How the power of some words have lost their meaning
  • The other day I saw something that someone posted on facebook and it made me say wtf. A girl that I know(she is 17 now) posted as a status that her friend got raped on the track at school by one of the football players. This girl seemed to think that this was a good thing and others were congrautlating her for being Raped by this person so of course I start to get upset and asked her what the fuck and how could being raped ever be a good thing. Her response to me was that I needed to get up to date with slang because raped means kissed without permission now and when the person doing the 'rape' was this guy it was a very good thing because he was popular. I personally find this appalling that teenage girls would use a word like that so freely and in good spirit.

*So my question is are there words that you know of that are over used and have lost the true meaning of what they are meant to be such as the word rape.

*what are your thoughts on this; am I alone in thinking that this behavior should be corrected so that when a real rape occurs the full weight and power of the word is heard

or am I just a stupid old person that needs to get with the times?
  • we covered this in another thread, words change over time. its not good or bad its just a fact. i dont see this use of the word raped catching on though, i think its a local slang that will die off when these kids graduate.
    i could be wrong though its not like i talk to 17 year old girls much anymore.
  • Maybe if she spelled it like r4p3d!!!
  • Idiots have been using language incorrectly since idiocy was invented. This is nothing new.
  • Who invented idiocy?

CRC
  • even the Bible speaks of idiocy :P

"Proverbs 12:23
    23 A prudent man conceals knowledge, but the heart of fools proclaims foolishness."
  • CapnRedChops said:
    Who invented idiocy?

CRC

God, you know in his own image?
  • Considering how "rape" has become an online gaming term for "completely overwhelmed my opponent with skill and force and won" I am not surprised other idiots would use it in a non-serious tone.

I don't like it, but I'm not the one in charge.
  • over here rape means what it is suposed to mean and is taken very seriousley.....who ever uses it as slang for kissed is a fucking idiot
  • Language keeps changing every week, every month.
    The teens MUST invent new words or meanings, when they notice the old folks have adopted the earlier slang.
  • Just anonymously call the police over it, once they are scared to death of jail time, they'll stop using it like morons. :)
  • Don't know why you're taking it so badly though. Gamers also have a very different meaning for the word.
  • jaded_sapphire said:
    *So my question is are there words that you know of that are over used and have lost the true meaning of what they are meant to be such as the word rape.

*what are your thoughts on this; am I alone in thinking that this behavior should be corrected so that when a real rape occurs the full weight and power of the word is heard

or am I just a stupid old person that needs to get with the times?

The word has never lost its true meaning. If you ask people on the street what they think rape means, I'm pretty sure they will give you the actual answer and not "kissed" or "getting beaten in a game." *rolls eyes* The reason why the word is trivialized in our society is because the act itself is also trivialized and swept under the rug. There are studies that say some 70% of prison inmates have been raped while incarcerated. The reason why no one really cares to do anything about it is becuase the ones in power or the people that are removed from ever being in that situation (in prison) can look down from their comfortably high horses and see it as some sort of joke or anomaly. It's the result of being in a rape culture. People don't want to ever think of themselves as possible victims of such a horrendous act and most of them never will be...so to them, it's safe in their little group of friends to make light of it. The gamers that are saying it are also comfortable in their most likely middle-upper class suburbia surroundings with little chance of it ever happening to them personally. If it ever did, I'm sure then they would know the weight of that word, and I'm guessing they would no longer it find it amusing when subjected to it online. You can't deny its meaning just because some small slice of the population decided to make it edgy.

That girl deserves a smack across the mouth. Either that, or she needs a job at the local sexual assault hotline...I would like to see her throw around that word so casually after that experience. So anyway, yes, I obviously find it offensive. Seriously, the hell with those stupid kids and anyone else who uses it so brazenly.
  • Brisby said:
    ... she needs a job at the local sexual assault hotline...I would like to see her throw around that word so casually after that experience.

ABSOLUTELY.

If there's one thing that living in a small community, with everyone knowing about everyone else's business, it's that the world is a cruel fucking place and that rape, in particular, is a word that should never, ever, be taken lightly.

ON topic:

I nominate 'Fuck.'

How many of you got the bejesus beat out of you for telling your parents to "fuck off?"

I never got beaten by my parents but damn I said that to my grandmother once and she damn near turned into Samuel L. "SAY WHAT AGAIN" Jackson on my ass. I murmured a contrite apology and ran the fuck away after that, is what I did. Grandma's not a person you want to cross. I mean, well... I may be perceived as a battleax by some but at least I can argue I came by it honestly.

To me it gives new meaning to what one of my english teachers once said about using swear words so casually. He said that words lose their power over time when used incorrectly. In a professional setting I rarely swear, and doing so gives me a measure of authority or respect for some reason. I swear when I'm angry and people do generally take notice that something's wrong. Well, christ, ya moronic cunt; you better damn well believe there's some fucked up shit going on if I'm goddamned-well swearing every other motherfucking word!!!!!! In a more casual setting (like the forum) I'm more likely to swear because, hey, sometimes we get talking heatedly about certain things and heated opinions come out. If i feel strongly about it, I'm going to start dropping the f-bomb.

I think words can change meaning, and I think they should change meaning. But I do also believe there is merit in using words in their appropriate context.
  • I don't think that it will make much of a difference but I sent her a bunch of information (including pictures) of what women and even a few men look like after they are raped. I hope that she at least begins to understand that there are some people out there that get so offended by the word. What makes it even more of a kicker is that her own mother was raped when she was a teenager and her mother has had many talks with her about it and how to try to stay safe. I would hope that the pictures of people all bruised and bloody will give her some hint of what the word rape really imply.

Another word that I hate that is over used and has lost its meaning over time is the word abused. For some reason I know quite a few people that think that anytime they get into a verbal argument with someone that is close to them (friends and lovers included) they thow the words Why are you being so abusive to me. Or even better yet is when they say that they are in a co-dependent abusive relationship with their lover because he/she told them to go fuck off while they chilled out or im going for a walk while I chill out... How is that abusive? Well according to a friend its because they are left alone for a little while and are being forced to wait to finish the conversation/fight and that is controlling in a relationship.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week