The Secret World, Free-to-play next weekend.
  • http://www.joystiq.com/2012/07/27/the-secret-world-is-free-to-play-next-weekend/

.......... What? It's generally accepted that an MMO going free-to-play is a sign of dwindling players and subscriptions, right? Either Funcom is using this to market the game, or The Secret World may be the fastest dying MMO in recent memory.

I'll be logging in next weekend to give it a try, I'm not expecting much and it's really just to waste time until Guild Wars 2/Torchlight 2 releases, maybe I'll see a few of us on.
  • Awesome. I've wanted to try it, but I've heard lukewarm reviews about it. The puzzle-solving in quests looks pretty awesome, though.

EDIT: I'm going to join the Illuminati, if anybody wants to play with me.
  • yeah well..as much fun as it has been to play..the chat has been broken for going on 2 weeks now, there are countless bugged missions that halt progression..the crafting is buggy,the gear is buggy...quest rewards are buggy..and every patch they release seems to do fuck all
  • Crymzen said:
    yeah well..as much fun as it has been to play..the chat has been broken for going on 2 weeks now, there are countless bugged missions that halt progression..the crafting is buggy,the gear is buggy...quest rewards are buggy..and every patch they release seems to do fuck all

Hmm, that's a shame to hear. Is it pretty widespread or is it a hardware thing?
  • Chip said:

Widespread if the Gametrailers review is anything to go on.
  • I'm in. Fuck it.
  • I'm down. You can't beat free.
  • Eh why the hell not. It looked interesting.
  • Been playing it for last month love it . Still learning the mmo lingo and player setup .
    Im playing on the Levithan (RP) server but for the dungeons and what not its not ment to make a difference I don't know as only one I know who's playing it .
    Just signed up for another 3 months ... ( In game name = MrMagpie )
  • I'm in. This always looked interesting.

Here's the website.
  • The classless leveling system and the setting are really, really good. It takes the real world and injects it with a bunch of Lovecraftian-like horror. It feels like it moves too slow though; the first zone requires you to do a lot of leveling before you can take on tougher zones, and combat can get a bit repetitive. The game also is not nearly as hand-holding or linear as recent MMOs in many ways... the questing is pretty much DIY and moving to another area is too. I thought that was nice, but some may not like it as much.
  • Chip said:

its pretty widespread, aparently on the 31st they are rolling out a huge patch to revamp everything..i honestly hope they do because it is a pretty unique game..it deserves attention

EDIT: cancelled my sub for this today, they fixed some issues..the chat kinda works now (some channels still unsub themselfs and force you to resub them) to be honest i just got bored of it, time to move on to GW2 once it hits
  • Just a reminder to everyone that this starts TODAY, 5 hours from this post.

If somebody has only just heard about this going free to play for a weekend, check this website.
  • Well, I won't be playing this now, because the PSO2 English patch came out. I am now spending all my time playing it.
  • I'm thinking of checking that out as well actually, I saw your post saying the English patch came out and after I'm done with Secret World I might be diving into some PSO2 :D.

I've gotten a sudden interest in PC gaming mainly because my parents literally just got a new PC which is way more powerful than our older one and I can actually now play some games, it also came with 1TB hard drive(although about 800 gigs are usable) so I'm free to download a few games. :)
  • Well, I've just joined the game! I chose the Leviathan server, because MrMagpie said he was there, so if you're undecided on which server, pick Leviathan! :D

I am, Enigmatic "WhoWent" Splat. I joined the Dragon faction......aaaand that's it really, that's all I've done so far xD.
  • Ill be on in an hour or so will head to the beginning town and wander around with you if your on . Im Dirt "MrMagpie" Diggler .
    Im Illuminati but makes no real difference ingame well for me anyway .

http://chronicle.thesecretworld.com/character/MrMagpie
  • it doesn't matter what server you pick in this game, any player can play with anyone on any server..its just one big server split into "dimensions" as they call it
  • FirLocke said:
    I'm thinking of checking that out as well actually, I saw your post saying the English patch came out and after I'm done with Secret World I might be diving into some PSO2 :D.

