Ontario Interactive Digital Media Tax Credit
  • http://www.omdc.on.ca/page3400.aspx

^ that is a link to the information regarding a tax credit the Ontario government is putting forward to attract gaming and other software and hi-tech development to its borders.

I'll admit that I haven't had time to read the full website myself but the gist of what I'm getting from a quick skim over the documents is that devs will be able to write off a portion of labour, marketing and distribution costs against their taxes.

Immediately brought this question to mind:
    Do you think tax incentives are an effective way to build business in the gaming industry? Why or why not?
  • jigga wha?? I thought the auto industry was doing this for years...
    wow I thought I was in the OT forum...
  • knowname said:
    jigga wha?? I thought the auto industry was doing this for years...
    wow I thought I was in the OT forum...

Yeah the auto industry and the movie industry and others have been doing this for time outta mind

but I want to know what people think about this kind of break being given to game devs in particular

also

with pirating endemic, do the distribution costs even count; would downloadable digital media be considered a thing that merits a tax break on the distribution??

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week