Is "To Catch A Predator" an effective shaming tool?
  • If you're familiar with me, you know I'm a big fan of shame being used (and the death of shame with the advent of the internet, but that's another topic for another time) to effectively police truly unhealthy, deviant behavior.

That being said, do you think that the show "To Catch A Predator" is an effective shaming tool and has done some good in the world, in any form?

For those not familiar...

[youtube]s7ACJ4Acddc[/youtube]
  • The thing is, shaming is not an effective deterrent, and when you get something that becomes popular like this, the quote "guilty parties" tend to know to avoid it and merely hole up even more. When the shaming gets more severe and frequent, its effectiveness tends to decrease rapidly; there's an inverse relationship. Considering all the other problems with To Catch a Predator, like the shadiness of PerverseJustice, the show really has a tough time saying it is doing much of anything good.
  • I'd hope that people that would appear on these shows are already pretty ashamed of themselves as it is. I don't see it doing much in the way of anything though because of that. It's not the shame they fear, it's the going to prison part.
  • Chip said:
    I'd hope that people that would appear on these shows are already pretty ashamed of themselves as it is. I don't see it doing much in the way of anything though because of that. It's not the shame they fear, it's the going to prison part.

Those are the dudes that are caught, though. Who knows how many people stopped doing what they were doing due to this show? Can't know.
  • Sunflower said:
    Those are the dudes that are caught, though. Who knows how many people stopped doing what they were doing due to this show? Can't know.

Honestly I don't really see the TV show doing that. With how frowned upon it is in society, and rightfully so, I imagine they have done all they can to not be attracted to those under-age. I'm sure no-one wants to, they want to be "normal" and be attracted to women of age, I see it as a case of they either like the fact it's taboo or can't change their state of mind. Though there's no excuse to act upon their urges.
  • this is some pretty feraky stuff, imagine who might live next to you???
  • The show is good for entertainment if nothing else. The problem with shows like this though is that although it's good in the short term, long term (anything past a few months) it's useless. People forget the faces of those they've seen on TV only once. They may recognise a face but I doubt they'll remember where from. If you only pay attention to the ones local to you on this show then that's even useless. I'm pretty sure most of these people would move house not long after being on the show with the neighbours knowing who they are and everything. And people moving brings the next thing... Too many faces, can't remember them all so it ends up you don't remember any of them.

I do agree with the shaming thing though. Great tactic and may scare those people straight (the people on the show, not 'those' people in general)
  • Nah, I don't think shaming is an effective tool for these types of things. Japan uses shame as a primary tool of social control and look how pedotastic that place is. :p

Shame doesn't do anything but cause people to be more careful and hidden with their behaviors.
  • I think that there should be more to shame them than a tv show that most people don't even watch. For what some of those guys do they deserve allot more than they get.
  • Pedotastic?? OK, Pedobear most DEFINITELY approves :P

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week