No Price Cut For The Wii U
  • Satoru Iwata announced that Nintendo has no plans for a Wii U price cut. Now right now I don't think that hurts Nintendo, due to it being the "new thing", but I don't think the future holds too much sunshine once Sony and Microsoft announce and release their consoles. I just can't seeing gamers justifying making the jump to the Wii U, knowing that it's just as powerful as the console they own.

It's just my opinion, but when I upgrade, I want my new console to be a workhorse, I want it to make my old console look foolish. Like I said before, this is just MY opinion and I know that there are a lot more out there and hell, there's probably another opinion out there who's is better than mine, but I'd love to hear all of your views on it!

(Here's the link to the article: http://www.businessweek.com/ap/2013-01-30/nintendo-chief-rules-out-price-cuts-for-wii-u )
  • I agree Nintendo don't have a chance when newer more powerful console come into the market later in the year. I can easily see a price cut for the holiday season.

Nintendo also need to play on this dual screen gimmick they have going bring in some of the mass market ds games. Make them HD advertise to the housewives and grans again. Brain training would be a massive boost for them in sales I expect it would pull that market right in to the WiiU.
  • nutta27 said:
    Nintendo also need to play on this dual screen gimmick they have going...

I completely agree. I think this should be the driving point for the Wii U. I would focus on finding unique ways to use the Wii U game pad other than the traditional "play while someone watches TV" approach, although I do like that aspect.

And c'mon people! Let's get the discussion going! We need to get these forums kicking again. It's sad to see where NT is going...
  • DRUMMZ79 said:
    I completely agree. I think this should be the driving point for the Wii U. I would focus on finding unique ways to use the Wii U game pad other than the traditional "play while someone watches TV" approach, although I do like that aspect.

And c'mon people! Let's get the discussion going! We need to get these forums kicking again. It's sad to see where NT is going...

sure get the site going, but there isnt much here, the thing just came out so there would be no need to lower prices unless they arent selling any.
  • gilligan said:
    sure get the site going, but there isnt much here, the thing just came out so there would be no need to lower prices unless they arent selling any.

I didn't mean just on this post in particular. This site as a whole is slowing down to a crawl and I really hate to see that. I apologize for trying to start a conversation.
  • DRUMMZ79 said:
    I didn't mean just on this post in particular. This site as a whole is slowing down to a crawl and I really hate to see that. I apologize for trying to start a conversation.

apology accepted,personally i dont have money for new games right now so i have nothing new to add. i just went back to mass effect 3 so who needs a new console anyway.
  • But the Wii U isn't selling well at all if I recall correctly.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/01/nintendo-cuts-wii-u-sales-projections/
  • gilligan said:
    apology accepted,personally i dont have money for new games right now so i have nothing new to add. i just went back to mass effect 3 so who needs a new console anyway.

It's really cute how much of an ass you're trying to be, but honestly, you're just falling on your face and coming off stupid.

Back on topic though...

Yeah Manio, I had read am article just like this one somewhere. As a gamer I don't want to see consoles drop below what the company's expecting them to sell. If we can have 3 different consoles selling great, with great titles, then that would be the perfect situation for the gaming community.

I really hope the Wii U picks up it's sales and releases some strong titles soon. I like the idea of the Wii U, I don't want to see it go under before the other two consoles even drop.
  • gilligan said:
    i just went back to mass effect 3 so who needs a new console anyway.

Everybody. Console games look pitiful in comparison to their PC counter-part nowadays, and this isn't PC gamer snobishness..... well, maybe a little but the differences are huge. I booted up Borderlands 2 on my PC, loaded it up on 360 and it felt like an entire generation of difference comparing the two.

In terms of the Wii U, Nintendo's balloon had to pop sometime, I feel that time is now. Now I'm not saying the Wii U is gonna be a failure it just won't achieve anywhere near the success the Wii had.
  • Chip said:
    Everybody. Console games look pitiful in comparison to their PC counter-part nowadays, and this isn't PC gamer snobishness..... well, maybe a little but the differences are huge. I booted up Borderlands 2 on my PC, loaded it up on 360 and it felt like an entire generation of difference comparing the two.

In terms of the Wii U, Nintendo's balloon had to pop sometime, I feel that time is now. Now I'm not saying the Wii U is gonna be a failure it just won't achieve anywhere near the success the Wii had.

I don't think we were debating whether or not console gaming is better than PC gaming. No one had even brought up anything about PC gaming. Of course it's going to look nicer, it's easier to update the hardware of a PC than it is to update the hardware of a console. I honestly don't think it's a fair comparison.

For me, it's more about the community when it comes to my decision on what to game on. My friends are all console gamers, so I stick to it as well. I know that PC gaming is head and shoulders better in the graphics department, but if I can play a game with my group of friends, it'll make any game 100x better.
  • DRUMMZ79 said:
    I don't think we were debating whether or not console gaming is better than PC gaming. No one had even brought up anything about PC gaming.

