Forza 'Horizon' Leaked
  • Looks like this franchise is going ANNUAL! HURRAY! I'm sure LittleG will be happy, at least.

[video=youtube;3Nava72HTq0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=3Nava72HTq0[/video]
  • Alright, so it isn't Forza 5, but this leads to a lot of speculation since this trailer shows NOTHING. A lot of people are saying this might be the equivalent to the rumoured Forza World, which essentially would be Test Drive Unlimited with realistic physics. This actually reminds me a lot of the first Forza teaser, but if things play out the same way that did, this trailer will pretty much have nothing to do with the game (especially considering they showed off Porches in this teaser...).

All I know is that it's being worked on by PlayGround Games, which has a bunch of ex-Bizzare Games employees, and that's really building my hopes up high. If it's anything like PGR, that'd work for me too.
  • Ricers the MMO
  • Winsord said:
    All I know is that it's being worked on by PlayGround Games, which has a bunch of ex-Bizzare Games employees, and that's really building my hopes up high. If it's anything like PGR, that'd work for me too.

There are also a lot of ex-Codemasters and going by their tweets they hired a lot of ex-Bigbig Studios (they made games for the PSP and PS Vita like Pursuit Force, Pursuit Force: Extreme Justice, MotorStorm: Arctic Edge and Little Deviants) people too. Mixing all those studios together and having them use Turn10's Forza engine sounds like they may actually make a cool racing game.

I hope it's an arcade racer however the sounds of it being like Test Drive Unlimited kind of puts me off a little and I also don't want a storyline and characters in my racing games.
  • Yay! Annual Forza! Wait...

amardilo said:
    I hope it's an arcade racer however the sounds of it being like Test Drive Unlimited kind of puts me off a little and I also don't want a storyline and characters in my racing games.

...This. Chirpy, mid-Atlantic idiots blithering on at me in between races killed Dirt 3 for me.
  • Littleg said:
    Yay! Annual Forza! Wait...

I really hope it's not an annual thing like Modern Warfare (i.e. 1 engine and 2 main studios release a similar...ish title each year). I would be happy if Turn10 did the sim version and Playground did an arcade racer and I would be more happier if it was like PGR :D
  • Sorry to double post but I thought this might be worthwhile.

Turn 10 Studios' Community Manager Brian Ekberg just posted the box art and first image from the game on the Forza Motorsport site - http://forzamotorsport.net/en-us/en-us/forza_horizon_cover/

It looks like Forza style visuals but I like the background image. Looks like it won't be track racing.
  • I have to say, that's the ugliest box art I've seen in a long time. And the green Xbox case doesn't help at all.

Other than that, I hope this will bring me back to the racing genre. Forza 4 wasn't appealing to me (nor was GT5).
  • Here is the trailer for the game:
    [video=youtube;YvOPw720-r0]

Polygon did a video interview with Playground Games design director Ralph Fulton (ex-Codemasters and worked on DiRT 2 and F1 2010). There are some good bits of info in it plus a little bit of gameplay.

[video=youtube;YuhR2dzUeZA]

Also there is a gameplay demo here:
    [video=youtube;MAMvrrDP6Mc]

Also some more gameplay here - [video]http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2012-forza-horizon/731506[/video]

It kind of reminds me of Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit (in terms of street racing with a little bit of environment distruction) with DiRT style presentation. If the handling is from Forza I think I maybe picking this up on release day.
  • As well as announcing the track/music list for Forza Horizon they also announced the Season Pass.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/370030/forza-horizon-season-pass-costs-4999-new-dev-diary-released/

$49.99 or 4000 MS Points seems really high to me.
  • amardilo said:
    As well as announcing the track/music list for Forza Horizon they also announced the Season Pass.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/370030/forza-horizon-season-pass-costs-4999-new-dev-diary-released/

$49.99 or 4000 MS Points seems really high to me.

Well, what happened in Forza 4 was they charged $30 or whatever for the season pass, but it didn't cover the full DLC cycle. I wouldn't be surprised if their DLC numbers dropped like a brick after the final Season Pass car pack (I believe it was April?). They've probably just set it up so the season pass covers a full year of DLC this time instead, since I bet they make great returns on those passes. It also could be more expensive than the Forza 4 season pass if it includes a map expansion or extra modes or something.

