Dead Island Riptide
  • [CENTER]

[/CENTER]
    Anyone who hated Dead Island going to give this another chance? The devs have said it will not be a remake it will be a brand new game.

I liked the first game once I learned the weapon dupe glitch because paying $70,000 to repair a katana with a battery strapped to it is BULLSHIT. If they throw out the crappy weapon durability and repair system from the first game I will definitely grab this.
  • I will give it a rent before I buy. I was pretty disappointed with the original game, so a brand new game will be great. The concept is perfect, it was just executed poorly.
  • Did you guys only play it at release time? They updated it and changed a few things. When I played it at release on Xbox I was a little disappointed, but I got it on pc about a month ago and the little changes made all the difference and now I absolutely love it. One of my favorite changes was they took out the animation for picking up items. At release there was like a 1 second long bending over animation every time you picked up an item and it drove me nuts.
    I can't wait for Riptide and I will pre-order it as soon as I can for pc.
  • God, Flibble. Why did you have to tell me this? Got the original on release, played the balls out of it and got disappointed later on. Here's hoping they fix all past mistakes. I still have hope for the Dead Island. I just don't want to waste another $60. Plus, I pre-ordered Dead Island last year and let's be honest. Those pre-order incentives sucked some major ass.
  • Dead Island was a pretty ugly baby, but I still had a lot of fun with it. Playing with others was a lot more enjoyable than playing solo though. Except for the weapon repair and how stupid expensive it was just to repair what was essentially a garden shed tool pissed me off a great deal, but the dupe glitch solved that (until they patched it :( ). I will wait for some initial reviews to hear how the weapon system works this time around, but I fully expect I will buy this.

I never tried the DLC for Dead Island, was it any good?
  • I got DI on launch for 360. The first half of the game I loved, right at the halfway mark I got boring and I lost interest. Rushed thru the last half and traded it in. I picked up the GOTY for PC during the steam summer sale and again loved the first half and lost interest and haven't touched it since then.

I'll get Riptide eventually, but it wont be at launch for sure.
  • Riptide? ......... Zombie fish?
  • Manio said:
    I just don't want to waste another $60.

Riptide is going to be $50 new even on the consoles. Because (paraphrase) "Thats the price games should be this late into the consoles lifespan."

Chip said:
    Riptide? ......... Zombie fish?

Zombie sharks. Zombie Kraken.
  • Schizophriend said:
    Riptide is going to be $50 new even on the consoles. Because (paraphrase) "Thats the price games should be this late into the consoles lifespan."

Zombie sharks. Zombie Kraken.

Zombie mermaid!
  • I stopped playing i when they fixed the duping glitch too. XD
  • I think I'll be okay waiting on this.

The original DI launch was incredible, especially on PC - when you'd hit the Y button, it'd activate noclip mode. I own it on 2 platforms :| but I think a little patience would do me good. Once I hit the city, I stopped having a significant amount of fun with the game and it turned frustrating.
  • Sunflower said:
    I think I'll be okay waiting on this.

The original DI launch was incredible, especially on PC - when you'd hit the Y button, it'd activate noclip mode. I own it on 2 platforms :| but I think a little patience would do me good. Once I hit the city, I stopped having a significant amount of fun with the game and it turned frustrating.

Were you playing by yourself in the city? The city section should definitly be played co-op as it does get a lot harder.
  • I got to the swampy/jungle bits in the first game, and hit a game-breaking glitch and essentially told the game to fuck itself.

They released another emotional CGI trailer, and this time for the new game "Riptide". I'm probably still gonna pick this up, but not on release/pre-order like I did with the original title. Either way, here's the CGI trailer for Riptide. Definitely not as emotional as the Dead Island one was. Hopefully they fix some issues. They talk about evolved multiplayer on their website, but I have my doubts.

[youtube]NWh84-Hjcs4[/youtube]

Advice to myself: Don't get hyped again.
  • So I watched a dev play this at PAX. They definitely went with an "If it isn't broken, don't fix it." approach. Visually it looks almost identical to the first game. Slight engine optimizations allowed them to do a few things like improved water and explosions and such.

Its a direct sequel to Dead Island. The guy showing us the game said "Riptide picks up right where the first Dead island ended."

The characters are the same (they added one new playable character and the rest are the same, same skill trees and everything). I did ask the lead dev guy if we would be able to import max level characters and still be able to level up, and yes; they did raise the level cap(I think he said it was by 10 levels, not positive though). Yay!

The guy showed us a few new things like you can plant trip mines and theres a new thing where you bar up/fence up exits and hold out against zombies in an area/building. He said they improved the guns, not really sure how; I thought they were good to begin with and they looked the same in the gameplay I saw.

I'm still excited for it and I know I'll love it because I loved the first one, but... its literally more of the same. At least from what I saw.

I may still pre order if there isn't anything else big coming out around the same time.
  • Did he say anything about the weapon repair system and stupid prices? That is really the only thing preventing a day 1 buy for me. I enjoyed the first game a lot (with the dupe glitch) but the weapons and repair costs sucked golf balls through garden hoses. The first game without the dupe glitch is near unbearable for me.
  • Dr Flibble said:
    Did he say anything about the weapon repair system and stupid prices? That is really the only thing preventing a day 1 buy for me. I enjoyed the first game a lot (with the dupe glitch) but the weapons and repair costs sucked golf balls through garden hoses. The first game without the dupe glitch is near unbearable for me.

No mention of that. I have no idea what people are talking about when they complain about the repair costs though. I've never had a problem with it. Basically I just ran around with one or two really good weapons that I liked and I repaired those and the rest of my inventory slots went to throwaway weapons I replaced whenever they broke. They did update and change a bunch of stuff, maybe they fixed the repair costs by the time I did my playthrough... idk.
  • I have the first Dead Island, but I haven't been able to play it for long periods of time. It's okay, I guess, but every time I sit down to play it I end up wanting to just play something else. I'm planning on just buckling down and finishing it one day, but I seriously doubt I'll ever be picking up Riptide. It's a shame because I really like the setting, but I just don't really like how the game plays.
  • Bongo said:
    I have the first Dead Island, but I haven't been able to play it for long periods of time. It's okay, I guess, but every time I sit down to play it I end up wanting to just play something else. I'm planning on just buckling down and finishing it one day, but I seriously doubt I'll ever be picking up Riptide. It's a shame because I really like the setting, but I just don't really like how the game plays.

I can try borrowing my bud's copy if you wanna play through it with a co-op partner.
  • Manio said:
    I can try borrowing my bud's copy if you wanna play through it with a co-op partner.

That'd be awesome! I haven't had a chance to try co-op yet. Let me know if you can snag a copy!
  • Bongo said:
    That'd be awesome! I haven't had a chance to try co-op yet. Let me know if you can snag a copy!

Dead Island is one of those games where is definitely best played in co-op. The storyline is extremely bare bones, the fun comes from the challenge, the loot, and those dramatic moments very few co-op games seem to master.
  • Bongo said:

Alright cool beans. I've yet to play-through the entire game co-op. Me and my buddy tried doing it when I had my copy and we were plagued with connection issues.
  • Anyone got Riptide on PS3 and want to co-op tag team some zombie bikini babes?

Anybody?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week