Xbox Reveal Discussion
  • [center]image[/center]

As you all know, Microsoft will be unveiling its system today, May 21st at 1pm EST. There have been a multitude of rumors swirling around this new console and today we're officially going to see what's included. I for one am very excited. It's been awhile since we've gotten new home consoles and I really think the new Xbox and PS4 can help get the gaming industry out of this slump we've been in.

I figured it'd be nice to have one place we can all come to and give our thoughts on what we expect to see, or what we don't want to see and then after it's all over we'll have a place to discuss what we saw. Can't wait to see what MS is going to hit us with and I can't wait to see what sort of discussion w're having once it's done and over with.

Personally I'm not expecting too much out of this conference. I'm thinking we MIGHT see the console itself, but I doubt we'll see a price (although I'd like to see one). I think that MS will focus more on entertainment in this press conference and hit the gamers at E3. I'd love to be wrong about that one and have them hit us gamers with an ass load of titles, but I know that MS is always focused on the entertainment side of things as well (which isn't always a bad thing).

All in all as long as I see the console, get a cool exclusive or two and get shown a few new features I'll be happy with this. What are you all looking forward to? The games? The console? The price?

[center]Date: May 21st, 2013
    Time: 1 pm EST / 10 am PDT
    Where: Spike TV, XBL Event Player and Xbox.com
    [/center]
  • The event will only be 1 hour and will unlikely have enough time to go as in-depth as the Sony press event.

I have a feeling the event will focus on the box and then show some 3rd party multiplatform titles as we already know Call of Duty: Ghosts will be there and I expect EA to show up too and show off some EA Sports titles like FIFA, Madden and maybe their new NBA title.

The other thing was that at Sony's event they came out and said they were focusing on games and it being a games console, but as much as I would want Microsoft to do the same this is unlikely as they seem to be very focused in that area.

However I have so many things I want (well more of a would like if it was somehow possible) for the next generation Xbox, so here is my wish list:
    Games
    • PGR 5
    • Forza Motorsport 5
    • Alan Wake 2
    • Crackdown 3 (with a new DX11 feature rich engine like CryEngine or UE4 and with more orb collecting and less zombie...ish combat)
    • Lost Odyssey 2
    • New Perfect Dark
    • Banjo-Threeie / Banjo-Kazooie 3
    • Viva Piñata 3 (I'd be OK with this having Kinect support)
    • Killer Instinct 3
    • New core gamer focused IP from first party studios like Rare and Lionhead
    • New XBLA games from the likes of Twisted Pixel
    • A new Scene It or 1 vs 100 style game show game would be good (a Kinect enabled version might be fun)

Hardware
    • Greater than 8GB RAM
    • 8 Core CPU
    • Graphics card greater than the AMD Radeon HD 7790 that can do more than 1.8 Teraflops
    • Upgraded Kinect with HD recording and decent camera and more closer 1:1 motion tracking
    • Full backwards compatability via a SoC which next gen games can use to get extra processing power or offload some tasks like physics.
    • Kinect bundled in and manditory so developers know it's there and can make better use of it
    • Blu-ray player
    • 7.1 audio
    • Mandatory disk drive (SSD or HDD) for game updates. Also allow for the drive to be easily upgraded or swapped in or out as I would buy more stuff if disk space was not an issue
    • Allow all games to stream to a tablet (any major tablet running iOS, Android or Windows 8) allowing you to play without a TV but you can still use a controller
    • HDMI 1.4b (not too fussed about the HDMI version but 1.4b adds 1080p video at 120Hz which might be nice and somewhat more future proof)
    • Only have HDCP on film/TV shows and not on games so external capture cards can take gameplay footage.

