Listener Homework: Stories about getting a game at launch!
  • So in the last episode we talked about all the crap we went through trying to get Crackdown early and at launch. Post here with your stories about the extremes you've gone trying to get Crackdown, or any other game or console at launch. Bonus points for tales of extreme hardship and disappointment.

Yw
  • so for the 360 i slept in a mexican mall, in my town (i play hockey in the ice rink there, so i payed the guy that cleans the rink) dude it was fucking cold, because the only place he let me stay was where the ice is kept, then like at 4 or 6 oclock i came outside and started the line, but the fucking guards where messing with me (so im acctually not that kind of guy that stays fighting against it so i retired to the first floor, and obviously i found there where like 10 more geeks like me (and the store was supossed to get like 15 consoles) i the whole place, so we made places (really weird everybody took its turn and was honest ) which really impressed me, so we just waited in the 1st floor until the starbucks opened (the line went loaded) and until 11 the dudes of the store (is kind of an eb for mexico is called game planet) he cames out and tells averybody aa we are sorry but only the ones that made preorder are getting their consoles, we were getting more, but they sold out before they got to the store (dude dont fucking mess with me they sold them to their friends, everybody was so pissed off, and suddenly this dude comes and says sears is also getting some, so we ranned like beasts (the line finished) it was just betwen our ability of passing the guards (cause the mall was officially opened) but you're not supposted to run so i acctually dont know still how i got there in 3rd and bought it, o hell yeah it was awsome, when i have time ill write my wii expirience, (aa i forgot to say that i had to ask my dad to let me miss school for the videogame and he rocks he gave me permission) yeah sometimes if u just say the thruth you get what you want.!!!!
  • The wii story, because of the troubles i had getting my 360, so i decided preorder any system since then, but when wii was coming out i was already in japan so damnit, japanes make lines even for fucking preorders, so i got to the store like at 11 pm of the day before they were taking preorders and there where already 9 dudes, so i had to sleep in the cold, but it wasn't that bad, and even the japanese radio came to take interviwes, it was really fun, but i am relly impressed on how japanese are so ordered, i saw dudes that sarted playing their ds or psp and never stopped until it was finished, (only to change the batteries) and even didnt sit like for 5 hours, anyways it was a lot easier than 360's and then i just got my ticket frro the launch day
  • I remember going to game at midnight for the release of GTA vice city, yea this is a while back, this was like the first time game starting doing that over here and the game was so hyped that there were doing a raffle so someone who was there queueing up for it at midnight would get their copy free. thier's about 50 people waiting for it, much more geeky than me and when that happends its kinda embarresing but hey who cares it was vice city, i look back at it now and i'm like WTF, but long story short midnight rolls around thier about to do the raffle these geeks ahead of me are in such a rush they stampede over one of the isles crashing it down wrecking the whole front of the store, games cases are all over the fucking place and everyone gets kicked out and no copy of vice for anyone.
    Followed by a long walk home planning my revenge. I'm not even sure they open at midnight anymore , i'll have to go drive for an hour like you guys. why are there so many retards.

-SmokestormX
  • So before I get bashed by halo haters, just to let you know, im not a 'fanboy' but i enjoyed playing halo 1, and halo 2 live was pretty decent.

so I decided to buy halo2 on launch day.. i had a preorder copy, and unfortunatly the store opened at 9am not 12am, but its cool.. so i actually got some sleep... and when i got to the store at like 830 ish, thinking i would just run in, grab my copy and get out cuz i was still hella tired.

i get there, and tehre was like 40-50 people in front of me.. like wtf... damn marketing propaganda for halo 2.. it made the game a hit before we even saw any of it. anyways, what really shocked me about the whole situation was.. this was during the week sometime.. i saw too many kids with parents waiting in line... missing school, ... like seriously what kind of parent says to their kid, yah its a good idea to miss your classes cuz we are going to get you halo 2...

im not really one to talk, cuz i missed all of my lectures that day, but im in university, im allowed to miss.. hahaha.. my say on halo 2, campaign was too short, the levels weren't utilized and much wasted space happened (hence lessening the amount of space for a better/longer story) but the multiplayer was pretty fun.
  • db84 said:
    i get there, and tehre was like 40-50 people in front of me.. like wtf... damn marketing propaganda for halo 2.. it made the game a hit before we even saw any of it. anyways, what really shocked me about the whole situation was.. this was during the week sometime.. i saw too many kids with parents waiting in line... missing school, ... like seriously what kind of parent says to their kid, yah its a good idea to miss your classes cuz we are going to get you halo 2...

lol if u where to lazy to read my story, my dad did let me miss school, (and is junior highschool(not even highschool)
    so yes theres a way to do it u just gatta know well u're oldies, and u would enjoy life way better :lol: 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
  • I pretty much either get one of my friends who works a dead-end job at one of the game places to snag it for me so I don't have to go in, or I go to a place that nobody goes near to get a copy if I just absolutely have to have it on launch.

My friend who did work at Gamestop has some funny stories, she's seen a lot of shit go down in the time she was there. One awesome thing was the 'midnight launch' for Need For Speed Underground, that not a SINGLE PERSON showed for :) hahaha

She worked the Halo 2 release and hated it, but not nearly as much as the goddamn Madden midnight releases. That's like the worst to her, she hates sports and jocks who play video games.

