June's Cover Of Game Informer Revealed: The Elder Scrolls Online
  • [CENTER]image

I can't express how surprised I was at this today. Didn't expect something like this anytime soon, but yet here we are.

Long rumored and much anticipated, The Elder Scrolls Online is finally being unveiled in the June issue of Game Informer. In this month's cover story we journey across the entire land of Tamriel, from Elsweyr to Skyrim and everywhere in between.
    Developed by the team at Zenimax Online Studios, The Elder Scrolls Online merges the unmatched exploration of rich worlds that the franchise is known for with the scale and social aspects of a massively multiplayer online role-playing game. Players will discover an entirely new chapter of Elder Scrolls history in this ambitious world, set a millennium before the events of Skyrim as the daedric prince Molag Bal tries to pull all of Tamriel into his demonic realm.
    "It will be extremely rewarding finally to unveil what we have been developing the last several years," said game director and MMO veteran Matt Firor, whose previous work includes Mythic's well-received Dark Age of Camelot. "The entire team is committed to creating the best MMO ever made – and one that is worthy of The Elder Scrolls franchise."
    An in-depth look at everything from solo questing to public dungeons awaits in our enormous July cover story – as well as a peek at the player-driven PvP conflict that pits the three player factions against each other in open-world warfare over the province of Cyrodiil and the Emperor's throne itself.
    Come back tomorrow morning for a brief teaser trailer from Zenimax Online and Bethesda Softworks, and later on in the afternoon for the first screenshot of the game. Over the course of the month, be sure to visit our Elder Scrolls Online hub, which will feature new exclusive content multiple times each week. You'll meet the three player factions, see video interviews with the creative leads, and much more.
    The Elder Scrolls Online is scheduled to come out in 2013 for both PC and Macintosh.
    Click the images below for the full-size renderings of the cover, and continue on to find out what other surprises are in the issue and when it will arrive:
    I feel bad saying I'm interested since Skyrim kicked me in the balls with all of it's issues, glitches, etc. Now, a teaser trailer and screenshot are being shown tomorrow which I'll put in this thread as soon as they hit.

I'm pretty excited to see what comes out during the development cycle, but let's hope this one doesn't get canned like the Fallout MMO that was in development. So, what are you guys hoping for?

Discuss.
    ---
    I hope this game shy's away from the common MMORPG thing with instances, and raids. I'd love to see the quest format we have in Skyrim, and Oblivion brought over to this. Bring something new to the MMORPG table!

EDIT: Forgot to add my resource - http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2012/05/03/june-cover-revealed-the-elder-scrolls-online.aspx

[/CENTER]
  • I was just reading about this. As much as I love the Elder Scrolls series I honestly don't know how they are going to manage to do this, and keep it fresh, without stamping over the canon. The decision to set it 1000 years in the past means that some of the story is already set out for them, some people will know of this through their journeys through any Elder Scrolls game - as the amount of resources and books that you can collect that tell you about the past is unbelievable!

This will be one that I will follow with interest, but a game franchise that has always been about you being the lone saviour being transformed into an MMO where everyone is competing to be that saviour sounds a bit difficult to accomplish. The advantage is that the game already lends itself to quest driven performance!

I would like to see what they will do to spice up combat (assuming it is anything like the other Elder Scrolls combat) as after 50-100 hours of playing in Skyrim/Oblivion I did get a bit bored or the combat.

An interesting concept, that by the sounds of it they have been working on for a while, and I will be keeping my eyes and ears open for something that truly inspires me with this game!

Stealth.
  • They stuck it in just Skyrim? They couldn't just do all of Tamriel? Oh well, it's an MMO so I'll wait to see what everyone has to say once they've played it actually.
  • XxBarretxX said:
    They stuck it in just Skyrim? They couldn't just do all of Tamriel? Oh well, it's an MMO so I'll wait to see what everyone has to say once they've played it actually.

GameInformer said:
    ]In this month's cover story we journey across the entire land of Tamriel, from Elsweyr to Skyrim and everywhere in between.
    Seems like they're not just sticking to Skyrim.
  • Cool, should be good. If it is all of Tamriel that's awesome. I just hope it doesn't mean the single player series will be on hold for a long time now.

Oblivion and Skyrim played like single player MMOs in a lot of ways, what with the quest system and dungeons and town hubs and the like. Seems like it should be a relatively smooth transition outside of the issue of combat.