Software and Services
    • XBLA games, DLC and saved games transfer over easily to new system
    • Larger Cloud Storage space
    • More quicker loading and responsive dashboard
    • Allow for developers to self publish on XBLA/Digital Store
    • Simplified patching/updating
    • More variable pricing and let developers/publishers set prices
    • Day 1 digital downloads for retail games
    • Use Microsoft's Azure/Cloud infrastructure to allow all developers access to make use of dedicated servers that can be spun up and taken down without any work (also have a fall back that the games switch to the current P2P setup if the number of users is not that high)
    • Include a Netflix/Lovefilm like TV and Film streaming service as part of Xbox Live that works on all my devices and not just Microsoft products (I'm willing to pay a bit more monthly if they do this)
    • Include a Spotify like music streaming service as part of Xbox Live that works on all my devices and not just Microsoft products (I'm willing to pay a bit more monthly if they do this as it means I can drop existing music streaming subscriptions)
    • Do not remove existing functionality that's in the 360 (i.e. playback and streaming of local content)
    • Global stats, similar to achievements lists but each game has a set of stats that can compare your stats with other users (can be customised by the developer but can be viewed in the dashboard or via the web).
    • A way for developers and publishers to post game info and updates (not actual code updates) like they do on Facebook or Twitter. Community managers can post information, screenshots and video clips to keep users up to date with what's happening in a game
    • Built in way to stream gameplay (unrestricted) and commentary to services like Twitch and for Microsoft to implement their own version too
    • Built in way to record game clips and share them (would be great if you could easily share clips with your friends or upload help videos)
    • Better way to integrate communities and groups so they can create events (maybe also have a calendar or something)
  • Xbox One, what a gutless name, generic black box, same controller, same Kinect block, nobody should care anything about any of these things, but hey, they did show the shape of the box.

They are going all in on trying to make this thing the one-stop-shop for the TV. Snap mode looks neat, but in the end, I watch one thing at a time and can find them pretty damn fast. I wish they had expanded on the smart phone remote control, that seems like a no brainer. The social media trending stuff is of little importance to me. I don't care what teens like.

Specs sound very similar to PS4, but I know nothing of these things. New Kinect sounds neat, but we will see. Smart glass sounds like a good idea, but only if Android can play to. I am not buying a MS tablet or phone for this. I imagine Apple would rather set itself on fire than play along with being a remote control for somebody else's stuff.

The idea of doing stuff while matchmaking runs sounds like a great idea. MMO shooters will be coming to PS4 as well. EA shows stuff. I am not a sports gamer. Original content? Well we knew Forza, Halo and Gears were coming. Quantum Break trailer tells nothing, but 8 brand new franchises this year is a huge number. If MS really invests in 1st party IP, that would be a wonderful shift in philosophy. Potentially, this is the biggest new piece of information. Vague promises about interactive TV lead to Halo, a TV show Halo. Spielberg produces a lot of shows, of varying quality. He ain't directing, he is just owns the company making it.

NFL big finish. I love NFL. I don't do fantasy. Clearly they are trying to make Xbox One mandatory for fantasy football. No promises on content deals. Timed exclusives on Call of Duty DLC, some things never change.

Overall, we knew they had to do specs (look similar, but I know nothing) and new Kinect (lots of promises, and we will see.) They did show the box, but no date and no price. Xbox wants to be the one stop remote, but no deals on content. Maybe voice controls and snap on mode will be a bigger deal that I think right now. Pushing a couple of buttons to watch what I like does not seem too onerous. I thought they might try to be a DVR, but no dice. The NFL deal sounds like fantasy league stuff. Man, I wish they had some deal on content. That was the biggest let down for me. Also, they did not answer that "always on" question, but it felt like the thing always had to be connected. Maybe E3 will be more exciting.
  • No surprise that gamer-centric consoles are dying, dying, dead, but fees to play used/secondhand games is still probably a killer in some areas, particularly in East Asian markets (although MS never showed much interest there, anyways).

From my desires as a consumer (no interest in TV, watch Netflix on my PC) the Xbox One has not an iota of interest on my end. Who knows. Like westsw, I expected more content. A one stop box is not a rare thing these days. Roku, Apple TV, Google at some point, Steam at some point. This would have been pretty cool like 2-4 years ago. Now it's almost a dime-a-dozen type of system, it just happens to be more expensive.
  • At-least our gamerscore gets to carry over, right?
  • Haha so much negativity. It's sad that the gaming community has come to this. A bunch of bitchy gamers who think they're entitled to way more than they are. People don't realize that this was the CONSOLE announcement. The games weren't meant to be the focus here. We were being introduced to the console itself, not just one side of it.

The games will come at E3, I promise. Why waste our time as gamers with multimedia crap when that time could be used for showing us upcoming games. We all knew this is the route MS would take, so why use your energy to bitch about it? Did you really think MS would roll out 34 exclusive titles today? Be honest with yourself. Those who set their expectations too high for an hour long presentation just make me shake my head.

Erm......I dunno about you guys but that doesn't exactly look modern to me. It kind of gives me the feeling that the 'One' (terrible name) wants to stand out as much as a DVD player.

