Pokemon X & Y Official News Thread
  • [CENTER]image
    [/CENTER]

Nintendo and The Pokemon Company have confirmed the next generation of Pokemon videogames, Pokemon X and Pokemon Y, will launch in October for the Nintendo 3DS. The existence of the two games which will share the same plot but contain unique (but tradeable) Pokemon was earlier announced by Nintendo President Satoru Iwata via Nintendo Direct.
    Pokemon X and Y are set to feature new pokemon, a new storyline and ‘dynamic’ battles; though perhaps of most interest to fans is that the Pokemon world has been redesigned in 3D – a first for the franchise. As you well suspect the titles will also be accompanied by an array of new cartoons and toys.
    Tsunekazu Ishihara, CEO of The Pokemon Company, confirmed that the worldwide launch of Pokemon X and Pokemon Y ‘allows players to begin their adventures at the same time.’ Adding that ‘Pokemon fans across the globe can discover the secrets of Pokemon games and can collect, battle, and trade with each other immediately.’
    Elsewhere, Junichi Masuda, video game director at Game Freak (the developer that created the Pokemon series) added the following: ‘We brought Pokemon into an entirely new dimension and we’re incredibly excited to bring Pokemon X and Pokemon Y to fans. The stunning visuals, a completely redesigned environment, game scenario, music, and communication features will bring smiles to the faces of players around the world.’
    While Pokemon fans will no doubt welcome the news, it seems there’s still no sign of a home console version of the popular role-playing game. Something all the more puzzling given the presence of such a title on Wii U would surely swell sales of the recently released console.
    Take a look at the announcement trailer and let us know your thoughts.

Source: http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/gaming/nintendo-announces-pokemon-x-and-y-for-3ds-8443124.html
    ----
    What do you guys think? Is this a step in the right direction for Pokemon? I'm also liking the look of the new starters.

[CENTER]image
    [/CENTER]

I've never been excited/this curious about a Pokemon game before, so this could mean something.

I don't know about anyone else but I'm really intrigued by this. Plus, it looks like the 3DS has dropped a fair bit in price (I think) and I may finally have been pushed to pick one up. Here's the announcement trailer that shows off the new visual style.

[CENTER][youtube]4bIrWryFc7A[/youtube]
    [/CENTER]
  • I haven't played a Pokemon game since red/ blue at one point I was really intrigued about the games again and wanted to check one out but that interest passed. I wonder now am I too old for Pokemon? Will I just find the game to be a mediocre child's turn based rpg?
  • Yes!!!!!!!! I can't wait the 3ds graphics look great, the starters are looking good. You're never too old for pokemon, 21 here and I still screamed like a girl when I watch the vid.
  • Really glad to see the grass starters finally step away from being reptile-like. The three of them all look interesting but I'll most likely be diving into using Chespin.

Edit: There's also been speculation of character customization as we see the character looking in the mirror somewhere during the announcement trailer. If this is true, and us players can customize our trainer I feel that as a huge plus and another step forward in the Pokemon franchise.

If this speculation is indeed true, how would you guys feel about that?

[center]
    image[/center]

Here's the said image. What do you guys think?
  • This looks really interesting and I would like to play it how ever I'm not sure I want to go and get a 3DS just for this game.
  • You have plenty of time to look for deals. By October you might be able to get a 3ds for about $100.
  • Off topic, but I made a cool title bar for this thread :3
    ---
    Apparently some of the evolutions have been leaked for the starters.

[CENTER]image[/CENTER]
  • Ligerzero said:
    You have plenty of time to look for deals. By October you might be able to get a 3ds for about $100.

I know, but it just feels kind of silly to spend $100+ for just one game. I really have no interest in anything else the 3DS has to offer.
  • The starters look kinda lame, but at least the Water starter has a sick moustache.
  • DarkAssassin236 said:
    I know, but it just feels kind of silly to spend $100+ for just one game. I really have no interest in anything else the 3DS has to offer.

That's to bad nothing else interests you.
  • An interesting theory dropped about the titles of the games.

