Halo 4 News Thread
  • Well, the details surrounding this game are few and far between. That looks to be changed soon enough, so I figured I'd scavenge around for all the details I could find prior to the mass release of info and we can go from there.

Release: Q4 2012
    Developer: 343 Industries

Initial Teaser:
    [video=youtube;deGwykkr2z8]

Concept Art Motion-Comic:
    [video=youtube;vAKmu2yn3Fk]

[hide=A couple videos on sound][video=youtube;CUB7BeRoa-w]

[video=youtube;Lci6hIWxZss]

General Info:

"the beginning of an epic new sci-fi saga that will define the next decade for Halo … We don’t want to imitate what’s gone before. We need to find our own voice and give ourselves the freedom to take chances and push things forward. In some ways you can see Halo 4 as a bit of a reboot." -Josh Holmes

Gameplay:
    “Halo 4 will also feature the revolutionary new Arsenal Improvisation Mechanics that allow for menu-free, creative customization of weapons and vehicles in the heat of combat. Players will take their fight to a new level by dynamically tailoring their weapons and vehicles to suit any situations or enemies.” -343 i.

"Our community was really curious about multiplayer in a way I hadn’t seen before. I think some of that is that they want something new and new ways to play. Not just Call Of Duty and Reach and Battlefield and all that, but I think people are just looking for something new online and with their friends.

"I think we’re going to be able to achieve that somewhat with some of the stuff we haven’t talked about yet. We’re not trying to change the world and reinvent the wheel but we’re going to do something appropriate to Halo and its fiction that will be really compelling social experience." -O'Connor

Plot:
    Cortana is in danger: "Seven years is the lifespan for a smart AI before it enters a state called rampancy," he said. "Cortana was getting close to the end of her natural lifespan at the end of Halo 3 but she has been exposed to far more information than any other AI in existence. She's going to develop some muscle from that process but it also contributes to her rampancy - that much information makes things worse." -O'Connor

Set directly after the events of 2007's Halo 3, the game will have the Master Chief facing a new, "ancient, very dark" threat. It will feature a greater concentration on characterising John-117, the man in the Spartan-IV armour, and a "deeper, more emotional, impactful story, and a darker, more sophisticated theme," -Holmes

Recent News:
    [hide=Older News]An employee at 343 i. has been found to have tweeted the following message: “It's the best looking game on Xbox and any other consoles we ever made and we're all from AAA studios. So proud of team.”

However, good ol' Frank O'Connor responded:
    "Corrine is expressing pride in the team in a twitter character limit, mostly to her colleagues. At no time will you ever hear us 'officially' represent the game in those terms. So uncrank your hype handles a couple of turns.”

He continued in a later post, “The best looking game could be anything. Geometry Wars is one of my favorite looking games. Forza. Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet. Crysis. Gears. And let's not even send out a clarion call to Uncharted people.

This is not that other forum. We are not children. Accept she tweeted a note of pride in our team and move along.”

Frank O'Connor has stated on NEOGAF regarding the "perk system":
    “I’ve responded to it a couple of times. There aren’t ‘perks’ in the game as being described here. And classic Halo is still there. But there are things we will be rolling out soon to put all of this discussion in a much better perspective and I suspect calm frayed nerves. …We didn’t mention them. That’s why I put it in quotes. That term was coined by someone else to interpret stuff they saw in the UI. Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things and to be expected during announce fervor. And yes, it’s partly our fault since we re rolling out more information about this stuff at a later time."[/hide]

[video=youtube;7jTz_gY_0nY]

Can't Embed Gametrailers video:
    http://www.gametrailers.com/video/interview-story-and-vision/727566

[hide=Interesting Article]http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/121/1219975p1.html[/hide]

Latest
    Halo 4's various competitive multiplayer modes will feature new ways to slaughter your friends, as well as refreshed versions of old classics, according to a video interview with lead multiplayer designer Brad Welch at Game Informer.

One of the new modes, Regicide, is a free-for-all deathmatch in which one player is the "King," and all other players must attempt to usurp his/her throne. Killing non-King players rewards points as per usual, although not as many as are gained by killing the King, who has a substantial bounty placed upon their heads. Said bounty increases with every successful kill the King accrues during the match, until their demise.

Welch also detailed Halo 4's ranking and unlockable abilities system: Players earn XP as they win, eventually leveling up and being rewarded with Spartan Points, which are in turn spent on new armor abilities. "Forerunner vision," which grants the ability to see through walls, as well as "hologram and active cammo" were named specifically, though we expect that's just the tip of the iceberg.
  • Also it looks like a site called Gamerlive.tv broke the embargo and uploaded 2 screenshots of Halo 4 - http://www.gamerlive.tv/article/new-halo-4-images-master-chief-never-looked-so-good-0
  • amardilo said:
    Also it looks like a site called Gamerlive.tv broke the embargo and uploaded 2 screenshots of Halo 4 - http://www.gamerlive.tv/article/new-halo-4-images-master-chief-never-looked-so-good-0

Like I said, expect info this week! :D Those images are amazing! Thanks for the heads up!
  • Slixshot said:
    Like I said, expect info this week! :D Those images are amazing! Thanks for the heads up!