World PvP for the throne sounds groovy.
  • Here are the scans of the magazine.

Thanks to Cloudenvy via Neogaf.

http://imgur.com/a/fO9Ty#1

Bullet points:

- Hotbar based, combat mechanic mostly similar to WoW (oh boy here comes the drama)
    - Stamina bar is main difference, will play a large effect on the ability to block, dodge, interrupt, etc., depletes as you use it
    - A tighter cap on the amount of skills in your hotbar, they're tyring to make "every skill cool" and not overload you with 40 hotkeys.
    - All of Tamriel... but some areas will be missing from launch, "saved" for future expansion
    - Approx. 120 hours to reach level cap
    - Will use phasing to try to make quests more dynamic and maleable. I.e., save the village or not.
    - In my opinion, the best addition is the motivation to explore. MMOs don't really push exploration, since they're zone based and tend to keep you to one or two or else you'll get killed in higher level areas, or have no gain in lower area ones. In TES Online, if you stumble upon a dungeon and start exploring, even if you don't have a quest, you will get a reward for killing the boss, clearing it, etc. And each town works as a central hub for quests simultaneously, so they want to really open it up and allow more free-form travel.
    - Public (non-instanced) dungeons. These used to be MMO staples, they've basically gone extinct. Intrigued how it turns out. They will also have instanced ones.
    - All of Cyrodil is an open PvP zone where players fight to gain the Imperial Throne.
    - The game will use an AI system to make sure towns don't feel empty for people playing at 5am.
    - No relationships with AI
    - Fully voice acted
    - Class based
    - The weapon you use determines your light and heavy attacks (2 slots), abilities take up the next few slots, and an ultimate skill takes up the final slot (sounds Guild Wars 2-like)
    - "Finesse" powers your final ultimate skill and is a skill based meter. It is accrued by playing well; interrupting skills, a well-timed block, etc.
  • I`m really digging the sounds of that. From what I read in the article, and on the bullet points makes it seem like TES Online won`t be your standard MMO. I`m eagerly awaiting more details.
  • These 11 screenshots look...bad.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/viewer.php?mode=article&id=282253#top_banner

If you didn't tell me what game it was for, I wouldn't have been able to guess.
  • Looks more like Reckoning than Elder Scrolls.
  • It's the Hero engine, same as SWTOR. For an MMO it looks pretty solid, for a PC RPG it doesn't. The colour scheme is a bit weird though. Maybe they're refreshing it because of the timeframe?

Manio said:
    I`m really digging the sounds of that. From what I read in the article, and on the bullet points makes it seem like TES Online won`t be your standard MMO. I`m eagerly awaiting more details.

Eh, any dev who says "not your standard MMO/FPS/etc." is mostly suggestive selling. They even admit the game mechanics are WoW like on many occasions. The certain gameplay standbys of games like WoW, COD, etc., are still selling, so there's little financial incentive to change them right now.

This looks like a fantasy MMO with standard questing and combat, the main differences being emphasis on exploration, and how the stamina works. And I guess full voice acting is not really done outside of SWTOR. If that's enough for people (probably will be for me, plus I love the TES world) than it'll be up your alley, if not, then, well, it won't be.
  • I heard that they weren't adding real-time combat because of latency issues. Bullshit. Tera does real-time combat just fine, as does Mortal Online which is a lot like Elder Scrolls. Neither have lag issues.
  • Now that I see the info about this, I'm disappointed. that's all I have to say.
  • NewAgeRed said:
    Now that I see the info about this, I'm disappointed. that's all I have to say.

Same here. I didn't care much about an MMO TES, but now any interest I had for it is gone. Maybe an actual gameplay trailer will change that.....maybe.
  • Looks like a big pile of

[video=youtube;xRwR-li5t_A]
  • It would be cool if they made a Elder scrolls game that lets you roam the whole of Tamriel. That would be so fucking awesome.Zynga has been known for the developer of social games, but the folks at Zynga now publishes puzzle games such as bubble safari and recently I noticed koram game has developed a game based on anime style serenia fantasy series, which try to compete againt pockie pirates. Such a browser game can be better than a single social game. happy with your friends and family.
  • when this was announced..i though "aww yeah goodbye swtor hello TES Online" after hearing more about it its just "goodbye swtor". if a public beta is released..or if i get the chance to be in a closed beta..i will try it but i can already tell i won't buy it

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week