Polite Euphamisms
  • We live in a world where the social norm is that we generally are polite and civil to one another. Or try not to gross one another out.

So there's a thing that comes out in our speech quite often that makes life easier: it's the polite euphamism. You know, that thing you say when you don't want to offend or hurt someone, or gross them out.

Living life as a woman, there are several I employ at a certain time of the month (< like that).

'Aunt Flo is visiting.'
    'I got a gift from Ma Nature.'
    'The end of my sentence. Nope, not death.'
    'The Red Tide'

Too much? Sorry.....

Anyway.... What's your favourite? Or which do you use regularly?

can't think of any
  • I always thought "powder my nose" was funny.
  • i don't know something like, i have to send my food out to sea?
  • Bout to go Alabama......y'kno......CRIMSON TIDE!!
    Get in the car i'm gonna go visit my good friend Maxi.
    Lady and the Tamp.
    Yes I made those up just now.
  • "The lights are on but someone's halfway out the back door" - I've heard this said around here a few times but I don't think it's common otherwise. I like it though.

"Chances are slim to none, and slim just left town." - no chance or shit outta luck

"a sticky wicket" - difficult situation. I think it sounds cute. :p
  • Brisby said:

"a sticky wicket" - difficult situation. I think it sounds cute. :p

if i understood what tallchic meant was making something unpleasant sound more pleasant. in my mind a sticky wicket does the opposite.
  • To folks such as myself, Euphamisms are made for just the opposite, their made to gross ppl out!! The one I hear the most is 'I'm gonna go drop a deuce'. I'm sure we all know what that means (I need to go number 2!!). There was lots of others I used and heard in my college days but... I can't think of any.
  • so drop a deuce grosses you out more than take a shit? honestly i dont see the difference there.
  • My faves:

falling to the Reds
    That time of the month where I am not at my best because I am bleeding from my vagina.
  • I swear my kids really think that they have an Aunt Flow that visits me every month but only when they are sleeping. Other than that... I got me a my little pony- means fucked dude with small ____. I was praying to the Gods-got fubar. Another one of my fav's is hey did you rtfb (read the fucking book). Much nicer then telling someone that they are a dumb ass imo.
  • sorta surprised to not have seen this yet...

Hot Coffee.
  • Crikey! Check out my one-eyed trouser snake!

I'm off to shake hands with the unemployed.

Well, there's no chance of picking up, the night's a washout, I'm gonna go home and burp the baby.

I gotta go drop the kids off at the pool.

Urrgh, time to use the great white telephone to God.

Yep, I'm driving the porcelain bus.

I'm gonna ralph / chuck / T.C.* / do a technicolour rainbow.

You got two chances, buddy - buckley's and none.

'A sticky wicket' was an English cricket term, but is now more commonly used to describe a difficult situation. Not gross at all.

CRC

* T.C. = tactical chunder.
  • somebody needs to wash your mouth out!! lol j/p
  • I am amazed I haven't heard the old standby

"I need to see a man about a horse." For gents that need to go to the washroom.

There's also "Number 1" and "Number 2"

'Powder my nose' is not one I use commonly but have done so once or twice at super fancy occasions for some odd reason.
  • I've got another:
    I am bleeding out of my snatch
  • to a Chinese man that would count as a euphamism
  • I'm a fan of the classic
    "and then the shit hit the fan."

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week