Scandal or Not
  • http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/16/us/secret-service-scandal-prompts-obama-comment.html

    Just wanted to get some thoughts on if it is okay for the US secret service to soliciting prostitutes while in another country.
  • If they want to use prostitutes fine. Refusing to pay them and then getting caught with them is not. There are far bigger problems out there than some Secret Service dudes getting their knobs slobbed while in another country.

    I did like this comment from Obama:

    He added, “We’re representing the people of the United States when we travel out of the country.”


    Funny that, I would think the US going to another country and screwing the local population to be a PERFECT representation of typical United States conduct.
  • lol I vvoted no, but like flibble I really don't think it matters. Foreign relations, who gives a shit??
  • I wouldn't call it a scandal, but a problem, yeah. These service members weren't assigned specifically to the president, but they should know better. The night before JFK was assassinated, a bunch of secret service members were out partying and drinking. Not illegal, but it can impair their ability to do their job. Cartagena is also a hotspot for sexual exploitation and the sex trade, so it's a really "dicey" area to partake in this.
  • I dont see an issue with it at all. Prostitution is not as bad as some people make it out to be. Yeah there are always better ways to make your money and there is defiantly not a retirement plan with it but it is a job. One that is not even illegal in every state in the US. What they do in their off time has nothing to do with the public. Fact of the matter is that most Americans think that things are their business and rights to know when it is not- not just Americans the whole world.

    What people do in their off time has nothing to do with the rest of the world but every time there is a laps in judgment the Americans are the first to say oh thats bad. What right did you have in the first place to even stick your nose there?
  • jaded_sapphire said:
    I dont see an issue with it at all. Prostitution is not as bad as some people make it out to be.


    I don't know how prostitution works in the US except for what I learned from movies and GTA, but prostitution is not such a cut and dry business in the world. In some countries prostitution is every bit as bad (and worse) than many people think it is. Colombia is one of the more infamous countries out there, for both child prostitution and human trafficking, so I'd guess there's no union for prostitutes there. In that light, it's pretty bad form for a representative of the US government and nation to be caught diddling them. The actual concept of people paying one another for sex I have no problem with, however from what I read these boys didn't even want to pay either!
  • I wouldn't want to pay for a colombian whore either. Then again, these asshats just needed to go to the local hotspot on the off time and flash some gold jewelry and someone would have taken them home for free. That's government for you though, paying way to much for something that cost nothing, or just taking it.
  • the secret service wasn't secret ey?
  • *was going to go on a tangent of why being a prostitute is okay and it doesn't matter who the clients are as long as it is in the off time but... I will keep it on topic about the secret service thing.

    I still don't see it as an issue (other than yeah they tried to skip out on the bill). To look into someones bed room for what ever reason is fucked up. Just because someone is in a spotlight doesn't make the act any better or worse. I personally don't see anything wrong with being a prostitute at all. Would the same amount of ruckus be made if someone made a vid of two of the agents were getting it on furry style? That may have made the news still but it would by no means be a 'scandal'

    On a side note I am wondering who the other person that voted YES...
  • jaded_sapphire said:
    *was going to go on a tangent of why being a prostitute is okay and it doesn't matter who the clients are as long as it is in the off time but... I will keep it on topic about the secret service thing.

    I still don't see it as an issue (other than yeah they tried to skip out on the bill). To look into someones bed room for what ever reason is fucked up. Just because someone is in a spotlight doesn't make the act any better or worse. I personally don't see anything wrong with being a prostitute at all. Would the same amount of ruckus be made if someone made a vid of two of the agents were getting it on furry style? That may have made the news still but it would by no means be a 'scandal'

    On a side note I am wondering who the other person that voted YES...


    You know 1 of the people who voted "Yes"?

    It's your thread, if you want to take it off on a tangent go ahead.

    The issue is that prostitution in the country in question is synonymous with kiddie fiddling, human trafficking, and slavery, and reps of the US government got caught dealing in it. It was also totally avoidable if they'd just paid up and got the girls/boys/sheep out of the room before 7, as the hotel requested. Of course the media is going to jump all over this.

    There is nothing wrong with being a prostitute per se, IF it is the vocation you've chosen for yourself. In Colombia however, it is highly likely that this is not going to be the case. By getting caught participating in the country's prostitution problem, these idiots have inadvertently endorsed it, and that's how many people will see it and paint it. Good ol' USA, freedom fighter and bringer of democracy, taking part in an industry that not only is Colombia's government supposedly trying to clamp down on, but in which pedo-slavery is rampant. You really can't see why people would make a fuss about this?

    You are right however that if the Service guys were dressed as Pokemon and doing each other in that hotel, nobody would have given a shit, because that is a totally different thing, and has nothing to do with prostitutes, pedophiles, slave markets, and all that other wholesome family stuff. We also wouldn't have ever heard about it in the first place, because it would not have attracted police attention and therefore would not have been reported for the media to ever pick up on.
  • Dr Flibble said:
    The issue is that prostitution in the country in question is synonymous with kiddie fiddling, human trafficking, and slavery, and reps of the US government got caught dealing in it. It was also totally avoidable if they'd just paid up and got the girls/boys/sheep out of the room before 7, as the hotel requested. Of course the media is going to jump all over this.


    I was not aware that people still did human trafficking and slavery. If someone is forced to be a hooker than yeah I can see the issue. If they are doing it of their own free will I see no issue at all.
  • More slaves today than ever in world history. Proportion is lower, but raw numbers are still horrendous. Human trafficking occurs in basically every country on earth.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week