there because of there lack of presentation.
  • This may come off as a bit fanboyish but I'm not really that excited for the X1. Only because I've only owned the console for about... 3 months and sold it to a friend due to me jumping on the ps3. Xbox 360 just didn't appeal to me.
    Though that B-K Grunty Land Logo, whether fake or not would REALLY tempt me. As of right now, I'm really excited for the Ps4 and Leaning towards Nintendo. I haven't gotten a chance to play much with the Wii U, and not many titles are out at the moment to make me buy another console. But with Pikmin 3, A new Super Smash Bros (Never owned a Smash bros game....), and a new zelda possibly? I may just buy the Wii U, but probably not til next year.

    The current list of Ps4 games hasn't really screamed out to me yet. I wasn't big on Infamous so not really excited for that, as for Beyond two souls. Don't really know much about the game, but saw a brief video which reminds me of Heavy Rain.

    Hoping that the vita gets more attention in 2014. right now its just collecting dust sadly :(...
  • SpaceOfSoul said:
    This may come off as a bit fanboyish but I'm not really that excited for the X1.


    Not at all man! You gave perfectly good reasons as to why the X1 doesn't appeal to you. Nothing wrong with that.
  • Hot DAMN am I excited for that new Castlevania.

    [video=youtube;M7Ujh-8iqiY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=M7Ujh-8iqiY[/video]
  • Slixshot said:
    Hot DAMN am I excited for that new Castlevania.

    [video=youtube;M7Ujh-8iqiY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=M7Ujh-8iqiY[/video]


    I know right? Juicy.
  • Looks like those guys played alot of Bayonetta before making this. Looks great, I am just saying I see some influence, and that is not a bad thing.
  • Wikipedia says LOS2 comes out in 2014, but my sources tell me this winter. I'm going to go with this winter.
  • westsw said:
    Looks like those guys played alot of Bayonetta before making this. Looks great, I am just saying I see some influence, and that is not a bad thing.


    Makes sense as to why I enjoyed the original so much then. Loved Bayonetta. Loved Lords of Shadow. :)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week