Me, I don't like bothering with big releases on the day of release, because...and I know this is kind of like hypocrisy, but I CANNOT STAND GAMERS. By and large (no I don't mean you guys, though I am sure SOME of you fit the bill somewhere) they fucking stink and I don't want to talk about goddamn games and what you heard the other day! Vapid, horrible shit. I'd rather be talking to a group of old people about what diseases they have than listen to someone recite what I read on the internet a month ago, while smelling BO and seeing them eat chee-tos for lunch.

FUCK. THAT.

EDIT: Also show some sympathy for workers there if they won't sell you something early. Some don't give a fuck, sure, but others are scared of, yknow, disobeying.

Or they could be dicks like me and do it on purpose. :)
  • SmokestormX said:
    I remember going to game at midnight for the release of GTA vice city, yea this is a while back, this was like the first time game starting doing that over here and the game was so hyped that there were doing a raffle so someone who was there queueing up for it at midnight would get their copy free. thier's about 50 people waiting for it, much more geeky than me and when that happends its kinda embarresing but hey who cares it was vice city, i look back at it now and i'm like WTF, but long story short midnight rolls around thier about to do the raffle these geeks ahead of me are in such a rush they stampede over one of the isles crashing it down wrecking the whole front of the store, games cases are all over the fucking place and everyone gets kicked out and no copy of vice for anyone.
    Followed by a long walk home planning my revenge. I'm not even sure they open at midnight anymore , i'll have to go drive for an hour like you guys. why are there so many retards.

-SmokestormX

Man, nothing worse than proving all those assholes right who say that GTA makes people violent. :)

We were a little worried that kind of shit would go down when we waited for a Wii too, but the Toys R Us employees went around and made a master list of all the people in line and they enforced it like crazy.
  • I had a job in a laboratory for a chemical battery factory (testing/dev and sh*t), but when i got word of the Wii release date, i started looking around. And i heard it was preordered a gazzillion times every where (i did as wel but was 8th on the list, wich is the same as not getting one in holland).
    As soon as i came by the store i always go for my games kick, i saw they had a job opening for a saleman/kassier. So i applied because i knew they get a previlage (not spelled right, right?) for buying this stuf. And last december 6th i got one already, 2 whole days before launch.

Mwhuaahahahaaa!

(Same story on the ps3. I'm getting one for retai price (€ 599- 60Gb) but with an extra controller, resistance, motorstorm, HDMI cable and black hawk down bluray movie.)
  • Panzerdragoon7 said:
    I had a job in a laboratory for a chemical battery factory (testing/dev and sh*t), but when i got word of the Wii release date, i started looking around. And i heard it was preordered a gazzillion times every where (i did as wel but was 8th on the list, wich is the same as not getting one in holland).
    As soon as i came by the store i always go for my games kick, i saw they had a job opening for a saleman/kassier. So i applied because i knew they get a previlage (not spelled right, right?) for buying this stuf. And last december 6th i got one already, 2 whole days before launch.

Mwhuaahahahaaa!

(Same story on the ps3. I'm getting one for retai price (€ 599- 60Gb) but with an extra controller, resistance, motorstorm, HDMI cable and black hawk down bluray movie.)

kool!!!!! i hate that where i ama living is the place that gets the consoles later (mexico gets them after everyone and fucking expensive, and now in japan wii was launched first over there even my cousin was pissing me that dhe was already in a xelda temple, aaaaaaa)

and dont worry about spelling, u're not native speaker so as long as we understand u (and people understand my bad posts) i think theres no problem.
  • I went to the local Wal-Mart here (a town of 7,000) at 11 on the Wii launch day to find out that they had given console tickets out 9 hours early! All 32 consoles were taken. I talked to one of the people there, and he said he was just in looking at the games in the display and saw people getting stuff, so he joined the line.
    I checked almost everywhere for like four days, and finally I called a Best Buy 20 minutes away. They had consoles ready to be sold the next day at opening, but I had to be at work, so I asked the only family member who had the day off how much they would want for standing in line for me. I payed my mom $75 (50 more than she wanted, but she deserves it) for standing in line for me. Unfortunately, they had no Wiimotes, so we were stuck taking turns.
  • I've only ever had 2 Experiances with waiting my ass off for a copy of game. One was when Halo 2 was released, and the other was when Burning Crusade was released. Both times I went at the midnight release! Both times i got there 3 hours earlier! and still was 4-7th in line!
    But this comic from CAD reminds me of Tobin for some reason lol...

http://www.ctrlaltdel-online.com/comics/20030227.jpg
  • Nemesis said:
    I've only ever had 2 Experiances with waiting my ass off for a copy of game. One was when Halo 2 was released, and the other was when Burning Crusade was released. Both times I went at the midnight release! Both times i got there 3 hours earlier! and still was 4-7th in line!
    But this comic from CAD reminds me of Tobin for some reason lol...

http://www.ctrlaltdel-online.com/comics/20030227.jpg

Hah, I damn near did that with Vince after he fucked us on crackdown.

I could have pulled a Reservoir Dogs on him, tied him to a chair, and covered him in gasoline.
  • im probably never going to get a console or anything related to games early it gets to crazy
  • Ok back when the N64 came out I went on the day after thanksgiving to get one with my dad (it was the holiday item that year so it was very hard to get) and I waited in line at target for 4 hours before they opened on black friday to get it only to have my dad forget his wallet so I had to wait in the store holding the console for another hour fighting off crazy moms while I waited for my dad to return with his wallet.

And recently with the Wii I had to go to work so I had my girlfriend wait in line for it (and for some reson she did) so I got my wii without any problems besides the fact that my Girlfiend can use it as an answer during an argument, but who care my chances of winning one of those are slim to none because I dont and never will understand the female thought process.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week