The Elite Eight: Worst US Comapnies
  • "The Consumerist" has, to coincide with silly US sports, been running a 32 entrant "Worst Company in America" bracket. It's interesting to see how much of the tech industry is in here (and sorely lacking any oil or food companies, Exxon or Coke, anyone?). Besides the seemingly arbitrary and terrible choices (USPS and UPS, really? They're not in the worst...), it's sort of interesting to read up on who is choosing what, and why.

http://consumerist.com/2012/03/the-8-remaining-worst-company-in-america-contenders-are-an-elite-bunch.html

The bracket so far:
    Spoiler:

Any thoughts? Disagree or agree? I see a lot of missed opportunity here. A lot of the companies on here seem to be listed for PR or pricing situations, which are hardly the actual crimes that some other companies have committed.
  • Gamestop? Really? Ridiculous. EA? Pft. Bank of America...yes. Netflix?

Horrible list. I thought this was about them being legitimately horrible, not kowtowing to crying babies.
  • Sunflower said:
    Gamestop? Really? Ridiculous. EA? Pft. Bank of America...yes. Netflix?

Horrible list. I thought this was about them being legitimately horrible, not kowtowing to crying babies.

Yep. As much as we mope about Netflix or EA, if you put them up against someone like BoA, or even Walmart or Apple, it's not even close.
  • GoodEnoughForMe said:
    Yep. As much as we mope about Netflix or EA, if you put them up against someone like BoA, or even Walmart or Apple, it's not even close.

NOWHERE close. Gawd. It's like...how can you compare what BoA has done to Gamestop's...what exactly is the problem with them? Pulling Deus Ex: HR due to an online coupon maybe? For god's sake. Ridiculous.
  • That is not a list of horrible companies. It is a list of companies that mouth breathers know the names of. A real list would be all finance related after 2008. Netflix made some mistakes but remains the best entertainment dollar you can spend. Target? This list is just people complaining. Twenty years ago it would have been: I don't like the power company! Well I bet you like living in the cold dark even less bitch. Facebook? It's fucking free. I don't use it, and you can fail to use it as well. Google? Now we hate free awesome software. Uhhhhhhg
  • Wtf is this seriously? This is a list of companies that have caused consumers slight inconveniences more than anything. I'm not saying these companies are not bad, but I was expecting names of companies that are a real threat to things like public safety, the environment, ethical treatment, etc. You know, something like Monsanto? Halliburton? Coca-Cola? When EA or Gamestop get around to using slave labor and murdering union workers, let me know.
  • Brisby said:
    Wtf is this seriously? This is a list of companies that have caused consumers slight inconveniences more than anything. I'm not saying these companies are not bad, but I was expecting names of companies that are a real threat to things like public safety, the environment, ethical treatment, etc. You know, something like Monsanto? Halliburton? Coca-Cola? When EA or Gamestop get around to using slave labor and murdering union workers, let me know.

EA MURDERED ULTIMA

NEVER FORGET
  • Shit list. It seems to be made of someone who is against the cooperate side of the world so basically just listed company's that are popular that everyone knows and called them the worst of the lot because... they are the most successful of the lot.
  • vowel said:
    Shit list. It seems to be made of someone who is against the cooperate side of the world so basically just listed company's that are popular that everyone knows and called them the worst of the lot because... they are the most successful of the lot.

I don't agree with that. I think it's basically #whitewhine in bracket form.
  • I wonder how many of the people that voted for EA did so because of Mass Effect 3s ending.
  • What did Paypal ever do?? I thought Apple was expunged of all crimes lol (other than suing for silly copyright infringements... just silly, and that old xerox thing)... How did Paypal ever beat Charter??

Oh well it doesn't really matter it's a total dudebro poll. But seriously... what's the deal with Paypall?
  • Paypal has had a lot of questionable practices lately, including holding money for increasingly long periods of time, terrible customer service, and lots of weird account freezes, loses, and little oversight or look into how they run things.

I can see why people don't like it, but I find it hard to see it as truly one of the worst.
  • Yeah, hard to take that list seriously. In terms of bad companies these guys listed are in the featherweight division.

I agree Paypal sucks though. I had a lot of problems with them and found them to be unhelpful arrogant dipshits when I tried to enter into any communications with them, so they can burn on a stake for all I care.
  • Is Monsanto not a US company?
  • Squaresoft should be on here due to the shameful and dishonorable way they have treated their c ash cow.
  • I don't think facebook is that bad. o_O
  • Wal-mart, ticketmaster, at&t, and EA in the final four.
    for some reason I dont think this was meant to be some serious investigative reporting expose on the dark underbelly of the world of american corps. I think it was just a way for some people to dick around and have some fun. Of course it does seem like they just took the most well known bad companies. I just think the mood of this thread is a little to serious for something that I dont think was meant to be serious.
    and dosnt everyone breathe with their mouth?
  • it's a consumer site. That means it is susceptible to morons voting. The average consumer that votes is disgruntled. Consumers that are not disgruntled don't vote. Just like disgruntled consumers give bad reviews when they are jaded at a company even though it may be the consumers own fault. Anyways, don't look at this as a poll of the worst run businesses or the most immoral because it is really just a top list of who the public is angry at the most. When you look at like that Netflix and Gamestop make more sense. Actually in that light even EA makes sense since that whole EA pass bull crap and shutting down servers.
  • just checked up n this an EA is in the finals, i get the feelign this whole mass effect things has somthing to do with it
  • http://www.giantbomb.com/news/everybody-hates-ea-apparently/4070/
    Oh Alex, you slay me!

On a less light note, I feel like this casts gamers in a bad light. EA most certainly won because of Mass Effect 3's ending, Origin, and some sundry other less-than-likable stuff they've done recently, and it's embarrassing to see that gamers feel these missteps were more important than peoples livelihoods. The fact that companies that ruined peoples lives were shot down people were disappointed in a $60 consumer product is truly mind blowing.

I'm sure someone out there can put a positive spin on this, but beyond bringing the recent issues EA has had into a slightly more mainstream light, which I'm guessing will have little bearing on what most of the general populace thinks of EA (if they even think about EA at all), I can't see anything to take from this except disappointment.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week