The Playstation 2 is Dead... Finally
  • 2006 saw the release of the Playstation 3 a new home console from Sony. But that didn't mean that it's predecessor was done. Oh no. We still saw plenty of games released on the Playstation 2 and it still sold like hot cakes. In fact the system has sold more than 150 million units in its 12 years. I personally owned 4.

Even though there are still a few titles released each year for the 12 year old console (mainly EA sports titles such as FIFA). Last week Sony shut down production of the console and the Guardian confirmed that the Playstation 2 has reached it's inevitable end.

It seems very unlikely that a console will ever out sell the Playstation 2. What do you guys think. Is it about time? Will the Xbox 360 ever overtake it in sales? Do you want to see more Playstation 2 titles?
  • If anything was going to do it, it was going to be the DS. It's still very close, but with the 3DS out now, it looks kind of doubtful.

Other than that, it seems highly unlikely we'll see anything ever approach PS2 sales numbers, at least anytime soon. With the proliferation of games to other devices, the days of consoles selling that well are probably over.
  • I was at GameStop yesterday, and it's kind of weird to not have Playstation 2 games anymore. Just something that has been there for so long. (I don't know if others still have some being sold but the last couple I've been in have not).
  • I think this weekend I am going to plug in my PS2 and play some of my old games (I think I might actually pick up Persona 4 too and give that a go).
  • Well they are still gonna release the final expansion to FFXI on the PS2 in March lol
  • MissScooter said:
    I was at GameStop yesterday, and it's kind of weird to not have Playstation 2 games anymore. Just something that has been there for so long. (I don't know if others still have some being sold but the last couple I've been in have not).

My local Gamestop still sells plenty of used PS2 games, as well as Gamecube and the actual consoles themselves.

I need a new PS2, even though I've re-purchased many of my PS2 games via HD Collections, there's still games like Dark Cloud 2, Dragon Quest 8, and much much more that it doesn't look like will be hitting the PS3 before the dawn of PS4.
  • I've only recently had to replace my 7-8ish year old PS2. Only cost me €30 from a local trade in store and it still has a couple more leftover. Hail the PS2! There are still games I need to get too, particularly the Digital Devil Saga games. They look really excellent.

I'm happy to say that I grew up with PlayStation and that it still seems to be doing well in making people happy. :)
  • never got a ps2. it came out right at the wrong time. my ps1 had an extra long life and then the xbox had the right exclusives to make me get it over the ps2. it wasnt until the ps3 came out that i was making enough money to get all the consoles. so didnt seem to have a reason to go backwards to a ps2 when i could buy a ps3.
  • i'm pretty sure the xbox came out looong after the PS2 though didnt it?
  • Squall-lionheart16 said:
    i'm pretty sure the xbox came out looong after the PS2 though didnt it?

A year later so not really that long after. Xbox was Christmas 01 and ps2 was Xmas 2000 I think. I personally owned both and the sheer amount of games on the ps2 was amazing I would still recommend a new gamer pick that up as a 1st console. It's cheap, loads of games as already mentioned and it still looks relatively okay. It's a shame that production had to end I feel there could still be life there for younger gamers and those new to gaming. Plus I bet they a dirt cheap to make now days.
  • wow, it seemed like a huge gap, it's weird cus when xbox was out, PS2 was king (and rightly so) and i literally knew one person with an xbox and that was just gathering dust xD
  • I think it did take a while for the Xbox to gather steam. So that may be the reason for your thinking. But towards the end of its life I feel it did gather a significant fan base. I expect that mad mainly down to the halo games. I can't honestly think of another Xbox exclusive.
  • yh, even then Halo isn't all that

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week