Nobody seems to be impressed by Microsoft's presentation - as it doesn't seem like much actually happened - so I'll wait 'till E3 until I actually take notice of what the thing can do.
  • I was only interested in the games, and the online distro (nice to see xblas transfer) I don't mind the shape. And the always ready kinect stuff doesn't bother me b/c my systems are unplugged when I'm not using them anyway. But it is nice to know the specs and I'm pumped to see some games. I'm cautiously optimistic. I really want import downloadable games, I really don't care if its from Sony or MS, but I'll have to wait and see I guess.

edit: Or not! on the xbla games then. http://www.joystiq.com/2013/05/21/xbox-one-not-backwards-compatible-with-360-discs-xbla-purchases/
  • I'm massively sceptical about that 15 exclusives/8 new IPs within the first year claim. Not buying it, unless 75% of them are Kinect shovelware or smaller XBLA download titles. Have to wait and see what they bring out at E3.
  • raskit said:
    I'm massively sceptical about that 15 exclusives/8 new IPs within the first year claim.

Same here. Very iffy on this claim. I guess we'll have to wait till E3 to see what's going on?

EDIT: And just for clarification, the comments I made in my earlier post aren't directed at any of you guys! Haha just the masses on Twitter and such. Sorry for that!
  • raskit said:
    I'm massively sceptical about that 15 exclusives/8 new IPs within the first year claim. Not buying it, unless 75% of them are Kinect shovelware or smaller XBLA download titles. Have to wait and see what they bring out at E3.

What that sounds like to me is probably 5 console/core, 5 Kinect, 5 XBLA. There was a Crackdown orb on one of the tiles on the dash, so I wouldn't be surprised for them to try and do a Crackdown 3 as one of those 7 sequels, and maybe a new Geometry Wars. We also already know that Forza 5 is coming and exclusive. Since they're bundling Kinect now though, I'll be pretty surprised if they have fewer than four games where Kinect functionality is a focus. New IPs are a lot easier to spin on XBLA than full blown retail games, so I wouldn't be surprised to find that 8 somewhat bloated with XBLA titles (which is fine really, just not as impressive).

Seemed like most of the press conference was about things that won't work if you don't live in the US: TV, movies, music, ESPN, etc, and it's not too surprising considering how most of the Xbox Live Gold benefits were for apps a lot of us can't even use. I'm tired of paying for gold at this point, and even if I was able to use the apps I still believe it to be an inferior service to Playstation+. There was also a big focus on Kinect, which while unsurprising, is entirely antithetical to what I want from that console. Unless Microsoft really nails it with games at E3, I'll definitely be picking up a PS4 way before I get an X1.

Edit: It's been confirmed that those new triggers are rumble only, not force feeback. The one thing I was excited for, gone!
  • Had the same feeling Drum, I didn't expect to much talk about games with E3 so close.

I have $200 worth of Microsoft gift cards just waiting for the system to be released.
  • Man you guys are bumming me out on the new IPs. I had real hope that MS would really invest in games, not just acting like timed exclusives mattered to adults.

Beyond super fancy remote stuff, there was not much to differ it from PS4. Such a bummer DL games won't transfer in either system. We will see if they are both going to be dicks about used games. Obviously, both will keep scores/trophies, that is just free addiction that matters more than I would like to admit.

I hope E3 is better. They did not do anything to drag me off PS4. PSplus has quietly turned into a crazy value. Free pinball and kyntt tonight, Sleeping Dogs last week. The only downside is I can't buy dishonored, for fear that it is coming.
  • Just got word that there won't be any fees for the used game debacle that's going down, and used games will be allowed. Little hazy on that though.
  • This dude doesn't seem too happy :p

[video=youtube;9ekOtn7L1N0]
  • Stupid Name, Ugly looking console, no games :/ not suprised Sony's stock just had an increase
  • Squall-lionheart16 said:
    Stupid Name, Ugly looking console, no games :/ not suprised Sony's stock just had an increase

It's a console reveal. Nobody should of expected to see many games. That's what E3 is for.
  • Manio said:
    Just got word that there won't be any fees for the used game debacle that's going down, and used games will be allowed. Little hazy on that though.

Here's basically the simple rundown:

1) If you buy a used game, you will be paying a fee.
    2) If you bring a game over to a friend's house, you can sign in to your profile on their console and avoid any fees. If they want to use their profile, there will be a fee required.

For simple matter, think of it like this. If the game is being used on a profile different from the previous profile, there will be a fee (which covers all used games).

What we don't know is how much the fee will be, but assuming Microsoft doesn't want people swapping games back and forth and installing them, it'll have to be fairly large, like $20 or more.
  • Manio said:
    It's a console reveal. Nobody should of expected to see many games. That's what E3 is for.