I've gotten a sudden interest in PC gaming mainly because my parents literally just got a new PC which is way more powerful than our older one and I can actually now play some games, it also came with 1TB hard drive(although about 800 gigs are usable) so I'm free to download a few games. :)

If you do join, pick Ship 2. That's where the most English-speakers are.
  • This game......... it's like the developers either were unaware as to what was going on around them in terms of MMO's or refused to acknowledge advances in the genre even down to just payment models let alone the game itself. 5 years ago this game would have been amazing. Now, especially with Guild Wars 2 on the horizon it's not a contender for your time. I will say the classless skill system is very cool, not something I want to see in every MMO, but cool.
  • Well, I got into Kingstown and I did a few quests. That's how far I got into TSW. And I have to say I'm pretty disappointed. I actally really don't like the classless system. I know in my mind that it's a good idea but I've always related MMOs as to having everybody have their own job/class and a team will always need certain classes in their team and everybody does what they do best.

Along with the aesthetics of the game, the game had all this story that was forced onto me and while in a single player RPG this might have been good, the fact that it's taking its plot and setting waaayy too seriously, the epicness is disconnected from me when, in the chat, I see someone else speaking in another language or some dude wondering when GW2 is coming out. I feel like this game should've been like a FFXII style game. It feels like an MMO, but it's a single player. I think the game would have been way better that way. It also would've sold a shit ton, I think.
  • Played Beta, LOVED IT!

Defo playing again, so will join in on this :) Templars for me!

And OP is wrong about MMOs going f2p meaning they are dieing. Generally MMOs that go f2p actually have MUCH better profits than their subscription model, for example, Champions online's monthly profits had increased by 500% when it went f2p. It's just a switch on how they make their money, generally it has no reflection on the game whatsoever as most of the time it is not their fault. Here's why: there are too many great f2p MMOs out there to make them (players) want to pay monthly for a game. Also, WoW. WoW has a hold on the subscription market, nobody wants to pay for 2 subscriptions.
  • Squall-lionheart16 said:
    Played Beta, LOVED IT!

Defo playing again, so will join in on this :) Templars for me!

And OP is wrong about MMOs going f2p meaning they are dieing. Generally MMOs that go f2p actually have MUCH better profits than their subscription model, for example, Champions online's monthly profits had increased by 500% when it went f2p. It's just a switch on how they make their money, generally it has no reflection on the game whatsoever as most of the time it is not their fault. Here's why: there are too many great f2p MMOs out there to make them (players) want to pay monthly for a game. Also, WoW. WoW has a hold on the subscription market, nobody wants to pay for 2 subscriptions.

yeah but in the case of TSW, it is true, it is dieing out, its easy to play the game for a couple days and think oh yeah this is sweet, love this game (i was the same) but i played since launch up until a few days ago, ALOT of people that i played with eded up dropping out because of how buggy the game is and how boring the game got, im glad you find it entertaining but the game is dieing
  • Squall-lionheart16 said:
    And OP is wrong about MMOs going f2p meaning they are dieing. Generally MMOs that go f2p actually have MUCH better profits than their subscription model, for example, Champions online's monthly profits had increased by 500% when it went f2p.

Right, because their subscription base dwindles to the point that they barely make any money from it. No MMO goes F2P if it's still popular and still has a large amount of subscriptions. Oh, and no, WoW does not count as it's "F2P to level 20" thing is just their trial being marketed as something different.
  • i think devs will always try and disguise the reasons they are going F2P..take SWTOR for example..aparently the subs going to below 1mil did not froce them to go F2P..it was a choice to go F2P and they didn't have to..anyone with any degree of common sence knows that's complete BS.

i agree that it is never "we are doing sooooo well right now we decided to give the game away for free and let you play it for free" a dev or a publisher announcing that an MMO is going F2P is the equivalent of your GF/BF saying "i've been thinking.." it's never "I've been thinking, we should go have some crazy wild sex somewhere" its usualy "i've been thinking, maybe we should slow down a bit.."
  • yh SWTOR is dieing. Because it's not worth it's subscription, but....well i would say that it will probably be hugley popular once it goes f2p. But it's f2p model isnt very good :/ but there are other cases where game WAS dieing cus of subscription and then became popular again. For example my friend just went back to Star Trek Online (god knows why)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week