If it is just car packs like Forza 4 though, then I'm definitely not interested in a season pass. There weren't that many cars I really wanted from the Forza 4 packs, so throwing down another $50 on top of the $80 LCE at launch, just to get a lot of DLC I don't really care about, doesn't seem very appealing.
  • Demo on XBLA October 9th.

Has anyone decided to buy it? I'm pretty excited about the arcadey aspects of it. But I'm dubious about getting this game off the hop.
  • I'm happy to sit and wait on this one, see what the initial reaction is. For all the graphics/frame rate/car personalisation/multiplayer/cars/tracks stuff that I love about the 'main' Forzas, it's the feel of the cars that has made it pip Gran Turismo as my favourite console sim racer. This game may well have been built on the Turn10 physics engine, but if they've monkeyed around with it in an attempt to make it more accessible, then they risk destroying what keeps me coming back to the series.

I'm away next week, but I'll certainly download the demo once I get home, just to see. What also worries me is this is being set up as a social-event type racer, and having in-game mid-Atlantic morons blathering on at me between and during races utterly killed Dirt 3 for me, so I hope that's not what we're getting here.
  • I've pre-ordered the game but I'm not 100% sure about this game.

Criterion have made some of my favourite arcade racers and they are developing Need for Speed: Most Wanted which will be out soon and that if that's anything like Burnout: Paradise or Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit I think I will spend more time playing that than Forza Horizon.
  • The demo is out now.

The more I hear about this game the less sure I am about it. I can understand why they dropped from 60 to 30 frames per second but after having played so much Forza 3 and 4 and with those games having really smooth images and quick controller response times I am not sure how this game will be. Although it could be OK for an arcade racer as Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit was 30 frames per second and that still played really well.
  • Gonna try the demo and see how I feel about it.
  • Littleg said:
    I'm away next week, but I'll certainly download the demo once I get home, just to see. What also worries me is this is being set up as a social-event type racer, and having in-game mid-Atlantic morons blathering on at me between and during races utterly killed Dirt 3 for me, so I hope that's not what we're getting here.

I'm back!....Aaaaand the above appears to be an issue based on my experience of the demo. At the risk of sounding like a complete sociopath, I just don't like a disembodied voice chiming in at the end of a race to tell me 'good job!'. Even Fancy British Man from FM4 is a bit of a step too far for me.

My issues with the non-stop in-game chatter, however, pales compared to...

Littleg said:
    I'm happy to sit and wait on this one, see what the initial reaction is. For all the graphics/frame rate/car personalisation/multiplayer/cars/tracks stuff that I love about the 'main' Forzas, it's the feel of the cars that has made it pip Gran Turismo as my favourite console sim racer. This game may well have been built on the Turn10 physics engine, but if they've monkeyed around with it in an attempt to make it more accessible, then they risk destroying what keeps me coming back to the series.

Racing a plane was fairly exciting, sense of speed was not too bad, drifting in the 4WD race was fun but ultimately it was also far too easy and felt rather fake and seriously removed from that delicate balance that driving a car fast in FM4 requires. Keeping the throttle of a Dodge Viper pinned through a series of S-bends is doubtless thrilling, but having spent all the years since the release of the original Gran Turismo learning the art of proper braking and car control, it all feels a little pointless.

All that said, all the Forza hooks of the decal editor, storefront and multiplayer/rivals mode make this the most appealing arcade racer I've tried yet. But it's still an arcade racer and I'd rather go back to sim-ing it up in FM4.

Is the GiantBomb QuickLook of any interest to anyone?
    [video=youtube;IJyi8cG_7dE]
  • So predictable, Egg. Do you ever want to shed the mantle of your country and try something with personality? Drop that Union Jack blanket you use as a cape and buy it.
  • Sunflower said:
    So predictable, Egg. Do you ever want to shed the mantle of your country and try something with personality?

