NooBTooB Gaming 101 - #07 Deus Ex: Human Revolution (Aug 2012)
  • [center][video=youtube;bsi56zEaGlo]

Noobtoob Gaming 101
    August 2012

Deus Ex: Human Revolution

[/center]

Well here we are folks, the triumphant return of the Noobtoob Gaming 101. In the month of August we'll be playing and sharing our experience of Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Get posting as you go through the game, I always wanted to pick this up when it first came out last year but didn't get the chance so I'm really looking forward to sharing he experience with you all. Please pay attention to the ground rules!

GROUND RULES
    • Report on your progress regularly, post updates and let people know where you're up to
    • Reports can be as text or a video, or even a short podcast using Blip or Audioboo if you fancy
    • Be sure to be very detailed: talk about what you like about the mechanics and gameplay, the story, the look of the game etc etc
    • Spoilers are acceptable (even encouraged) but please place them within spoiler tags
    • If you've played the game before, try a different route through the game - much of the strength of this game is the options that it gives you to approach different challenges
    • Help each other out, give hints and tips based on your own experience if people are getting stuck
    • NO WALKTHROUGHS - make it up as you go along, let the dice lie where they fall, live with your choices. Upset an NPC? Accidentally kill the guy who was selling the item you need? Miss a collectable because it was hidden behind a pot plant? Tough!

EXTRA CREDIT ASSIGNMENT: Non-lethal playthrough - think you're stealth enough?
  • Awwww yeah.

I know for sure I AM NOT stealth enough, though. I have a big butt, you see.
  • Given that I like playing stealth games, and I've always been a teacher's pet :P I'll have to try that extra credit assignment. See how far I get, anyway.

I've played this game before a little bit and I find the 1st person stealth challenging... but then I'm also not used to 1st person games in general.

Onward & upward!!!!!!
    (Almost literally.... most of the stealth moves have you going up and around on rooftops...)

Will report back once I've had a boo again. Likely not till later today.
  • Stealth is not fun. I went through the initial first mission and I'm at Detroit opening back up to me. Feels like I just played this, but it hasn't been since release. Going to experiment with a few things.

David Sarif's voice actor is so distinctive and while he isn't a GREAT voice actor, his failings and way of speaking fall completely in line with how I view his character and it's pretty seamless to me. I love him.
  • Loving my time back in this world. I'm playing completely differently than I had my initial go around; the name of the game is RUN AND GUN >:P

*Edit*

So I've made a bit of progress. So far I've done all the side missions in Detroit and just defeated the first boss. Man, if there's anything wrong with this game, it's the bosses. Alas, I came out triumphant and now I move on.
  • damn, the Olympics have ate up most of my tv time I'll start it after the games.
  • Have only made a little progress so far, about halfway through the first mission (assuming we count the opening sequence up to the titles as a tutorial) and am trying to be as stealthy as possible. I wasn't particularly stealthy in the tutorial, but I don't imagine there are many ways of sneaking around a burning building full of terrorists.

Initial thoughts:

Looks: I must confess, I'm a sucker for this kind of semi-plausible near-future look. As soon as I saw the chunky VTOL airship and the police with the full-face masks I was sold and I can't wait to see where else the game takes me. Graphics-wise I'm pretty impressed with the 360 version as well. Like Max Payne 3 (the last game I played through) there's a decent amount of detail and variety in the environment. Generating this amount of art assets might be an unsustainable money-sink for the industry, but I'm loving it!

Gameplay: Stupid, stupid, stupid, I'm playing through on Normal rather than Easy and already I've died a couple of times. If I want to get through this within the month, I might struggle a little. Probably not helping myself by trying to go stealth for as long as I can, but I just couldn't stand the emasculating feel of selecting Easy at the start menu...