Well, Gilligan asked who needed new consoles which is honestly everyone at this point. This gen has been unusually long and it's really easy to see how much games are being held back by the old hardware of the current gen of consoles.
  • I don't know that I'd say new consoles are a MUST, but they would be nice. Great games can still be made on the current gen, yet I know there are gamers whose sole purpose in choosing games is how nice the graphics are.

I'd honestly be fine with the current gen for about another year, or so. How long was the PS2's life cycle? Wasn't that about the same as we have for the 360 and PS3? I seem to remember it being close at least.

SEE? This is what I was talking about! Discussion about gaming, topics not going a week and a half without getting any activity on them! These are the kind of discussions I love to be a part of.
  • I was hoping for a price cut would be announced before the other systems came out.
  • Ligerzero said:
    I was hoping for a price cut would be announced before the other systems came out.

For Nintendo's sake I hope they do announce one. I honestly think their sales will plummet further once the next gen consoles are officially announce and available for pre-order.
  • DRUMMZ79 said:
    I'd honestly be fine with the current gen for about another year, or so. How long was the PS2's life cycle? Wasn't that about the same as we have for the 360 and PS3? I seem to remember it being close at least.

PS2's was six years inbetween its's release and the PS3s release, the current gen of hardware is going on eight years now.
  • Chip said:
    PS2's was six years inbetween its's release and the PS3s release, the current gen of hardware is going on eight years now.

Meh. Two years isn't that big of a gap. We've had great games come out in the past two years. I know more could have been added to these games on a next-gen console, but it is what it is.
  • As far as price goes, Nintendo won't announce any cuts unless Microsoft and Sony's consoles are going to be in their price range. Meaning if I can buy a PS4 for the same price as the Wii U, then Nintendo fucked up. One of the reasons the Wii was so successful was not only its controller inovation, but also IT WAS CHEAP. You didn't feel like it was really hurting your wallet to get the Wii, but that $600 PS3, well that's a fucking investment, something most wouldn't just buy on a whim.
  • jermz678 said:
    ...but that $600 PS3, well that's a fucking investment, something most wouldn't just buy on a whim.

I agree with ya on this one. That's the only reason I'm dreading the announcement of Sony and Microsoft's new consoles. I know I'm not going to get my hands on them for under $400-$600 and as a college student, that money doesn't come too easy.
  • Microsoft is using that "spend a 100 bucks today and have a xbox 360, and then 15 dollars a year for two years for xbox live gold" model that actually seems to be doing really well. I would not be surprised at all if they kept that option available for their next console, and maybe charge 200 up front and then 15 dollar monthly payments. Its a great way to get people to drop easy money, and $15 a month is reasonable for most.

Sony, they have to control their price. They need to blow people away with what their system can do, and then blow them away again that they can get it for $399. No monthly fees, just a good price for a great product.

Do you guys think that each new console will have multiple skus? Like, a basic model, a deluxe model, etc? I honestly hope not.
  • jermz678 said:
    Do you guys think that each new console will have multiple skus? Like, a basic model, a deluxe model, etc? I honestly hope not.

I don't see Sony doing it. I see them more of a company to say, "Here's our system, it's expensive, but powerful", whereas Microsoft is more of a company to say, "Our product can cater to you. Pick the option that supports your needs as a gamer/entertainment device."
  • DRUMMZ79 said:
    SEE? This is what I was talking about! Discussion about gaming, topics not going a week and a half without getting any activity on them! These are the kind of discussions I love to be a part of.

Not to be rude, but people do have other things to do other than browse the forums every minute of their lives.
    I hope I am not causing any offense. I wish I could be more active in the forums, and I do look every now and then.
    The majority of the community here is well over 20 years of age which means most of us are either in school or have a family and a full time job. It leaves very little room to associate with the online community.

And as for hardware. The graphics are just a little bit of icing on top for me. The Wii has some ok looking games, but its the gameplay and storyline I focus more on. If it looks pretty, then Fantastic! It just makes the overall experience more enjoyable. I cant really see how more realistic a game can look. some games already look a bit too real for me and its bombarded with environments that I feel a bit... lost?
    I felt this way with uncharted. Though it isn't exactly as realistic if I go back to it now, but when I first played it and noticed some of the trophies that required me to obtain hidden treasures/artifacts. I felt overwhelmed because the amount of detail thats put into the environment makes it difficult to spot things.
    I know thats a really low blow to not like a game, but its a bit too much. I guess I am just so used to playing cutesy anime styled rpgs that when I made a jump to a more "cinematic" experience, I guess it was just a bit too new for me.

