Are Conspiracy Theorists Really Just Super Optimistic?
  • I've been wondering about this a little recently since one guy I work with is a total conspiracy theory nut and his ideas just seem to be getting weirder and weirder. The latest I heard was all world government leaders are actually shape-shifting lizard people trying to enslave humanity. Yes, he is serious when he says this, and when I Googled I found he is not alone.

I admit there are a few conspiracy theories out there that make a bit of sense, but 99.9% of them are just fucking whack imo, pseudo-science and nonsense. I got to wondering why people believe them, apart from the simple answer that these people are loons.

My conclusion: these people look at how fucked up our world is and rather than deal with the fact that it's all out of control because people are generally arrogant and stupid creatures, they want to believe that somewhere someone has a "master plan" and is in control, because that thought still gives them a little comfort. Whenever I hear these crazy conspiracy theories I'm reminded of the famous quote: "never attribute to genius that which can be explained by stupidity". Other people obviously find lizard folk overlords more plausible.

What are people's thoughts on this? I'm just throwing out some random thoughts. Take the discussion anywhere you want.
  • I have a few friends who are like this as well. The most recent I've heard is that the white stuff behind jets and other aircraft are really chem trails that are slowly killing us. Then somehow they connected it to the fact that aliens are known in our government and are actually pulling the strings so that we don't find out about their existence.

I don't know how I feel about all of it. I try to stay away from it though. I do enjoy watching shows like Brad Meltzers: Decoded and Conspiracy Theory with Jesse Ventura. I don' think we should build our beliefs on these shows. I think if these topics interest us, we should do our OWN research and develop our opinions based on the facts we found, not those of others.

I do agree that it provides some with comfort. I just smile and nod to those people. You can't argue with them, because then you're just in on it, or "you need to open your eyes to the truth". But hey, I'll sit back and get some enjoyment out of those running around thinking the world is ending.
  • I've seen bits and pieces of the Jesse Ventura show on YouTube. He's come a long way from trying to kill Arnold Schwarzenegger throughout the 80's :p

The thing about the research is this guy keeps telling me to do some, and to do some critical thinking but every source he gives me for reference is somehow related to either Alex Jones or David Icke, both of whom are firm whack jobs imo. The other thing that gets me is this same dude is totally dismissive of anyone with religious beliefs as "simple minded sheep". The irony is so thick you can cut it into slices. :p
  • Conspiracy theories usually spawn out of people unable to comprehend an event and want a simpler explanation. Plus, people make careers out of peddling bullshit.
  • Conspiracy theorists are powerless people trying to feel like they have some control or understanding, when they have very little in the real world. Well, actually successful conspiracy theorists are liars who prey upon those folks. I suppose there are exceptions, spreading conspiracies about your political opponents and such, but even that is preying on that same basic need for the illusion of control when there is little to be had.

Example, I fucking hate Bush, but I don't think he was in on 911, because he was clearly not competent enough to pull something like that off. Trutherism would not make sense for a whole host of other reasons, but most conspiracies presuppose so much hypercompetence on the part of the conspirators, they could accomplish anything, openly or secretly.

What has changed is the internet. Now unstable and fearful folks can find and feed into each other in ways that were impossible before. The internet has divided us more than we realize. Just like fetishist of sexual tangents could not exist before, because they could not find each other before the internet; so to political fetishist can type from their homes and believe anything they want to, together. You no longer have to reach consensus with your neighbors, you can stare into a screen, typing at nothing but crazy people, and go where ever you want.
  • westsw said:

Example, I fucking hate Bush, but I don't think he was in on 911, because he was clearly not competent enough to pull something like that off. Trutherism would not make sense for a whole host of other reasons, but most conspiracies presuppose so much hypercompetence on the part of the conspirators, they could accomplish anything, openly or secretly.

What has changed is the internet. Now unstable and fearful folks can find and feed into each other in ways that were impossible before. The internet has divided us more than we realize. Just like fetishist of sexual tangents could not exist before, because they could not find each other before the internet; so to political fetishist can type from their homes and believe anything they want to, together. You no longer have to reach consensus with your neighbors, you can stare into a screen, typing at nothing but crazy people, and go where ever you want.

What about the people around Bush? I was under the impression they did most of the work anyway. With 9-11 I really can't make a call on Bush, but I do think the official story stinks terribly.

Good point, but without the net I wouldn't have found any of you guys, so I can't be too hard on it.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week