I'll also need a little time to get used to the controls after MP3. First point of business will probably be to switch the cover button to a toggle rather than something you have to hold. I do kind of like holding a cover button (I remember Sunny saying on an old Modcast that it feels like you're clinging onto the cover), but couple that with needing to push out on the left stick to peek out of the cover, plus wave the right stick around to aim, PLUS hammer the right trigger to shoot and you're getting into rub-your-tummy-pat-your-head territory.

I also want to speed up the look sensitivity. When I was new to Max Payne I was complaining that the camera was too fluid and rotated around Max too quickly. Now I'm into Deus Ex and it feels a little slow and stodgy. It's just what you're used to, I guess.

Story: Can't comment on this yet, really. Perhaps unsurprisingly, considering the origins of the series, but the whole 'corporations are running the world, humanity is dwindling' is starting to feel a little careworn and late-90s at this stage. That's not to say I don't like it, particularly the last line in the introduction to the manual - 'It's not the end, but you can see the end from here'.

Spoiler:
    Is it ever clearly explained what happened to his girlfriend at the start of the game? I'm assuming she's not dead, but I don't think that's been stated outright
  • Littleg said:

Spoiler:
    Is it ever clearly explained what happened to his girlfriend at the start of the game? I'm assuming she's not dead, but I don't think that's been stated outright

I've only just started the game myself today and on the way to meet David Sarif on the helipad after the tutorial level, there was a small cafe on the way,
    Spoiler:
    with a news article on a table that stated that Megan Reed had died in the accident. There was a picture of her face along with people carrying a coffin in the background.

This game is already far better when playing it with other people. I wouldn't have paid attention to that unless you brought it up. :D

Also just saw an Easter Egg poster showing Final Fantasy 27 in Francis Pritchard's room. xD I was like "AWWWWW YEAAAAAAAAAAAH", for pretty much no reason. Also, a hint for anybody who is just starting out; in the very first area you get control, literally the very first area where Megan and Adam are talking and you get control, in that room, you can get a trophy. Just saying. :)
  • Don't believe everything you read Firlocke ;)

I am just past the first non-tutorial mission and going for a Hard full stealth playthrough. I figured if I am not planning on fighting anyone but the bosses anyway, why not go Hard? I also have already maxed out my Typhoon since I remember it making short work of the bosses last time.
  • FirLocke said:

This game is already far better when playing it with other people. I wouldn't have paid attention to that unless you brought it up. :D

...And here was me thinking that, because I play through games so slowly, I'd be able to learn from everyone else's progress but you've already pointed out two things that I've missed! I did see the FFXXVII poster, Eidos poking fun at the mother company made me chuckle.
  • Dr Flibble said:
    Don't believe everything you read Firlocke ;)

Hohoho. :)

Doing the first mission now, so far I've actually been trying to play stealthily, but I'm really just crap at stealth. I've died a couple of times already! And worst of all I'm playing on Easy! I don't usually play FPS games because I'm one of those people who just don't feel comfortable playing them, especially after a while, but I really like the look and feel of Deus Ex, so this one is an exception really. The fact that I get to see Adam during cover and stuff like that really helps.
  • I played this game back when it came out for a very short time. When I went to start up a new game for the event I looked at my old save file and the last time I played was on 8/27/2011, almost a year ago now.

I'm really enjoying the look and feel of this game so far. The intro was really good. I'm surprised how fast I got used to the controls again, it feels pretty natural. As per the extra credit, I'm trying to be stealthy. I am going for no kills, I'm not worried about the alarms, I've been spotted a few times, and failed a hack once or twice, but I have managed to not kill anyone yet. But I have a pistol with a laser sight, so if stealth gets too hard, I'll just start killing dudes.

