Please mod a Doom TC WAD for me
  • http://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/50772-corridor-7-alien-invasion-tc/

I'd really like to play the Corridor 7 Total Conversion for Doomsday, but there's one major flaw in it for me. See, I have a nasty phobia about skulls. They terrify me. Stems from trauma as a kid, I guess. Anyway, the final boss of this game just so happens to be a giant red skull with glowing eyes and weird tentacle thingies. That doesn't really bother me that bad. What DOES bother me is that said giant red skull also appears at certain points overlaid over a good portion of the screen (without tentacle thingies) and it doesn't let you move. This happens at the very beginning of the game before you enter the first level.

This is a game killer for me, but I'd still really like to play it. What I'd like some kind soul to do for me is to mod the graphics in one of the WAD files so that the skull is replaced with a transparent image. (An image of nothing, so that I won't see the skull or anything else when it's scripted to appear.)

I'll even give you instructions of how to do it:

* Download the total conversion files from above
    * Download eXtendable WAD Editor (XWE) here: http://www.doomworld.com/xwe/ (It doesn't need installation, just plop it somewhere you'll remember it.)
    * Extract C7TCv12.zip somewhere
    * In the folder you extracted it to, go to Data/JDoom/Auto, and open CorrrTCv12.pk3. It will open in any unzip utility like 7-Zip, Winrar, etc.
    * In the .pk3 file, go to Data/JDoom/Auto and extract Corr7Resources.wad somewhere. Open it with XWE.
    * Search the WAD's files for something like "skull" "rskull" or "solrac" (That's the thing's name, and yes, it is Carlos backwards) It has a few different frames in different files. Look specifically for the one without yellow tentacles coming out of the bottom. That's the one that appears in front of the door.
    * Scribble over the whole thing in the background color, which is either cyan or magenta. There should be a color palette you can click on to select colors to draw with. Save the changes. If you're feeling generous, you can change the one with tentacles (the final boss sprites) to something I can see but won't scare the shit out of me. If not, that's fine. I can deal with it as long as I can kill it and know it's coming.
    * PLEASE test it out in-game to make sure I don't get unpleasantly surprised. Start the game up and walk towards the door in front of you (shoot the mine in front of you too so you don't kersplode.). When you get right in front of it, there will be a strange hissing noise and you'll stop moving. That's when the skull would appear.

If you happen to get it to stop appearing, please let me know, and I'll send you my email or you can place it on a file uploading site. Whichever you prefer. You'll be doing me a huge favor by doing this. Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Christ, apparently whoever was working at Capstone when they originally made this game had a major skull fetish. There's also one that appears over your screen when you die, according to a Youtube video at least. Don't bother with that one, I'll just play in god mode.
  • I kind of want this to be a thread about skull phobia. Do you feel weird that you have one? That you can press against your face and feel that there is one? Or is it just in classic horror style SKULLLLLLLS that bother you?
  • Sunflower said:
    I kind of want this to be a thread about skull phobia. Do you feel weird that you have one? That you can press against your face and feel that there is one? Or is it just in classic horror style SKULLLLLLLS that bother you?

Classic horror style SKULLLLLLLS are the ones that bother me. Oddly enough, if they're missing the lower jaw, they don't bother me.
  • Interesting. I know it's kind of ugh but can you offer any examples of what's good vs what's bad? I'm really interested. Alas poor Yorrick.
  • What doesn't bother me: a half-skull simply lying about, doing nothing. On some occasions, a full skull looking sideways (I.E. not facing the viewer) is okay. Also, if it's cartoony enough, it won't bother me, like that one from Planescape: Torment. (Whatever it's name was.) The cover of Heretic: Shadows of the Serpent Riders is a good example of what doesn't bother me.

What DOES bother me: Pretty much anything else. Glowing eyes are bad, movement in general is bad. Making it look "aggressive" is bad. Unfortunately for me, Solrac has all three going for it. Do a Google image search. I'm sure it'll come right up
  • I googled Solrac and got a lot of pony shit. Is this correct?
  • Sunflower said:
    I googled Solrac and got a lot of pony shit. Is this correct?

For the current state of the Internet, yes. -.- God damn ponies...

Try "corridor 7 red skull" or something.
  • I guess this means that nobody wants to help.
  • whatthefbomb said:
    I guess this means that nobody wants to help.

You said you were just gonna play in God Mode?
  • Probably just more trouble than it's worth. Delete this.
  • whatthefbomb said:
    Probably just more trouble than it's worth. Delete this.

I can give it a go tomorrow if the Planetside 2 beta is delayed or if I'm not in the initial wave.
  • whatthefbomb said:
    I guess this means that nobody wants to help.

I honestly can't.
  • Tried to do it but opening the WAD in XWE just leads to an infinite loading loop for some reason, sorry.
  • Huh. Oh well. Thanks for trying, Chip.
  • Whelp, I was able to fix my own problem with a little creativity. Created a 1x1 pixel transparent image and replaced all the files that referenced the skull that pops up. I am now able to play this game. Woo!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week