The Brighter Side of things
  • I know that lately there has been allot of talk on how gamers as a whole fit into stereo types that some people believe leads to 40 year old virgins, people lacking social skills and leading a life where finding a partner is hard. I think that the one thing that has not really been said lately is that all gamers sit at home in their mom’s basement eating pork rinds and drinking mountain dew as they engross them self in wow or some other mmo. I could be wrong but there have certainly been a lot of negative threads lately.

So while sitting here thinking of things that could bring some of the positive back into NT i thought of a few things that I could do that might help stop some of the fighting that we have been having for a while now. Here is one of the things that I came up with for the OT.

As a gamer it is expected of me to have very few talents and interests that lay outside of the realm of games but as everyone on here knows that is an unjust statement made by others that thinks gamers are those kids with big black plastic glasses with tape that held them together in the center and ink stains on the front of their shirts where their pocket protector got a hole in it from over use. Oh how I miss the good old D&D days ;) Gamers as a group have had a bad reputation for little to no reason at all. We all know that this is not true... Well most of us at least. So go on, its time to brag a little about non game stuff that you love and may or may not be good at.

I will leave my response to my own question for a later post…
  • I'm not sure I would say i'm good at these things. In fact I think my reply will be what other things I enjoy that have fuck all to do with gaming. That is mainly football (soccer) I used to play allot but lately because of work it has mainly been watching it. Going to see my local team every Saturday at my local town and recently at Wembley watching them lift the Johnston's paint trophy. That day was magical. One of the best experiences of my life and I will never forget it.
  • Everything about art, and design. My guilty pleasure in this is actually fashion. I have a weakness for a well-tailored dress.

I'm a passably good painter. But it's been ages since I did it. I've really gotta get into that again.

I also really enjoy writing songs and poetry but I haven't the courage to sing them or perform them; mainly because I feel I have no talent and it'd just be stupid. In other words, hugely self-conscious about it :P I feel like I'm in my infancy of learning when it comes to lyricism. But I have a decent voice... I just wish it was a voice more suited to punk and rock than the soft crooning melodies of the 40s and 50s which I will sing to myself from time to time.

This old jazz standard is a favourite: Love Me or Leave Me
    [video=youtube;Cus9SXSzzVo]

Here's another: Stormy Weather
    [video=youtube;QCG3kJtQBKo]

Speaking of singing, I taught myself Bizet's Carmen..... but I suck at it. :D
    Speaking of music: I used to be able to play the saxophone. I taught myself how to play guitar poorly... enough to sing along to. And piano I can play by ear. To a degree. I can't sing and play piano though. Besides, I'm not great at that either. Doc's miles beyond anything I could touch.

I also love reading.... though my pace is not voracious.... it takes me months sometimes to finish a book because I will read in 20-minutes-before-bed snippets. That's part of why the whole Books for Noobs thing died. I simply have no time and don't read through things that quick.

As I've said before a lot of my time right now is wrapped up in college homework. I'm doing the insanity of going back to college and discovering my inner gearhead by attempting to become an electrician. It's intimidating as fuck.... I'm pushing 90s, but some days I have no idea how the hell I managed it. Electricity is fascinating and mysterious.... and well. The future. Let's face it. Everything needs electricity. Hellooooo bionics. Hellooooooooo alternate energy. I can't wait to be on that forefront. Now if only I could wrap my brain around DC rectifiers/filters :P If you're thinking about being an electrician MAKE DAMN SURE you're good at math first, is all I have to say.

Speaking of homework, I gotta go.
    *runs off madly in 80 different directions*
  • I can not believe I forgot about my own thread... To many other things going on I guess.
    Anyways...
    There are a few things that I love to do other than games. Reading is one of them. I don't like to get rid of the books that I buy because I like to go back and read them several times just for the hell of it. Right now I am a little down because of of my book shelf broke so I either need to get a new one (and I don't have the money for that) keep them in the laundry hampers they have been in for about a month now and keep tripping over them or I need to figure out what books I am willing to part with... There is about 80-100 books that would need to go.

Another passion... Singing. I suck ass at it, but I honestly don't care.When I go to do karaoke its about having fun. Who cares if I suck? I don't and neither should anyone else?

Writting is the last real passion that I have. I write a poem or two here and there. I write a few short stories and I have written several very long storys that were more than 500 pages. The odd thing about my write is though is most of the time when I am done with it I read it once more to make sure that all the errors are gone and then I get rid of it. Don't know why I do but I do.
  • Glad you all have things you enjoy. Must be nice. I find it hard to enjoy life in any fashion anymore.