I really like the variety in which you can handle the situations. I'm playing completely differently this time. Last time I played this, I went with the rifle and tried for long range stealth, didn't enjoy it too much back then. This time I'm going for up close with takedowns and the stun gun. I crouch walked a lot during the first mission. I try to avoid fights when possible but when I can't I alternate between takedowns and the stun gun, depending on the situation. I sneak up behind lone bad guys and zap them in the butt, because that's funny to me :) At the end of the 1st mission:
    Spoiler:
    I was able to talk that guy into not killing that hostage. Yay! :)

My first Augmentation upgrade was my Hacking Capture ability, it's up to level 3 now. I have also fully upgraded the typhoon, but I haven't used it yet. I'm a little sad that I haven't upgraded my legs so that I can jump 9ft. in the air yet, but thats the next one I'm trying for.

I have done both side quests in Detroit so far. The jumping would have come in handy when I was trying to get to that safe behind the police station, but with a little searching I found a manhole cover and went into the sewers. At one point there was a guy blocking my way down there, so I casually walk over to him, pull out my stun gun, and look down at his crotch and ZAP, no one else saw, and I was on my merry way. :)

I failed on my first attempt to convince that guy to let me into the police station, (I convinced him after exiting the place and coming back in) but after I failed, I got a call from Prichard about a girl waiting for me in an alley somewhere, what was that about? Where can I go to talk to her? Is it important now?

I now have a choice question for everyone. About one of the side quests:
    Spoiler:
    At the end of Megan's Mother's side quest, did you return Megan's bracelet or did you keep it? I gave it back but I kinda wish I had kept it.

And thats what I've played in the past 3 days. I don't know if I will continue to be this detailed in my notes, or if I need to, but we'll see I guess. :)
  • Ligerzero said:
    damn, the Olympics have ate up most of my tv time I'll start it after the games.

Double that.
  • @vampirelich I suggest upgrading that pistol to full. Its the easiest gun do it with and will come in handy in boss fights. Also, you get an achievement for it.

vampirelich said:

I now have a choice question for everyone. About one of the side quests:
    Spoiler:
    At the end of Megan's Mother's side quest, did you return Megan's bracelet or did you keep it? I gave it back but I kinda wish I had kept it.

I kept it.
  • @monochromaticx Oh cool. The only reason I upgraded it, is because I got a kit from a side quest. Is that the only way, or is there a shop or somewhere I can go to upgrade weapons?

I kinda wish I had kept it, but maybe next time. :)

Oh and if time permits, I am planning on playing the DLC Missing Link after I finish the main game. ;)
  • vampirelich said:
    @monochromaticx Oh cool. The only reason I upgraded it, is because I got a kit from a side quest. Is that the only way, or is there a shop or somewhere I can go to upgrade weapons?

I kinda wish I had kept it, but maybe next time. :)

Oh and if time permits, I am planning on playing the DLC Missing Link after I finish the main game. ;)

First, i meant to say the revolver not the pistol because you can get explosive shots!
    Second, yeah you get upgrades from the gun "store" in the gas station (which a sniper rifle hidden on top of it and you can get there by a ladder near the police station but you need a level 4 hack skill)
    There is also another gun dealer in the apartments building, same one where you go to do the investgation mission for your "working girl" friend.
    Also, the dlc is played in the middle of the main game so might as well play it in the first play through.
  • Can anyone answer this?

[SPOILER]At the end of playthrough 1 I remember having 3 TVs and 3 buttons to choose from, as well as a 4th button in another room. These determine what ending you get. However of the 3 buttons side-by-side, the one on the far left was not accessible to me. Can someone explain why? And what I have to do to unlock all 4 choices?[/SPOILER]
  • Dr Flibble said:
    Can anyone answer this?

