Dark Souls 2 Announced
  • Namco Bandai has announced Dark Souls II for PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, and PC at the Video Game Awards in Los Angeles tonight.

In development at From Software, the game will offer new obstacles, challenges, and “suffering” as players experience a fresh story as a new hero in an unfamiliar world. The game will also have a revamped server-based multiplayer mode.

“Dark Souls II retains the core essence of Dark Souls while evolving to present new twists and challenges that are sure to please longtime fans and attract new comers to the series,” says Carlson Choi, vice president of marketing at Namco Bandai. “From Software is going to take a very dark path with Dark Souls II; players will need to look deep within themselves to see if they have the intestinal fortitude to embark on this journey.”

Tomohiro Shibuya, director of Dark Souls II, added: “This new chapter in the Dark Souls saga presents opportunities for us to drive innovation in gameplay design, develop an entirely new story, and expand the scope of the world in which the player interacts with the game. We have taken these necessary steps with Dark Souls II in order to evolve the overall experience of the Dark Souls series.

“The entire development team is striving to make Dark Souls II an experience that is fresh while not forsaking its roots in presenting players with challenging gameplay. Our goal is to surprise and delight our fans with new experiences and plot twists while enticing new players to join our dark journey.”

A release date forDark Souls II was not announced. Watch the debut trailer below. View a set of trailer stills at the gallery. Visit the official website here.

http://www.darksoulsii.com/agegate.php

[video=youtube;rPJaJ5ys_G0]

------------

So I figure everyone is excited, I know I'm playing Dark Souls now and I am loving every second of it...kinda. lol

Source: Gematsu.com
  • They're going to take the series down a darker path? Do they mean make the whole game like Tomb of the Giants? Or they're going to add a Silent Hill element? Or just get gory like all the other games? The humour in these games is one of the best parts of it, I'd hate to see that go.
  • Dr Flibble said:
    They're going to take the series down a darker path? Do they mean make the whole game like Tomb of the Giants? Or they're going to add a Silent Hill element? Or just get gory like all the other games? The humour in these games is one of the best parts of it, I'd hate to see that go.

• EDGE has the inside track:

Article said:
    An eternal battle rages at the heart of Dark Souls II. On one side stands the stern force of challenge, the very soul of the Souls series. It has inspired thousands of fans to hack their way through two of the most demanding and rewarding games of an era, fans who expect at least the same test on the next go around. On the other side is the bright promise of accessibility. And why not? Why shouldn’t FromSoftware and Namco Bandai open Souls up to a wider audience when it could otherwise be in danger of becoming stuck in a cult cul-de-sac?

There are many, after all, who have been put off by the series’ habit of obscuring its best assets from all but the most committed. Entire systems, such as Dark Souls’ covenants and Demon’s Souls’ World Tendency, remain mysteries to even reasonably experienced players – wouldn’t it be a service to the games to help everyone understand them better? On the other hand, isn’t the very nature of the Souls series about obfuscation and what it makes you work for? Aren’t its greatest pleasures about the slow crawl of discovery in a world that refuses easy interpretation? What would the series lose if it was made more explicit?

As we find out in issue 249, the answers to these questions are in the hands of game directors new to the Souls series, Tomohiro Shibuya and Yui Tanimura, who have taken the reins from Hidetaka Miyazaki. Their descriptions of how they intend to mould Dark Souls II into a more approachable form seem reasonable. But Shibuya admits that their approach will be influenced by their individual characters. “I personally am the sort of person who likes to be more direct than subtle,” he tells us. “Dark Souls II will be more straightforward and more understandable.” We sympathise if that sort of statement concerns you, but at the same time, we can surely agree that we would all like to see Dark Souls attain as great a presence as The Elder Scrolls. How it gets there is a worthy matter for debate, but it’s certainly a noble task.

Unsure how I feel. Discovering the hidden lore of the world was one of my favorite things.
  • Sunflower said:
    Unsure how I feel. Discovering the hidden lore of the world was one of my favorite things.

Yeah, ... I feel the same way, but I guess it might be easier for people new to the series to get into it... maybe. :/ either way I'm really looking forward to this. :)
  • I really hope they still have all of that hidden lore, it gave Dark Souls a surprising amount of longevity because of it.

I have faith in the team.
  • Dark Souls shouldn't be aiming to be on the same level as Skyrim; it's already surpassed it.

If they want to put more story in there I'm fine with that, as long as those cutscenes are skippable! I'm in it for the gameplay.

As for the 2 new guys being brought on board, one of them worked on Monster Hunter and the other Armored Core, so there is still a lot of fiddly level grinding weapon crafting badass boss making patience is a virtue type DNA in there. There's no way From would give their crown jewel to some spotty undergrad fresh out of game design class. Miyazaki will still be around too.

Also, the PS3/Xbox and PC versions will release simultaneously this time around.
  • I agree on the whole lore thing. I barely got far enough into the game for anything more than the slightest hints about the lore to start creeping through, but even just hearing about it from you guys third-hand makes the game itself seem richer in my memory than it probably was at the time.

Also, when you put out a press release that talks about 'intestinal fortitude' you have my attention :) .
  • Sunflower said:

I'm Rick James bitch!! :D

I knew I'd seen that somewhere. It only just came back to me. :p Gotta go dig that shit up on YouTube.
  • Dr Flibble said:
    I'm Rick James bitch!! :D

I knew I'd seen that somewhere. It only just came back to me. :p Gotta go dig that shit up on YouTube.

Used it in reference to all the talk of darkness :D

"Darkness! Darkness is spreading!"
  • Dark Souls 2 Concept Artwooooooooooooooooork:

"The Hero"

Apparently, this dude had a spider stab a leg through his cerebellum and now the spider is controlling his movement.

It certainly looks like Dark Souls! :D
  • [video=youtube;EA1s9v2Ab8w]

Still cautiously optimistic! The enemy's actions and the types of enemies seem to have more variety now. Nice touch!
  • FirLocke said:
    [video=youtube;EA1s9v2Ab8w]

Still cautiously optimistic! The enemy's actions and the types of enemies seem to have more variety now. Nice touch!

Cautiously? Game looks great!

Dedicated servers are back as well. Yay!
  • It's looking good, I'm probably going to get it day one especially because it really looks like it's going to be on current gen. I just need more!

Box art. I like it. I like it a lot.
  • That's some nice box-art. Hoping they stick with it. They're also running a contest to make your own shield design. Prizes include signed copies of the game, your shield in-game, your name in the game credits, etc.

https://www.facebook.com/darksouls/app_183958555087382
  • Oh my.

And that's the month that I was born! :D

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week