EDIT: Why is this noobie-worthy?
  • I also love to read. While my book collection is small, I look rereading some of them. Likewise, other books are the worst garbage I have laid my hands on( P.S. Never ever read Passion Play by Beth Bernobich, dear god I wish I could forget that piece of shit), but I can't seem to get rid of them. I am a book hoarder.
    Connected to the reading, I would also say I have a fairly vast imagination but I have no talent to express. I cannot write to save my lief, my art is terrible and my storytelling would be going in thousands of directions at any given point. So I suppose seeing events unfold in my head will suffice.
  • Zanmatsuken said:
    I am a book hoarder.

I know it sucks. I don't want to get rid of my books. I think I might keep them around for another month or two and see if I can get a book shelf by then. I managed to give away about two dozen and that was hard enough don't know if I can get rid of two whole laundry hampers worth of books.
  • My local library was having a book sale. Every book for $1 USD. I spent about 85 bucks in two days and they are still sitting in cardboard boxes(covered of course to prevent dust buildup) because I don't even know a bookshelf.
  • I'm pretty good at basketball and am pretty tall. I can shoot and pass efficiently but I'm too lazy and not super athletic so I don't really have speed or anything beyond basic ball-handling skills. I am a decent football player too I guess...not much else talent-wise
    I love sci-fi. Cowboy Bebop is my shit, I just started Firefly and that's awesome if somewhat, *ahem* "inspired" by Bebop. Akira and Blade Runner are my two favorite movies of all time. Aaaaaaaaand that's all I can think of for now.
  • @ Zan

After I left my ex husband 4 years ago I have bought every book that has seemed somewhat interesting that I could get at a yard sale for $0.25 or less. This includes books from clan of the cave bear to the mode series by peirs anthony. Plus a few stargate books, lots of forgotten realms. There are so many. I am proud to say that not a single book of mine is a romance.

After the bookshelf broke I moved the books that were most important into the linen closet (had to get rid of some sheets and blankets to make room) and that is full as well as a nick nack shelf in my living room (my hard backs are there with my jordan and terry brooks sets) and I still have 2 laundry hampers full of books with no where to put them. (believe it or not I am not this is true-not making it up)

TBH- I think I need to talk to a counselor about my book hording issue because I even considered getting rid of some dishes so that all of them would fit in the dish washer to make more room for my books.

On the brighter side of things- There is only about a dozen that I have not read yet. I really hope that one of my other book shelf doesn't break other wise im in deep shit.
  • Fuck man, I had a whole thing typed up, and I lost it because I clicked the wrong thing when trying to quote someone. I'll just be blunt and boring about this.

As far as talents or skills I have that stand out from the crowds, I have none. I'm not even particularly good at games; even my girlfriend, who really only played WoW for any extended length of time, can whip my ass in everything from League Of Legends to Street Fighter II.

As for non-gamer interests, I cook and surf occasionally, being passable, but not in any way remarkable at the former, and embarrassingly awful at the latter. I played saxophone for 9+ years, but was so terrible at is that I often pretended I had just recently picked it up some time in the past year or two (I was last chair in every band I was in, even in my senior year of high school, when there were at least 4 or 5 freshman who played saxophone as well).

Essentially, if you define a nerd/geek as someone who isn't particularly good at anything, including nerdy pursuits, but tends toward those pursuits, then my picture should be in the fucking dictionary in lieu of a definition.
  • whatthefbomb said:
    EDIT: Why is this noobie-worthy?

What can I say? Dudes love nihilism.

For a thread with positive intentions, everyone's being awfully negative 'I like doing X but I'm no good at it', 'I used to be good at Y but I hardly have time for it these days'. C'mon folks, don't hide your light under a bushel, be good at something and be proud of it! Heck, even if you're only alright at it, if you've taken the time to learn a skill, that's something to brag about.

Me? I've been playing the drums in bands for nearly 20 years now and...um...I know which end of the sticks to hold :) . And for someone that only does it maybe once a year if I'm lucky, I'm quite good at go-karting although I'm pretty certain that has a lot to do with the fact I weigh a lot less than most people and karts are very sensitive to their power:weight ratio.
  • jaded_sapphire said:
    @ Zan

After I left my ex husband 4 years ago I have bought every book that has seemed somewhat interesting that I could get at a yard sale for $0.25 or less. This includes books from clan of the cave bear to the mode series by peirs anthony. Plus a few stargate books, lots of forgotten realms. There are so many. I am proud to say that not a single book of mine is a romance.

After the bookshelf broke I moved the books that were most important into the linen closet (had to get rid of some sheets and blankets to make room) and that is full as well as a nick nack shelf in my living room (my hard backs are there with my jordan and terry brooks sets) and I still have 2 laundry hampers full of books with no where to put them. (believe it or not I am not this is true-not making it up)

TBH- I think I need to talk to a counselor about my book hording issue because I even considered getting rid of some dishes so that all of them would fit in the dish washer to make more room for my books.