I think that's what a lot of people aren't understanding. Personally I didn't expect to see ANY games, so the fact that we saw what we did impressed me. I also really like what I'm seeing from the new Kinect.

This is how I look at it: During E3 there's always that first half hour to an hour that's so boring and we're sitting there yelling at our MS to get to the games. I believe that this press conference eliminated that and this year at E3 we're going to be getting hit with games left and right.
  • I don't mind the name Xbox One. It sounds OK to me and I like the shorthand Xbone.

Looks like the PS4 or PC maybe the better bet for multiplatform games as they will have more hardware power and the PS4 probably wont have as bloated an OS a virtualization layer as a go between the hardware and OS.

AnandTech has a pretty good break down comparing the PS4 and Xbox One (some of it is still going by rumours) - http://www.anandtech.com/show/6972/xbox-one-hardware-compared-to-playstation-4

Engadget also has a good video showing how the Xbox System on a Chip (SoC) was built, the only thing I found to be a bit of a downer was that at around the 5:40 mark they mention they went for a more broad entertainment option rather than more graphics power - http://www.engadget.com/2013/05/21/building-xbox-one-an-inside-look/
  • GoodEnoughForMe said:
    What we don't know is how much the fee will be, but assuming Microsoft doesn't want people swapping games back and forth and installing them, it'll have to be fairly large, like $20 or more.

It seems likely that it would be the full retail price, if not very close to it. Otherwise, group buying would become a thing, where someone at a school or workplace would buy the game upfront, take a little off the top from whoever they lend the disk out to since that person would get such a big discount, and repeat. I don't see how it could be any more than about $5 off the ERP.
  • Heh, used games being more expensive than new games would be crazy.

The movie industry and music industry are probably wondering how they didn't get such suckers for general consumers. Imagine if they tried to pull something like this.
  • Twenty bucks as a used game "tariff" will just kill that market. That is doubling or tripling the price. Gamestop will just die. Mom and Pop used games will die. I don't know if that will be the price point. I wonder what Sony will do? They care a lot more about the global market. Would the fine people of Nippon put up with this for an instant? Capitalism is often NOT market based, often "competitors" have every reason to just cheat and set prices. For that reason, I would think Sony would just go along and make money. However, in the unlikely event that MS charges twenty bucks for used games and Sony does not, who in their right mind would go with MS? I don't see that happening.

Is Valve showing the SteamBox at E3? With both Sony and MS getting ever more PC like, it makes you wonder if Valve could just walk up and eat someone's lunch.
  • Via Softpedia:

"The Microsoft executive mentioned to Kotaku in a discussion about the used games fee that, in the case of a newly released title, the fee will consist of the game's current price.

As a result, buying a used copy no longer makes sense as Xbox One owners will still have to pay the same amount of money, not less as they do on the Xbox 360."

Pffftt hahaha. Nothing to do but laugh at this point. Part of the continuing trend in electronics. You don't own what you buy, the company still does. Fun stuff.

I wouldn't be surprised if Sony does this, too. Have to imagine the publishers want it. Makes sense why EA would drop their entire online pass program.
  • This could have been a good video. It's a shame that Microsoft don't want to answer questions and dance around them instead!

[video=youtube;Y508_rXPogQ]

Here's another letdown with the One:

"In contrast to Sony with its PlayStation Store, Nintendo with its eShop and Valve with Steam, Microsoft won't let independent developers self-publish on Xbox One.

Instead, they must seek a publishing deal either with Microsoft itself or a third-party - as is the case with Xbox 360 and Xbox Live Arcade currently."

They've really screwed up this reveal. Sure, they showed us all of the features that the One can do, but those features are already serviced by other devices. A lot of people already have those devices too. Heck, even the PS3 can do most of the features that the One can do bar the cable TV stuff! And that console actually had the number the 3 in its title because it was the third PlayStation, unlike this Xbox!

They should have shown some games. It doesn't matter if we shouldn't have expected to see games at the reveal because they have failed to garner any interest in their console with what they've shown. And hey, guess what people get consoles for? The games.
  • GoodEnoughForMe said:
    I wouldn't be surprised if Sony does this, too. Have to imagine the publishers want it. Makes sense why EA would drop their entire online pass program.

If this is true, I can almost guarantee that Sony does it as well. Video games are going down a dark path when it comes to the used game market. Has anyone heard anything about prices for games lately? I've heard they might see a $10 increase? It's getting hard for me to justify buying any video game at 70 USD....

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week