Speed test results have dropped significantly
  • Soon after moving, I found that to my delight the Internet connection we got here was significantly faster than the one I had prior. I was getting clocked on speedtest.net for about 5.5 Mb/s and downloaded at (to me) the blazing speed of 700 KB/s.

I check it today and instead of 5.5 Mb/s, I'm getting around 3 Mb/s, and download at about 380 KB/s. What happened? Is it just busy at 4 PM on a Wednesday afternoon? I haven't changed any settings, and as an experiment, I tried moving my router closer to its original location, but the speed didn't improve.

What do?
  • Moving the router? I guess that means you're using Wi-fi instead of an ethernet cable. One can try different wi-fi channels (1-14) depending on what the neighbors have (they usually have "1").
    About channels: http://compnetworking.about.com/od/wifihomenetworking/qt/wifichannel.htm

My phone has an app for looking at an area's wi-fi signal strengths, so can set router to a less busy channel. (Android: Wifi Analyzer, https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.farproc.wifi.analyzer&hl=en )
  • in my opinion you are never going to get the most out of your internet when using wi-fi. i have the higest grade virgin media apply in my area..using a wired conection i get 6mb download speeds minimum without fail..using wi-fi im lucky if i even get half that speed so my advice to you would be to switch to wired. i know its a hassle..my pc is on the other side of the room from my router, i had to run a cable all the way around the tv and sofa under the carpet to conect it but its well worth the end result.

i have never ever been a fan of wireless..i even keep my PS3 controllers pluged into the PS3 because i just don't trust wireless. you will see a benafit to going wired if you chose to

my speed test results

DL: 26.82 mb/s
    UL: 1.94 mb/s
  • Crymzen said:
    in my opinion you are never going to get the most out of your internet when using wi-fi. i have the higest grade virgin media apply in my area..using a wired conection i get 6mb download speeds minimum without fail..using wi-fi im lucky if i even get half that speed so my advice to you would be to switch to wired. i know its a hassle..my pc is on the other side of the room from my router, i had to run a cable all the way around the tv and sofa under the carpet to conect it but its well worth the end result.

i have never ever been a fan of wireless..i even keep my PS3 controllers pluged into the PS3 because i just don't trust wireless. you will see a benafit to going wired if you chose to

my speed test results

DL: 26.82 mb/s
    UL: 1.94 mb/s

Unfortunately, it's really not an option. There are no wall jacks in my room and wiring up my computer would require about 25 feet of cable, and I'm not sure that my parents would appreciate cables running down the hall, if they even make them that long.

EDIT: Called tech support. They're coming to look at it tomorrow. Supposedly, I should be getting 7 megs, and obviously 3 is...not 7.

EDIT 2: Tech support fixed it. Close, plawks.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week