At first look, the titles for the new Pokémon, Pocket Monsters X and Pocket Monsters Y, sound like its creators are out of ideas. They sound like a joke—no wonder why they were perhaps suggested as such in 2008. But dig a little deeper (way deeper!), and things get interesting. What if X and Y referred to biology? This could be a stretch by excited fans, sure, but as noted on Tumblr site Turnip's Tumbles, the new legendary Pokémon could explain the titles:
    Xerneas and Yveltal look very organic.
    Xerneas represents a Neuron, Yveltal represents Muscles and Blood.
    That means 2 of the 3 germ layers are covered.
    Almost all animals develop out of 3 layers.
    The third missing layer is the Endoderm.
    The third legendary will represent the Endoderm.
    This is some seriously deep and geeky theorizing, which is nothing new to Pokémon games (remember that Ground Zero theory in Pokémon Black/White?). This latest theory also makes sense! Have a look at this image

Source: http://kotaku.com/5975396/this-nerdy-explanation-for-pokmon-xy-might-blow-your-mind

So, what do you guys think? I'd have to agree with some of the comments on the Kotaku article I pulled this from, I think the X & Y just refers to the axis of the games since they took a 3D approach.

[CENTER]
    [/CENTER]
  • Z would make sense as X, Y and Z axis represent the 3D effects of the 3D effects of the new games... I'll probably start with Chespin if I decide on actually getting the games. B/W and B/W 2 felt lackluster and I hope the battles will get more intrigues to make it much more fun. It seemed I could just 1hko every enemy in the last two games making it feel like I was just "hitting A to win"...

Manio said:
    Really glad to see the grass starters finally step away from being reptile-like. The three of them all look interesting but I'll most likely be diving into using Chespin.

Edit: There's also been speculation of character customization as we see the character looking in the mirror somewhere during the announcement trailer. If this is true, and us players can customize our trainer I feel that as a huge plus and another step forward in the Pokemon franchise.

If this speculation is indeed true, how would you guys feel about that?

[center]
    Spoiler:
    [/center]

Here's the said image. What do you guys think?

I've been begging them for customization forever so I doubt this is that. I assume this is the beginning sequence where it pans down to the PC getting ready to start his adventure. If there is customization I might get it just because I've wanted that forever.

Manio said:
    Off topic, but I made a cool title bar for this thread :3
    ---
    Apparently some of the evolutions have been leaked for the starters.

[CENTER][SPOILER]image[/SPOILER][/CENTER]

These are fakes...
  • It would be a step in the right direction to add customization. That's my opinion. Animal Crossing Wild Worlds (DS) did it really well where players could create their own clothes via the stylus and share them with friends. Custom trainers is something I think everyone has wanted for a long time now, and it could be a great new feature to spice up Pokemon.

Don't get me wrong, the switch to 3D is intriguing enough as it is.
    --
    Here's a piece of speculation that also intrigues me.

That focus looks set to involve some new ideas, with The Pokémon Company's president, Tsunekazu Ishihara, saying the following about a concept described as "Real Play":
    People around the world will be able to simultaneously experience 'Real Play'. The game uses an innovative communication system that makes it feel as if you are playing with other players around the world.
    The use of wording as if suggests that the online activity and communication may happen when you're not in game, but suggests that other players may drop into your game world. We believe the suggestion from Eurogamer that this will be a system similar to that used for the plaza in Nintendo Land seems likely. It could breath new life and immediacy into trading and communication mechanics.

I'd be really big on that if that's what the "Real Play" is about.
  • Manio said:
    It would be a step in the right direction to add customization. That's my opinion. Animal Crossing Wild Worlds (DS) did it really well where players could create their own clothes via the stylus and share them with friends. Custom trainers is something I think everyone has wanted for a long time now, and it could be a great new feature to spice up Pokemon.

Don't get me wrong, the switch to 3D is intriguing enough as it is.
    --
    Here's a piece of speculation that also intrigues me.

I'd be really big on that if that's what the "Real Play" is about.

God that seems awesome, but it sounds too good to be true that so many things we've been asking for are finally coming so I'll remain Devil's Advocate.

I know if we can draw our own clothes I will battle someone with drawn on dicks and other crap on their characters.
  • DarkAssassin236 said:

Really?

Mario Kart 7
    Super Mario 3D
    Paper Mario
    Animal Crossing
    Pokemon
    Super Smash Bros

Nothing there interests you in the slightest? Damn, I'm really sorry to hear that...
  • Off Topic:

I have to say, the 3DS is amassing a nice library of games. I've been researching and comparing the PS Vita and the 3DS(XL) over the weekend and while the Vita is an incredibly well built machine and has the potential of being an excellent system to own; the 3DS has won me over so far with its games. Mario Kart 7, Mario 3D Land, Kid Icarus: Uprising, Fire Emblem: Awakening(big one for me), Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward, even Resident Evil: Revelations seems really quite good. The eShop has a couple of appealing games too! Pullblox and Crimson Shroud stand out in the download only category IMO.

