Whatever happened to teachers simply taking attendance?
  • http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20461752

Trackers for students? Seriously? Please tell me this isn't going to catch on.

I know there are some students among the NTA community; how would you guys feel if you were told to wear a tracker so they could see where you are at all times?
  • I personally wouldn't have a huge problem seeing as I'm mainly just hanging around my house but I know the druggies at my school would. Obviously it's a big time invasion of privacy though, so luckily I live in Murica.
  • Explosive collars is a better solution, not on school without valid reason? boom! :p
  • Tracking movements is a a bit ridiculous, my Uni in London has started using a system where we have to tap-in our ID cards for an electronic register. If you're more than 10 minutes late you count as absent (which is BS) because of this Uni: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-2196055/London-Metropolitan-University-crisis-Visas-sham-courses-bogus-students.html
  • This probably wouldn't have bothered me when I was at school mainly due to the sheer amount of people would have "lost" or "broken" theirs. In the end they would have abandoned it after finding it only tracking 1/5th of the students. In turn though I say the teachers and staff themselves should have to wear them too.
  • this is no big deal at all, if this was in place when i went to school i would leave the tag in my locker and get it when i was in school. its not like you could go to many places that you werent supposed to anyway. i can remember one single time that i was somewhere that i wasnt suppose to be on school grounds and that was hiding behind a stairwell instead of being in a pep rally. looking back i would have had more fun at the rally. in my school if a teacher sees a student out of class they always asked if they had a hall pass. if i had a tag i wouldnt have to get stopped by these teachers. they would see i was just going to the office for a minute and went right back to class. the end of the day comes i put my card in my locker and i go about my day.
  • I doubt this will catch on. Trackers in phones for kids never did, and a school doing it will bring in lawsuits from every ACLU related group in the country. Not only that, but if it's going to have issues with religion, it'll be dead in the water.

This is a good time, however, to make a joke about Texas, since that's where this started. Texas has probably the most backwards and repressive school system in the US.
  • GoodEnoughForMe said:
    I doubt this will catch on. Trackers in phones for kids never did, and a school doing it will bring in lawsuits from every ACLU related group in the country. Not only that, but if it's going to have issues with religion, it'll be dead in the water.

This is a good time, however, to make a joke about Texas, since that's where this started. Texas has probably the most backwards and repressive school system in the US.

i think not, texas had the last schools to have corporal punishment. as far as i know they still do. what is backwards about that?
  • I find it hypocritically hilarious.

Person carrying a cellular phone is tracked (I am not even mentioning smartphones with GPS functions),if you have reception your location (as well as all of your activities) is triangulated and recorded for the least of 6 month as demanded by the EU regulations (I assume there is something similar in the US).

It's perfectly fine if group of strangers have your location information and uses it for god knows what but it is unacceptable when it's a somebody that you know using it for perfectly valid reasons.

At least I've had a good laugh out of reading the thread and the article.
  • Jerom said:
    At least I've had a good laugh out of reading the thread and the article.

Thanks for giving us a laugh too. :D

You're the worst type of idiot. The smug conclusion-jumping assumption-making moron who thinks they are, oh so clever.

Hilarious stuff dude. Keep it up!
  • You have my at most respect and hence you are welcome.
  • To be honest I don't think it's a terrible idea, however, it's completely unnecessary and a complete waste of money. It's not going to change much, students aren't going to change what they do if they're skipping out. The reason for the chip is to get an idea for how many students are showing up to make sure schools get the correct funding, yet schools have been doing this, which to be honest, takes about 2 minutes. Heck, some of my college professors with 40 students in just one class learn everyone's names in only a few weeks and fly through attendance just scanning the list in a minute.
  • I'm not down with this. Let the boys be boys and go smoke pot instead of attending their Life Skills lecture. I turned out okay.
  • Bongo said:
    I'm not down with this. Let the boys be boys and go smoke pot instead of attending their Life Skills lecture. I turned out okay.
    I feel like this is going to bring out the rebels in some people. I may have been one of the good kids never wanting to get in trouble, but I know some people that would have taken this as a challenge.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week