What does that even mean? The 'dry' game I prefer is made by an American company and the supposedly more characterful one I don't is largely developed by people who made the Project Gotham series (i.e. Brits).
  • Littleg said:
    What does that even mean? The 'dry' game I prefer is made by an American company.

......... Which game is that?
  • Littleg said:
    What does that even mean? The 'dry' game I prefer is made by an American company and the supposedly more characterful one I don't is largely developed by people who made the Project Gotham series (i.e. Brits).

What I mean by this is that you want a very structured, dry game. Not that it is American - the Britishness exhibited is you not wanting anything different from a sterile and cold Forza (which is miles ahead of GT5, which is even MORE clinical feeling) - personally I wouldn't pick this up if it was like F3 or F4. F4 was even a stretch, it added a lot but didn't feel like too much of a different game from 3. So I'm ready for a change...if I buy it.

It looks to blend a lot of what I liked in Test Drive Unlimited 1. Which was cool. And exploring. Good things.
  • Chip said:
    ......... Which game is that?

Main-series Forzas (which are rather dry, clinical affairs and which I like) are made by Turn10 in the US, Forza Horizon (which apparently has 'personality' and which I didn't like the demo of) is being made by Playground Games in the UK, largely by people that have worked on previous arcade racers like PGR and Blur.

Sunflower said:
    What I mean by this is that you want a very structured, dry game. Not that it is American - the Britishness exhibited is you not wanting anything different from a sterile and cold Forza (which is miles ahead of GT5, which is even MORE clinical feeling)

Purposefully misunderstanding you to prove my point (what can I say, I learnt at the feet of a master ;) ), you're saying I should try something new, but that's exactly what I did - I tried it and, after saying that I hoped that they hadn't messed around too much with the physics of the driving it turned out that that was exactly what they had done. So I don't like it.

Besides, that being the case, how 'new' is this exactly anyway? It sounds like both Burnout Paradise and Test Drive Unlimited (maybe even Fuel as well) offered a lot of what's available here. I just don't like this type of driving game, it's too simple. As I said in the IRC, think how great it would be to have all those open roads to drive on with cars that were as difficult to drive as the ones in the main Forza title. Only a complete lunatic would want a game like that, but it'd be fantastic. Kind of like Dark Souls for cars. Prepare to Crash.
  • Littleg said:
    Purposefully misunderstanding you to prove my point (what can I say, I learnt at the feet of a master ;) ),

You...youuuuu....YOU!

• Turn 10 have announced some of the DLC packs.

In December they are releasing the “Forza Horizon Rally Expansion Pack” which adds rally racing, new cars and new events for 1600MSP or part of the season pass.

In October the "Month One Car Pack" comes out for 400MSP or part of the season pass. This pack includes the cars:
    2012 Ferrari 599XX Evoluzione
    2012 Gumpert Apollo Enraged
    2012 Alfa Romeo 8C Spider
    2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302
    2012 Lamborghini Aventador J
    1957 Chevrolet Bel Air

The rally racing sounds interesting to me and I like some of the cars in the car pack like the 2012 Lamborghini Aventador J but then again I pretty much like all modern Lamborghinis.
  • The rally expansion sounds more interesting than the Porsche expansion was for Forza 4. Hopefully they'll do the same thing as last time where it's 1200MSP instead of 1600 if you have VIP status. Also nice to see some a bunch of relatively new cars in the October pack, whereas for the past few months of Forza 4 DLC the vast majority of cars have been low-tier and classics/old. The older cars are nice, but there's generally not nearly as many opportunities to race them. It's also nice to see that the first car pack isn't just cars they blatantly left out that most people would want, but rather similar to cars already in the game or special editions of those cars. In the stock roster, there's already the 2011 599 GTO, 2012 Gumpert Apollo, 2007 8C Competizione and the 2013 Shelby GT500/1970 Mustang Boss 429. Kind of surprised the Aventador wasn't just in the game, though.
  • Picked up the game today, and am enjoying it so far. The club tag NTA was already taken though, so when I made the club I had to make it under the tag NTR. If it's someone from the site that's using the NTA tag just let me know and I'll switch over to your club, but I didn't recognize the GamerTag.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Most Popular This Week