Apparently they are bringing back the Battle Riffle and are adding some sort of progression based unlock abilities - http://www.joystiq.com/2012/03/05/halo-4-bringing-the-battle-rifle-back-introducing-unlockable-ab/

I like that the Battle Riffle backs but the added ability unlock sounds like it's going the Modern Warfare perks route. I hope it doesn't go too far and end up making it so that the people who play the game the most have the most powered items.
  • amardilo said:
    Apparently they are bringing back the Battle Riffle and are adding some sort of progression based unlock abilities - http://www.joystiq.com/2012/03/05/halo-4-bringing-the-battle-rifle-back-introducing-unlockable-ab/

I like that the Battle Riffle backs but the added ability unlock sounds like it's going the Modern Warfare perks route. I hope it doesn't go too far and end up making it so that the people who play the game the most have the most powered items.

I agree. If they have to go unlocks I hope they stick with the Reach model and make all the things you buy/upgrade just aesthetic and nothing that effects gameplay mechanics. People who want that kind of RPG in their games can get it in other FPS titles. Halo, to me, has always been about tactics and skill.
  • the BR is back...that is reason enough for me to pick it up for multiplayer..assuming they take out crappy sprint etc..
  • OboeCrazy said:
    I agree. If they have to go unlocks I hope they stick with the Reach model and make all the things you buy/upgrade just aesthetic and nothing that effects gameplay mechanics. People who want that kind of RPG in their games can get it in other FPS titles. Halo, to me, has always been about tactics and skill.

This is in the OP but in case you didn't see :)

“Halo 4 will also feature the revolutionary new Arsenal Improvisation Mechanics that allow for menu-free, creative customization of weapons and vehicles in the heat of combat. Players will take their fight to a new level by dynamically tailoring their weapons and vehicles to suit any situations or enemies.” -343 i.

"Our community was really curious about multiplayer in a way I hadn’t seen before. I think some of that is that they want something new and new ways to play. Not just Call Of Duty and Reach and Battlefield and all that, but I think people are just looking for something new online and with their friends.

"I think we’re going to be able to achieve that somewhat with some of the stuff we haven’t talked about yet. We’re not trying to change the world and reinvent the wheel but we’re going to do something appropriate to Halo and its fiction that will be really compelling social experience." -O'Connor
  • Slixshot said:

Here you go:
    [gt]727566[/gt]
  • So after reading the cover story in the most recent Game Informer it sounds like they'er adding a lot of stuff that Call of Duty has to the multiplayer such as custom load outs and weapon modifications, they even added instant re-spawn times. But to be honest I'm still pretty excited for this game, a lot more then I was before I read the article. Also all the multiplayer games take place on a ship called the Infinity where the new Spartan VI's are training in the the ships combat room that can create any type of environment. The campaign sounds like it will be fun to play and the story sounds much more interesting then the last couple of games have been. They also revealed a mode called Spartan Ops that is supposed to be a more story based co-op mode separate from the campaign were new missions will be released every month like episodes but will not be any kind of DLC and there will be no charge for it.
  • Rooster Teeth made a short announcing the release date of the game: November 6th 2012
    [video=youtube;9t060JHOI2k]

Also, look out for a "special segment" on tonights CONAN.
  • November 6th? Man that seems like a really fast development time, they had to have started this literally the second they finished making Reach.
  • Chip said:
    November 6th? Man that seems like a really fast development time, they had to have started this literally the second they finished making Reach.

Apparently, at a comic con panel back in 2011, Frank O'Connor said it had been in development secretly for a couple of years. My guess is that they started during the mid-later stages of Reach development. Gotta remember that Bungie and 343 split prior to Reach's release. My guess is once the reach engine was done, they took it and began working on it themselves for Halo 4.
  • Conan O'brien will be in Halo 4. The latter half of the video is pretty damn funny :)

[video=youtube;GflJB-aM0wI]
  • OXM UK posted an article saying it has 15 Halo 4 screenshots but a lot of them look like rendered models and artist drawings so I'm not sure if they are actual screenshots but it does seem to be worth a look - http://www.oxm.co.uk/40794/15-new-halo-4-screenshots-master-chief-cortana-elites-and-mechs/
  • that grunt looks pretty cool, kinda remidns me of a pirhanna or a shark type thing 0.o glad to see they kept the gas tank on them too
  • Crymzen said:
    that grunt looks pretty cool, kinda remidns me of a pirhanna or a shark type thing 0.o glad to see they kept the gas tank on them too

They......... they kinda look like Locust from Gears, if you could get baby Locust.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week