Welcome to the world of Economic Fascism, hosted by The United States
  • So today a chap I know directed me to this little gem:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/30/business/supreme-court-hears-copyright-case-on-imported-textbooks.html?_r=0

which is basically a copyright case in which a student from Thailand studying in the US got his friends and family to send him textbooks from Thailand, which he then made a huge profit from selling on eBay to Americans. See, books in Thailand are a lot cheaper than they are in the US, so it was win for both him, and the students. Book publishers however, don't agree, and are suing him.

So in essence, when a company makes use of cheaper foreign markets it's called "good business", when a consumer does it they deserve to be run over hot coals and feel the full force of justice and liberty, crony American style.

The case is hinging on the right of first sale, however the publishers are arguing that since the books were not made in America, none of that applies and copyright still belongs to them even after sale.

Think about that for a second. If the courts decide the publishers are right you people in the US will only be allowed to resell goods that were made domestically. And Americanism, oops globalism, being what it is, this would no doubt be forced upon the rest of us eventually too.

Get ready to to witness the end of "buying", to be replaced with "rental for life". :p

People's thoughts on this case?

Also, I couldn't find anything current on the case, all the articles I found via Google were about a month old. Is there more news for this story now? Linky linky posty posty.
  • I cannot imagine the court will side with the publisher. Not that the current court does not slobber over big business, it's just that reselling stuff for profit is just so darn American. Music, book, artistic copyright in general, has been getting longer and longer. The truly rich who own such things would like to see them last forever, which is stupid as Hell. At some point, culture belongs to all of us.

IP law is pretty screwy these days. Apple feels it owns rounded rectangles. If this is how IP law had worked in the industrial revolution, we would all live in log cabins and die of dysentary. Actual invention involves more than good design. Good design can be copied, forcing further improvement. If Apple had invented the car, it would say all others must make cars with more or less than four wheels, and that only their sterring wheels may be round. I fucking love Apple stuff, and they can glue the batteries in and make it hard to play with their stuff, but patenting every tiny idea with shapes or touchscreens should be laughed out of the room. But it probably won't be, because people are stupid.
  • i cant help but think ebay would be in deep shit if this was passed and enforced.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week