Disney Purchases LucasFilm
  • That's right, folks! Disney has purchased LucasFilm. Not only that, Star Wars Episode VII is now set for 2015. What are your guys' thoughts?

I for one, am interested in where the story will go, but I'm kind of upset that they didn't just leave the series where it was. There are PLENTY of books that tell the tales of our heroes after the end of Episode VI, and, to the best of my knowledge, they're all considered canon. Does this mean that they're going to make feature film iterations of the books? Or are they going to nix that and just make something else up? I'm guessing the films will be about Han and Leia's children, who are all force sensitive. Only time will tell, I suppose.
  • No thanks. Massive Star Wars fan (except the new trilogy). I don't see how this will be good.
  • No, the current track record argues that it won't be good. What they're thinking of doing for the story interests me, though. Also, let's not forget, Disney makes quality movies. Maybe if Lucas isn't writing it won't be utter shit.
  • Cautiously optimistic, I guess. I am glad that Lucas has given up his iron-grip on Star Wars, because if he still had it, we'd be stuck with permanently escalating, crappy EU books, and the occasional TV series. Disney is about my last choice for who to own it, but the reality is that very few companies had the market cap to purchase it. LucasFilm has basically been Disney-lite, anyways.

Lucas had originally planned for three trilogies, so I am sure there are a ton of old materials and ideas to work with. Ultimately, it will come down to who is making the film. Disney does not have too good track record with getting good talent on board, even with Touchstone/Dreamworks. Their staple of good movies is thin, if you cut out Pixar and Ghibli. I'm not sure if that's something on Disney's end or just how it goes.

"The new trilogy will carry the story of Luke Skywalker, Han Solo and Princess Leia beyond 'Return of the Jedi...,'" is really vague, but all of the original actors for those three characters are still alive. Barely.

I'm more worried about Star Wars video games. It basically sounds like they're going to be phased out.
  • GoodEnoughForMe said:

I'm more worried about Star Wars video games. It basically sounds like they're going to be phased out.

Read something about them targeting mobile, and social platforms. I'll try finding the source again.
  • Manio said:
    Read something about them targeting mobile, and social platforms. I'll try finding the source again.

They did, it was in the press report. I should have specified console/PC games, since I don't care about mobile or social stuff. :P
  • Disney blows. Lucas blows. Match made in Heaven. Look out! Here comes an Ewok trilogy!

My love affair with Star Wars is long over.
  • It will be good if they keep Lucas away from writting the story line!

Disney sucks? Avengers is da Shait! man!
  • Dr Flibble said:
    Disney blows. Lucas blows. Match made in Heaven. Look out! Here comes an Ewok trilogy!

They already made an Ewok movie and animation series way back in the 80s, that udder is dry.
  • Chip said:
    They already made an Ewok movie and animation series way back in the 80s, that udder is dry.

Oh the folly of youth. That's like 600 years in Movie Years! Long overdue for a reboot, remake, or outright recycle!

Epke, one does not slam someone's writing skills then praise The Avengers. Horrible horrible shit!
  • I liked The Avengers.
  • It can't be any worse than the new trilogy though, right?
  • Everyone go to twitter and hashtag the inevatable. #lucasrapedmychildhood and #disneyrapedmychildschildhood
  • Manio said:
    It can't be any worse than the new trilogy though, right?

I wouldn't put it past Disney. I'm going to see the new films regardless and Disney know that Star Wars fans will do the same.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week