On the brighter side of things- There is only about a dozen that I have not read yet. I really hope that one of my other book shelf doesn't break other wise im in deep shit.

Have you seen the anime, Read or Die?? Do you get googly eyed at the thought of books? lol
  • knowname said:
    Have you seen the anime, Read or Die?? Do you get googly eyed at the thought of books? lol

No and no. The reason I read so much is it is something that I can do while taking care of my kids while they are watching tv or something. Because of the lack of funds that I have I hate getting rid of things that I enjoy because I am worried that I will need them later on so I hoard them. This goes for food as well. I almost always have a month or two supply of food to feed my family in the pantry all the time.

There is another thing that have a passion for is hiking in the mountains with a back pack of supplies and everything... by hiking I really mean walking really fast, and by mountains I mean the muddy trails that hardly anyone ever sees where I start at the bottom and make my way up.... By backpack of supplies I really mean stuff I ask my boyfriend to carry for me. :D

On the brighter side of things I can do over 20 miles in the mountains
  • jaded_sapphire said:

On the brighter side of things I can do over 20 miles in the mountains

ICWatUDidTher

So this is horrible for my health but I am kinda proud that I can function on few hours of sleep. After staying up for like 40 hours, gimme 3-4 hours of sleep and I am good to go for another day. Given I'll crash afterwards but that is not unexpected.
  • really last time I went hiking with my boyfriend we did a little over 20 miles in about 6 hours... maybe 7 I dont remember tbh but I have pic's from allmost at the summit. The mountain that I was on was Mt Hood.

Zan- how in the hell can you go with so little sleep. Tell me tht you at least turn into a jack ass, or become testy, or something after 24 hours

Edit: Added Pic's of hike-a walk through the clouds and saw about 8 waterfalls
    [SPOILER]image
    image[/SPOILER]
  • Jaded, couple things.
    1. I am still young so I can manage without sleep
    2. I become quite a bit more testy with people and often am quick to snap at someone
    3. I am so jelly of you because of those pics. They are beautiful
    4. If I were a mountain man, I would want to live in those mountains. Seriously, #4 is my new background.
  • believe it or not those mountains are only 30 min from a big city. Oregon is beautiful, on the side of some of the free ways there are water falls right by the road. On the flip side the bad thing about that mountain is that it is a volcano that is only 30 min away from a major city. It is one of the most beautiful places that I have ever seen in my life. On that path that I have pic's of there are 7 water falls. One of them is so big it can not even be in 1 pic you have to take 2 just to get it in there. If you want I can post those as well.

I dont know if its odd or not but for some reason I feel safest when I am above the cloud line looking down on them
  • You should post those pics jaded. Make this happy thread that much better :D
  • there are over 70 pic's from that hike... here are some more that are my fav's. Is it just me or have the topic in the ot been going ot allot lately? Oh well here you go.
    [SPOILER]image
    Hey dont make fun of the way I look it was a long hike with some steep climes and I fell a few times and it was raining off and on till we got in the clouds

To show what we came up... Not bad for a chubby girl huh.
    Not far from the tree line.
    Top of one peak showing where the next one is for another hike for a different day. There is a small trail that links the 2 peaks together.
    Where the river for the huge waterfall from before starts. Hey I know that i look like crap but it was raining give me a break.
    breaking into the cloud line.
    Another river that turns into a small waterfall above the cloud line.
    image[/SPOILER]
  • your phone takes the most AMAZING pictures! lol j/k! If you watch the show Axe-men on History (or A&E) you get a lot of those shots with lots of trees in them (duh!) since a few of their crews are in the NW and Alaska.
  • knowname said:
    your phone takes the most AMAZING pictures! lol j/k! If you watch the show Axe-men on History (or A&E) you get a lot of those shots with lots of trees in them (duh!) since a few of their crews are in the NW and Alaska.

True Ax Men is in Oregon (as you know since you live here as well) but those pics were from the Columbia River George and not the Northern Oregon Coast Line out side of Manning and Vernonia or even in the St Helen's area. there are of course the places in southern Oregon but don't know what forests those are.

Besides what those people did to the coastal range is horrible. They did not even clean up the mess they left from the Typhoon back in 2008 that flooded Vernonia. If you ever head out to Astoria or Seaside on 26 you will see what I mean. I have no respect for the people running that show or the fools that clear cut. They still have not replanted there.

Oh and those are not cell phone pics they are from a good camera. A cell phone is useless up there. You just have to make sure you dont get lost, as you know it can take weeks for them to find you up there.

Edit: and its very good I had my boyfriend with me because I did almost get us lost but as he says he knew the way back because a man never gets lost

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week