VOID by GamersGate
  • http://www.gamersgate.com/VOID

So GamersGate has started a new program where they let you play games for free, catch is you have to watch an advertisement each time you start the game up. Haven't tried it yet, but seems somewhat interesting at first glance. I've seen this done before but only with single games, never whole libraries like this.

Thoughts?

Games on the list that I recognized:
    Risen
    Painkiller
    Oddworld
    Dark Void
    Dark Void Zero
    Disciples II: Dark Prophecy

Not a lot of games on it yet, but it says they are going to keep adding more new and old.
  • Interesting. I could live with the ad if it really only is at startup as long as Void runs (I could see them pull a bait and switch easily enough), it's easy to find something to kill 60 seconds with before the game even starts. I can't imagine any relatively recent games doing this though. The current selection is pretty crappy, too, but if this can get some traction and get some more games I am interested in, I could definitely see myself trying it, and others too.

I think another issue is what it will do with your PC, as well. Hefty DRM will be a detriment to grabbing some of the piracy crowd that something like this might attract.
  • Hmmm, this is actually kinda cool. I can only assume the games they have up for the VOID system are those that barely sell anymore, so the ads must be a nice little profit boost for them. I'll definitely check it out, but as Gefum points out, restrictive and obnoxious DRM could be a real killer of this thing.
  • GoodEnoughForMe said:
    Interesting. I could live with the ad if it really only is at startup as long as Void runs (I could see them pull a bait and switch easily enough), it's easy to find something to kill 60 seconds with before the game even starts. I can't imagine any relatively recent games doing this though. The current selection is pretty crappy, too, but if this can get some traction and get some more games I am interested in, I could definitely see myself trying it, and others too.

I think another issue is what it will do with your PC, as well. Hefty DRM will be a detriment to grabbing some of the piracy crowd that something like this might attract.

This is pretty much exactly my thoughts. lol.