Video Card Woes
  • I will start by letting you guys know that I know barely anything about video cards and shit. So anyway I have a AMD Radeon 6770 in my Computer at the minute. I have had it for nearly 2 years now and well it's definitely time for an upgrade. So I am here to ask for suggestions. I am looking at the £100 range maybe a little more if needed. Suggestions?
  • Your choices for that price range are nVidia GTX 650 TI or AMD / Radeon 7850. I'd probably go with the 7850.

Both those cards should have SKU's at $180 AUD~ = 117.651 GBP. Shop around you can probably find them cheaper.
  • Ineptic said:
    Your choices for that price range are nVidia GTX 650 TI or AMD / Radeon 7850. I'd probably go with the 7850.

Both those cards should have SKU's at $180 AUD~ = 117.651 GBP. Shop around you can probably find them cheaper.

Will he get a noticeable performance boost from either card?
  • It should give a noticable difference in performance. The 6770 is basically a re-badged 5770. The 7850 is the little brother to the 7870. It of course depends on the game, what resolution you want to game at and if you can do without setting everything to its highest setting.

It's hard to find games that are used to benchmark both cards. However from the benchmarks that show the 5770 and 7850 in the same test show a 164%~ improvement. Keep in mind 164% is the difference between 11 FPS and 29 FPS.

Don't worry about 29 FPS still being low. As thats with settings turned on in a game that do next to nothing and chew a lot of processing power, turn them down / off and you get a great looking game with much better frame rates.