Of course, backwards compatibility is a big plus as well, especially with the XL's giant screens.

On topic:

I think I'll wait for Z. It's brilliant that they're aiming for a simultaneous worldwide release though.
  • DRUMMZ79 said:
    Really?

Mario Kart 7
    Super Mario 3D
    Paper Mario
    Animal Crossing
    Pokemon
    Super Smash Bros

Nothing there interests you in the slightest? Damn, I'm really sorry to hear that...

You don't need to be sorry, I'm sure all of those games are fun. It's just that if I'm going out shopping for a game I would rather pick something up for the 360, PS3, or PC.
  • Now, if these games add some type of achievement system or some challenges to track then I'll be hooked.

EDIT: Besides completing the Pokedex, and Elite Four stuff. I've gotten tired of trying to complete the Pokedex.
  • Manio said:
    Now, if these games add some type of achievement system or some challenges to track then I'll be hooked.

EDIT: Besides completing the Pokedex, and Elite Four stuff. I've gotten tired of trying to complete the Pokedex.

BW2 had Medals in it that were basically annoying achievements. I'd rather it didn't...
  • DarkAssassin236 said:
    It's just that if I'm going out shopping for a game I would rather pick something up for the 360, PS3, or PC.

As much as I argued against it, I completely understand. That's my biggest challenge as a 3DS owner is buying the games. Once I have them and have played em, I'm fine, but it's the in-store "should I buy this, or should I look at the 360 games" feeling that hampers me from having a bigger library.
  • Saw something from Destructoid today, about a reveal of two new Pokemon. I'll show you guys what's up.

[CENTER]image

We have a policy against posting most magazine scans here at Destructoid, which can make it tough for us to deliver the hottest Pokemon news to your eager little hands. But fear not, dear reader. The industrious minds at our lovely dot com always find a way.
    Above you'll see an artist's sprite based rendition of the two newest Pokemon X/Y reveals. Yamutsu (rough translation) is a bug type Pokemon, 0.3m tall, weighs 2.0kg. The bird type is Bitoyui (rough translation), 0.42m tall, weighs 2.8kg. Adorable!
    As you can see, these designs look pretty good in sprite form, even when thrown together by a industrious fan (me). Makes me even more sad to see Pokemon X/Y go the way of the polygon. Pokemon was one of the last big name in gaming to continue to use beautiful, low-res sprite-based graphics. The series never lacked for sales either, despite sticking with an "old school" look.
    Seems like a step backwards to see the latest entry in the series go for a look that resembles a first gen PS2 game, trying to "show off" with "futuristic" CGI models that just don't work as well to capture the spirit of Ken Sugimori's 2D concept art. Thankfully, the fans will always be there to do what Nintendidn't. I wouldn't be surprised to see a fully 2D fan-made remake of Pokemon X/Y down the line. With the two sprites above, they already have a head start.
    Read more at http://www.destructoid.com/meet-pokemon-x-y-s-new-bug-and-bird-pokemon-243871.phtml#5H6525eEbImMA2Jo.99

Do with the information as you please.

[/CENTER]
  • I gotta ask, does anyone have younger siblings who play Pokemon and are like "nah man the 3rd gen of Pokemon are da greatest"? Everyone my age agrees you can't get any better then the OG 150, just wondering if the younger people like the newer Pokemon.
  • Chip said:
    I gotta ask, does anyone have younger siblings who play Pokemon and are like "nah man the 3rd gen of Pokemon are da greatest"? Everyone my age agrees you can't get any better then the OG 150, just wondering if the younger people like the newer Pokemon.

I'm the same with the 150. Well, 151 if you include Mew. I don't really notice it that much, but my cousin who's 12 is more keen on the newest entries. Says something about them looking cooler than the originals, and that they're more powerful. I dunno.

I've always been more keen on the designs of the original Pokemon. More memorable, plus I can't even name all of the Pokemon past the first generation.
  • Ruby was my first pokemon game, so 3rd gen has the fondest memories for me. :)
  • Manio said:
    Well, 151 if you include Mew.

Fuck Mew. He's meant to be one of the most powerful Pokemon (or was) and he looks like a fucking cheap generic toy you'd win in a crane machine. How can you have so much power and look so......... weak. You gotta be badass with it like Blastoise.
  • I don't get why people complain about new one, if they don't come out with new ones its gonna get old. After 600+ Pokemon some are bound to be not as good.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week