Canada deciding whether to debate definition of start of life
  • This is a major story in Canada at the moment. A Conservative party back-bench parliamentarian wants to open a committee to reevaluate the current definition of the beginning of life. It is widely expected that this will result in a reopening of the abortion debate. While the Prime Minister himself has spoken against the move and stated he will not support it, the party's ties are such that a majority of their supporters seem to want this debate to happen.

Video of MPs statements:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/video/video-backbench-abortion-bill-angers-mps/article2415578/?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_content=2415578

What do you think?

Are our definitions of things as basic as start of life so antiquated that they need to be revisited? Or are they fine the way they are?

Are there any other legal definitions that need to change with the times?
  • One time I decided to chat up this asian girl and through the flow of conversation came the discussion of age. I was perplexed when she stated she was 21 in US years. Of course, I intuitively questioned what she meant and when she found the proper translation she explained to me that Koreans consider the moment of conception as the date of birth. This blew my mind. I had never considered that a birth day was anything but the day you escaped the womb with glorious violence. Now though, it makes sense that if your culture believes life starts at conception then you would celebrate the day of your birth differently. I bring this up because if enough Canadians believe that life starts at conception then maybe it does need to be discussed further. That said, I wouldn't want to discuss it with anyone publicly or not. It's just one of those things people blindly cling on to with faith and close there eyes to any sight that may disprove any illusions the mind holds.
  • I know one thing... I might just avoid that conversation all together...
  • I get the concept of your birthday being the day of conception. But I would think this would be hard to know in some cases. If you have sex every day you wont know your pregnant till you miss your period so how can you know which specific day conception took place after 3 weeks of sex
  • In Korea it's not the date of conception, it's still the date you pop out of the womb that is considered your birthday, it's just that in Korea they start the count at 1 instead of 0 like most of other countries. Where we'd be celebrating our 1st birthdays, they would be on their 2nd. I've heard some people in Korea will tack on extra year for their first New Year too, so it is possible for a baby in Korea to be 2 years old before a baby in the west has even reached 1. They don't use this system for legal matters though; for age of consent and the military etc they use the western system.
  • Dr Flibble said:
    In Korea it's not the date of conception, it's still the date you pop out of the womb that is considered your birthday, it's just that in Korea they start the count at 1 instead of 0 like most of other countries. Where we'd be celebrating our 1st birthdays, they would be on their 2nd. I've heard some people in Korea will tack on extra year for their first New Year too, so it is possible for a baby in Korea to be 2 years old before a baby in the west has even reached 1. They don't use this system for legal matters though; for age of consent and the military etc they use the western system.

Thank you for the clarification. It was extremely difficult to understand what she was trying to imply because she barely spoke English. Still the whole idea of counting birthdays different blew my mind.
  • quahgg said:
    Thank you for the clarification. It was extremely difficult to understand what she was trying to imply because she barely spoke English. Still the whole idea of counting birthdays different blew my mind.

It is an interesting concept. It does make me wonder how our multicultural MPs might debate this, despite whatever religious beliefs or leanings they may have. I'm certain that for the majority of debaters it would be a religious or moral issue.

EDIT:
    I have just spent a few minutes trying to find any more recent articles on this issue to find out if the committee to study the issue of the start of human life will indeed be formed. So far I've come across nothing except opinion pieces. I will try to keep this thread updated as best I'm able as the situation continues.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week