Now, honestly I don't see anything of interest as of lately to push me to buy a Wii U. I've been tempted to buy a Vita since there was a game released known as DjMax Technika Tune, which I am a HUGE fan of the series. But one game alone isn't cutting it for me. plus right now I am in huge debt. I dropped all my classes this year to pay off my debt so I am constantly working 40+ hour weeks. So hopefully when I pay off my debt I'll look into a vita, and MAYBE the Wii U.

Games for the Wii U I am most excited for would probably be Pikmin 3 and Super Smash brothers (which we all know there will be one, since there has been one for every generation of Nintendos home consoles)
  • SpaceOfSoul said:
    Not to be rude, but people do have other things to do other than browse the forums every minute of their lives.
    I hope I am not causing any offense. I wish I could be more active in the forums, and I do look every now and then.
    The majority of the community here is well over 20 years of age which means most of us are either in school or have a family and a full time job. It leaves very little room to associate with the online community.

How old do you think I am? I'm 20 years old. I'm a full time student at a university and I'm a photographer/journalist on the side. You don't think I know about not having time. Posting your thoughts on a topic takes 3 minutes out of your day. I never mentioned anything about being on here all day, every day. Seeing posts going a week or more without a response, or just a single one, is just sad.
  • DRUMMZ79 said:
    How old do you think I am? I'm 20 years old. I'm a full time student at a university and I'm a photographer/journalist on the side. You don't think I know about not having time. Posting your thoughts on a topic takes 3 minutes out of your day. I never mentioned anything about being on here all day, every day. Seeing posts going a week or more without a response, or just a single one, is just sad.

1. I did not say you were younger than the said age.
    2. I never stated anything that you in particular spending your whole day on the forums. I stated that people have other things to do than browse the forums every minute of their lives. Never did I single you out in the community.

I'm not trying to be hostile. I'm merely pointing out that posting on the forums or checking on the forums isn't on everybodies mind. Yes it takes three minutes, but those three minutes show that one has free time. Time to sit down and browse the Internet. You stated you are a journalist. Meaning you spend some time editing on your computer, am I right? Now I'm not saying you have loads of free time since I have no idea how heavy the material you write is. Not to mention you are also a student, which of course requires you to be on the computer. You are bound to procrastinate for a few minutes, I know I did.

But as I mentioned before, people are busy and when they have time to respond or if they want to respond, they will. The Noobtoob community has died down a bit since tobin and yuzo stopped their weekly podcasts. It was to be expected to see the community die. At least be happy that there are a few people still at bay with the forums.

When I get off at work, noobtoob isn't the first thing that comes to mind. It's probably to eat, get settled (shower, get comfy etc) and then comes my game time. Which is heavily console based. It is rare to see me on my pc.

As I said.. Not every one has noobtoob come up in there heads. Please don't take this as a hostile response. I'm just trying to explain the situation.

Now lets stop the conversation here, if you wish to discuss this further please pm me. You created a topic for the sole purpose of receiving opinions on the subject matter. So I apologize to have derailed from the topic.
  • SpaceOfSoul said:
    As I said.. Not every one has noobtoob come up in there heads. Please don't take this as a hostile response. I'm just trying to explain the situation.

Now lets stop the conversation here, if you wish to discuss this further please pm me. You created a topic for the sole purpose of receiving opinions on the subject matter. So I apologize to have derailed from the topic.

Haha it's all good. I admit to overreacting. We're all NoobToobers, we shouldn't be arguing anyways.

Back on topic though. With Sony announcing their new console on the 20th of this month, I think this will only bring bad things for Nintendo.
  • DRUMMZ79 said:
    It's really cute how much of an ass you're trying to be, but honestly, you're just falling on your face and coming off stupid.

Back on topic though...

Yeah Manio, I had read am article just like this one somewhere. As a gamer I don't want to see consoles drop below what the company's expecting them to sell. If we can have 3 different consoles selling great, with great titles, then that would be the perfect situation for the gaming community.

I really hope the Wii U picks up it's sales and releases some strong titles soon. I like the idea of the Wii U, I don't want to see it go under before the other two consoles even drop.

i did nothing but respond to your crying comment, if i fell then you plunged.

and i stand by my comment that a new system isnt needed, the only thing that would be worth adding to me is better motion controls and maybe voice activation.
  • I still can't justify putting anything towards a Wii U. I'm not being biased either.

I actually got my hands on the console and was heavily disappointed, and turned off. I thought the tablet felt really uncomfortable in my hands, but I'm probably in the minority there. I'd like to support Nintendo, and their console but my issues are with their selection of games mainly Mario, and Zelda have gotten a little boring with every iteration. Truly, the last Zelda game I actually had fun with was Wind Waker, and the remake they're doing still doesn't pique my interest.

As for Mario, I dabbled with the new game a little. Again, didn't enjoy it. I think the last Mario game I truly enjoyed was Super Mario Sunshine. The only two games that have caught my attention are ZombiU, and Pikmin 3. But in all honesty, I'd like some more, better exclusives for their console.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week