Explain your Avatar/Signature!
  • We're a small enough community that I barely need to read the names at the side of people's posts these days, I can glance across at the avatar under the name, or down at the signature and know whose post I'm reading instantly. Heck, I can recognise half of you from your writing style, but that's another topic!

Some of us are brave enough to put our own faces out there, some of us like to chop and change forum sig/avatar at the drop of a hat (which really plays havoc with my recognition of who it is that's posting (curse you Manio! ;) )), some of us have been using the same ones for years and will use the same images across multiple social media channels*.

What that doesn't tell me though, is why that person has chosen that particular image, or logo, or slogan to represent themselves online. So fess up. What's the story behind your forum avatar and signature?

* - Eugh, I just sounded like some kind of awful marketing robot for a second there.
  • For the longest time I used to have this blue devil horns avatar that I really liked but one day I decided I really wanted a character or person to use as an avatar. Thinking of who to pick took longer then I'd have liked, I don't have a favourite video game character, I don't have a favourite wrestler........ but I do have a favourite super-hero! I used a handful of Thor avatars until one day I was looking at Thor pics and I saw one that made me mentally say "Hey! That pic of Thor is fat like me!" I've used it ever since and have yet to find anything I want to use more, though I feel it's probably as close to perfect as I'm gonna get.

My sig is Chickey Cantor from Super Monday Night Combat, a game I really used to love almost a year ago now but stopped playing. It's a giant cyborg chicken you could attack for money and a buff, the most efficient way to kill it was to ride it like a rodeo bull, it was really awesome. It was really meant to only be a placeholder sig but I both really liked it and I kinda fell out of love with flashy sigs.

[youtube]Ny2Y2ePuQXU[/youtube]
  • right about the time i got really involved here i was at a social site and someone asked everyone to show something precious that you show off. i have lots of collectibles but most are in card books or in the attic. but i did have a painting hanging that i got from the blue man group at one of their shows. so since i had just took the pic for that site and wanted a new pic for this site i threw it up here also. the sig was made by a member here im sure someone will correct me if im wrong but i think it was slixshot. whenever i do a sig it is always to big or small so i just leave that one up because its a good size and i like the way it looks.
  • I found my avatar many years ago, it was inspired by the Evil Snowman from Clayfighters. I've done recent searches the past few years on and off, to find the source, but I can't seem to find it anywhere. I have no idea where I got it, or who drew it.

But this is the avatar that I use for all of the things. Too bad you can't put custom avatars on 360/PS3. :/
  • Chip said:
    I used a handful of Thor avatars until one day I was looking at Thor pics and I saw one that made me mentally say "Hey! That pic of Thor is fat like me!" I've used it ever since and have yet to find anything I want to use more, though I feel it's probably as close to perfect as I'm gonna get.

It's funny, I know next to nothing about any kind of comic, but I knew Thor as soon as I saw him, even a fat version! I'd always assumed your sig was from SMNC too, good to know for sure!

gilligan said:
    but i did have a painting hanging that i got from the blue man group at one of their shows.

Ha ha, I'd always thought it was something from paintballing, so I guess I wasn't a million miles off.

vampirelich said:
    Too bad you can't put custom avatars on 360/PS3. :/

True.

I never explained mine, did I? It's taken from Chris Ware's Quimby the Mouse which I'd read and loved a couple of years before I discovered Noobtoob. I think I'd saved a copy of the picture to use in something to do with the band I was in at the time and then when I needed an avatar for Noobtoob I just quickly looked on my computer and found the image that needed the least resizing or cropping. I kept with it because I love the sadness and hope in Quimby, he's always there next to stuff I've written, always stretching for something he'll never reach.

As for my sig, I'd always done without one for years, then when we got the new site a couple of years back I thought I'd give it a go to make my own. I had a Demon Souls one for a while, one with lyrics from The Sword on it and even toyed with the idea of one that was supposed to look like a communist revolutionary poster with the old quote "I disagree with what you say but will defend to the death your right to say it" for back when a certain prolific, unpopular member was getting everyone all punchy and people were asking the Mods to do more moderating, but I couldn't see where anyone was breaking any rules...

Then I made this one with lyrics from the Elbow song Fugitive Motel, and I thought it summed up so much about how wrong my priorities are sometimes, I thought I'd stick with it.
  • Well for me, I have an avatar of the late Japanese music artist Nujabes.

I discovered his music through a random Maplestory video and when I heard his music it just instantly clicked with me. I wanted more, I wanted a lot more and boy did he have a lot more. I guess you could call his music hip hop, but it feels like a lot of things really. He features a fair bit of rap in his music and I generally don't like rap, but I make an exception for this guy. I showed his music to a friend of mine and he decided to draw a picture of the guy, which is now hanging up in my room. It isn't my avatar, I just really like this avatar. Nujabes, I think is the one artist who I can always come back and listen to. No other music artists' music am I as comfortable with.

His real name is Jun Seba, and this video contains a whole album of his, but he has plenty more. The first song, Feather, was the first song I'd ever heard from Nujabes. Just put this on in the background, enjoy.

[video=youtube;WrO9PTpuSSs]

As for my signature, that picture was used in a video of one my favourite Nujabes songs: Lady Brown. It's actually a bit of graffiti in Toulouse, France.

[video=youtube;5powxvY5YfE]

Excuse the explicit lyrics of Lady Brown. :)
  • Well mine is frome a gatchpon flyer for the action strategy game
    Valkeria Chronicles
  • I got mine from the standard PSN Avatar's they let you you use. I liked the look of it a lot, and decided to go with it. It's now grown to everything I use for anything Crimson related I use online!

No real reason for liking it so much. I don't have an obsession with cats or anything.
  • gilligan said:
    the sig was made by a member here im sure someone will correct me if im wrong but i think it was slixshot.

It was Plastictree. Not sure why I remember that but whatever.

My avatar has Giorno Giovanna on it. He is the main protagonist of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure's 5th arc: Vento Aureo. I read the manga recently , which took a long f'ing while, and I loved every page of it. I suggest reading it if you have the time or better yet watch the new ongoing anime.
    Also, the upcoming game (Jojo's Bizarre Adventure All Star Battle) is probably my most anticipated game of the year. I mean...LOOK AT THIS SHIT!!!!
    [video=youtube;HbdgjePSY0o]

I watched that trailer 100 times already and it still gets me hyped!

and my sig is for Darksiders 2 (R.I.P).

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week