[SPOILER]At the end of playthrough 1 I remember having 3 TVs and 3 buttons to choose from, as well as a 4th button in another room. These determine what ending you get. However of the 3 buttons side-by-side, the one on the far left was not accessible to me. Can someone explain why? And what I have to do to unlock all 4 choices?[/SPOILER]

Spoiler:
    In the last mission in Sebria or whatever there are two people you can save. Your Boss and the purity first guy. Saving them unlocks the endings (one for each). SO I am guessing you didn't save one of them.
  • Ah that explains it. Thanks mono. I think I might have blown the guy away. I'll be more careful this time.
  • I beat the 1st boss. It was easy, I have the typhoon fully upgraded, and 2 hits and he went down. He killed me on my first try, because I had never used the typhoon before, but I got him on the 2nd try :)

When I first got to the FEMA area, the radar says how many meters away from the destination you are, and it said over 1000M, I was like damn this is a huge area! I died a few times trying to get to the boss, and I didn't hack as many things in there as I wanted to (because you stand and people can see you when you hack), but I managed to not kill anyone yet.

I am really enjoying the world so far. I used a "gun" for the 1st time at the boss, and they are loud. I don't see how running and gunning can be effective, wouldn't you just have swarms of guys shooting at you all the time?

I got my legs upgraded finally, but I crouch walk everywhere so I haven't needed the high jump yet. And I've upgraded my carrying case (once so far), but I still keep running out of space to carry shit. I'm not sure what to upgrade next? I've just been upgrading things as the needs arise.
  • My playthrough so far has been sort of similar to yours Vampirelich! Stun Gun, close range and stuff.

Spoiler:
    I was able to convince Sanders to let the hostage go but I had let him escape as a consequence, and as for Megan's bracelet, I kept it.

My augs are completely different though. I've had 4 Praxis points so far, I've put two into having a bigger inventory, one into carrying heavier objects and one into hacking higher lvl terminals. I am trying to play stealthily, but I know that there are going to be confrontations, so I'm not afraid to be a bit trigger happy sometimes. Not caring too much about the trophies on this playthrough. I have a feeling that I'll play the through the game at least once more. Mind you, I had that feeling when I was playing through Heavy Rain - finished it once and haven't gone back since however.

Currently doing the Cloak & Daggers side quest, hopefully after that I'll do Tindall's side quest.
  • Alright.....I'm a bit lost, guys. I'm in Derelict Row, trying to find the antenna that's getting into Sarif's network for the main mission, but I'm also trying to find the DRB's weapon stash for Jenny's Cloak & Daggers quest. I'm also trying not to get detected as a bonus. I haven't found either so far, and I'm at the place where, well, you find a rocket launcher. :)

Any help?
  • GAH. I hate that it's crunch time right now and I hate that after crunch time I have to pack.

To be continued... maybe I'll manage a marathon session at home one day before I have to start work.

I'm at a point in the first couple missions, after the intro tutorial... not sure whether I'll restart it but I think given how long it's been since the first play, I might.

Cheers and I'll catch you on the flipside of moving.
  • FirLocke said:
    Alright.....I'm a bit lost, guys. I'm in Derelict Row, trying to find the antenna that's getting into Sarif's network for the main mission, but I'm also trying to find the DRB's weapon stash for Jenny's Cloak & Daggers quest. I'm also trying not to get detected as a bonus. I haven't found either so far, and I'm at the place where, well, you find a rocket launcher. :)

Any help?

I Never found a rocket launcher, and I don't know who Jenny is or the Cloak and Daggers side quest, is this before or after the 1st boss? If its before, then I totally missed it. :(
  • vampirelich said:
    I Never found a rocket launcher, and I don't know who Jenny is or the Cloak and Daggers side quest, is this before or after the 1st boss? If its before, then I totally missed it. :(

Its before the 1st boss :(

@Firlock: I didn't find that rocket luncher but i did over hear the conversation between the two gang members. Are you at that area?
  • monochromaticx said:
    Its before the 1st boss :(

@Firlock: I didn't find that rocket luncher but i did over hear the conversation between the two gang members. Are you at that area?

I have a feeling that I am.

I totally took that rocket launcher btw.......:D

vampirelich said:

Jenny is disguised as one of the working girls near Derelict Row. Just so you know, you're gonna need lvl 4 hacking for some of it. Or and AUD, of course.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week