• Alright, now im not that well informed with what parts are well suited for my build.
    Now with the craze of Guild Wars 2, and me never playing a guild wars game, my interest was peaked and well im planning to build a gaming pc. The laptop I have will jsut barely meet the requirements and even then when I run games on this machine, the CPU is maxed and the laptop easily over heats. Not the greatest laptop I have here...

I plan to have a budget of around 1200-1500 and I feel 1500 would probably be over kill. But for games such as Guild Wars 2 and a few GFX heavy games. What would you tech savy folks recommend?

I know what parts I need to get, but whether or not they will be compatible is what baffles me.
    Now im trying to make this both a gaming pc AND a pc to work with video editing/graphic design. Planning to have at least two hard drives at least one of them a Solid State drive for my games. Though I haven't encountered a drive with much capacity in it.

Any who... Suggestions? Recommendations? Sources?
  • Guild Wars 2 is not a very demanding game but it scales extremely well, basically you can run it on low end machine but the more horse power you throw at it the better it will perform. Here you can see it being bench marked on various settings http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/guild-wars-2-performance-benchmark,3268-4.html

I am not sure what kind of programs you use for video editing but judging by what folks says on Priemere and Maya mid-top gaming GPU and CPU will handle most of the rendering quite well.

As for putting parts together one of the most useful tools I've stumbled across in recent years is http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/partlist/ first it gives you a good amount of selection to narrow down your pick, present the prices from multiple retailers in a central way and lastly makes sure the system is compatible (it's a little check box in top right corner, make sure it is selected).

When it comes to the budget, do you need to get keyboard, mouse and monitor in addition to computer itself? 21' -24' LED backlit monitor could cost alon anywhere from 110$ to over 400$. And sadly it's quite hard to objectively compare them unlike PC hardware components. If you can't tell the difference between contras ratio 1:500 to 1:3000 that's silly throw the money on the more expensive one. You'd actually have to go to the store and compare the picture quality to decide which one suits your more. I'll try to stick to the lower end of the budget to give you more wiggle room.

Finally the usual question, do you plan to over clock? Intel CPUs are locked with the exception of the models with K at the end, it could give you "free" boost but in reality unlocked ("K") models cost more than their locked counterparts. So if you do not plan on actually doing it going with locked part is actually cheaper.

My initial impulse while ignoring the budget was this.

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($289.99 @ NCIX US)
    CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($129.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($74.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($159.99 @ NCIX US)
    Storage: Samsung 830 Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($216.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($399.99 @ Amazon)
    Case: Corsair 400R ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Corsair 650W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($69.99 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Sony AD-7280S-0B DVD/CD Writer ($22.98 @ Newegg)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($90.63 @ Amazon)
    Total: $1615.52
    (Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)

Now let's trim it down a little bit and see what we can get.

CPU: Intel Core i5-3550 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($209.99 @ Amazon)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($27.99 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($89.99 @ Amazon)
    Memory: Kingston Blu 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($35.99 @ NCIX US)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($95.99 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($96.49 @ B&H)
    Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7870 2GB Video Card ($247.55 @ Newegg)
    Case: Cooler Master Elite 370 ATX Mid Tower Case ($35.68 @ NCIX US)
    Power Supply: Corsair 600W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($49.99 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Sony AD-7280S-0B DVD/CD Writer ($22.98 @ Newegg)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($90.63 @ Amazon)
    Total: $1003.27
    (Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)

Ta da, very close to the requested some and still quite beastly. I won't go and pretend like it can run every game on 1080p on ultra preset at 60 fps. However I want to point it out that it can definitely handle current games on high and maybe even ultra if you knock down AF to sensible levels.

There are still few fine tuning things that you could do.
    CPU: I went with i5 since it's virtually the same thing when it comes to gaming, the only difference between i5 and i7 in your case would be Hyper-Threading which benefits highly threaded application - mostly rendering. Does 80$ to you worth saving 10-15 minutes of time when you render something for 2 hours? If so, go for it.
    Motherboard: GA-Z77-DS3H motherboard is really cheap at 89.99$ on newegg but it would mean giving up SLI/CF option down the road (Because second PCI slot is just x4, not a smart choice for SLI/CF) ,GA-Z77X-D3H would cost additional 40$ but would allow for SLI/CF.
    RAM: I went for 8 GB ram since it's cheaper but I know it's quite valuable to editing however because it's the easiest component to upgrade and install I thought you could always throw 30-40$ on top of it at latter date If you decide to do so.
    HDD: Seagates are cheaper but some people tend to have problems with them. Personally I never had any issues but if you want to stride on the side of caution Western Digital is the best pick if more a expensive one.
    GPU: HD 7870 is a great card, you can check quite a the benchmarks at my go to site for benchmarks Tom's Hardware (7870 benchmarks) or even google it up, more sources usually give you a better picture. If you feel that you'd like a more powerful card I think that valid upgrade optiosn would be HD 7950 (79500 benchmarks) and next step would be GTX 670 (670 benchmarks), which ever card you choose I suggest sticking to either Gigabyte windforce brand or Asus DC2 ones. They are roughly equal and let the price be a deciding point.
    CASE: It's really an aesthetic choice as long as the case is strong enough and big enough to hold all the pieces. I like coolmaster 370 cause it is cheap and simple design yet you could squeeze quite a lot in. You can go with whatever case that you fancy if you are into led lights and side windows.

I hope that it helps :)
  • I saw your thread and was replying when something came up an I had to go out. Totally forgot to come back to it.

Jerom's build is pretty much exactly what I'd recommend even down to the brand of SSD. I'm usually on Noobtoob's IRC if you have any questions you want answered quickly.
  • Thanks Jerom! This helped a lot. I'll begin to order sometime in a few months, really appreciate the time you took to look this up.

And thanks Ineptic, I'll be sure to hop on the IRC if any questions come up.
  • Wow, awesome post Jerom. I just started looking into building a gaming PC to replace my laptop. This really helps.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week